Tampers (Common Items)

John

I currently use a Czech tool to tamp my pipes, but don't like that the face of the tamper is not completely round and a bit small. I've seen those pipe nails which made me wonder if there are any other common household items that you guys have used and liked.
Maynard

My son plays golf so I use golf tee’s 90% of the time.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

John wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:44 pm I currently use a Czech tool to tamp my pipes, but don't like that the face of the tamper is not completely round and a bit small. I've seen those pipe nails which made me wonder if there are any other common household items that you guys have used and liked.
Golf tees are good. I have seen people use a regular nail. I seem to do a lot of tamping with either a Chinese pipe nail or my finger.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
9 Iron
Founding Member

I use one of these 99% of the time. They’re fairly common and I always seem to have one on me.

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I use a golf tee. Easy and they are always around.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I've used the bottom end of my Old Timer pen knife, a thimble, a framing nail, a deck screw, a twig with a flat end, a 1/2" dowel, and an old AA battery(not recommended). On occasion I will just use my bare finger if I can't find my pipe nail. Bare fingers are no fun to tamp down a charring light with though.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
John

houtenziel wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:18 am I've used the bottom end of my Old Timer pen knife, a thimble, a framing nail, a deck screw, a twig with a flat end, a 1/2" dowel, and an old AA battery(not recommended). On occasion I will just use my bare finger if I can't find my pipe nail. Bare fingers are no fun to tamp down a charring light with though.
I like the 1/2" dowel idea. I have some spare dowel rod in the gararge from the pipe rack I just made. Thanks everyone!
John

Thanks for the dowel rod idea. Here's what I made out of one tonight.
ImageImageImage
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Cool! Way fancier than the one I used, which was basically just a 3" section of scrap dowel :)
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

While not necessarily the most common item, I had a friend who used a valve out of an old motorcycle engine as a tamper. That was probably the most manly/cool tamper ever.
― Theodore Roosevelt