Want to trade a Meerschaum for tobacco

harkpuff

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:30 pm

I have a beautiful hand-carved block meerschaum pipe that I wish to trade for tobacco. This is a pre-owned pipe that has had fantastic care and is beginning to take on the amber color change with use.
The measurements for this pipe are as follows:
Overall length 6".
Overall height 3" measured at the longest part of the front face.
Overall width of the bowl.....1-3/4".
Tobacco chamber width......7/8".
Tobacco chamber depth......1-3/4"
The stem is amber colored lucite that shows very minor tooth marks on the under side near the button.
This is a generous size pipe with a nice size bowl and is extremely light weight.

I would like to trade this pipe for just one tub of Hearth and Home Chantham Manor.

Please see the attached photos. http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/harkb ... aum%20Pipe

Harkpuff
This post by harkpuff liked by (total 3):
avidLegionMikeDennison
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:37 pm

Is it a push stem or screw in?
harkpuff

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:40 pm

Kevin Keith wrote:
Sorry Kevin. It is a screw in.
Legion

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:05 pm

What an intriguing looking pipe. If I lived in the states I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

Is the face a representation of the 'Green man'?
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:35 pm

Bacchus
This post by Kevin Keith liked by:
Legion
harkpuff

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:49 pm

Kevin Keith wrote:
Bacchus
Yes, I could not think of the word, but yes Bacchus. I think the foulage around his head represents the leaves of the grape vine or wine. I think.....
harkpuff

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:08 pm

harkpuff wrote:
Kevin Keith wrote:
[/quote

Kevin, is screw-in good?

By-the-way I love your display of Dr. Graybow pipes. Wow! does this bring back memories. I recall standing in front of the Dr. Graybow pipe display at our local Walgreens drug store back in the mid 70's trying to decide on my first pipes. That was such a tough decision to make since I loved many of them. However, I ended up buying many of them during the first years of my pipe adventure until the specialty pipe shops became popular. Des Moines, Iowa eventually ended up with many of these pipe/pipe tobacco specialty shops all over town. It seemed like every mall in town had one and even the infamous Younkers department store, which was Des Moines Macy's at the time had a very extensive pipe shop in their building. Tinder Box was a great one at one of the Malls and David's Briar shop had a store in our Merle Hay Mall for many years with probably the most extensive pipe and tobacco inventory in town. David had several walls of pipes. David's is still in business, but with only a very limited inventory of pipes and tobacco. He is now more into cigars. When these specialty pipe shops became the rage, my interest ultimately went beyond Dr. Graybow.
David's Briar Shop used to host the pipe smoking contest at the Iowa State Fair back in the good old days of the 70's and early 80's. I even came in 2nd place one year winning a nice GBD Natural billiard, a pipe lighter and a 14oz tin of tobacco.
Anyway, your nice display for Dr. Graybow was the inspiration for my trip down memory lane.
Thanks!
Legion

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:03 am

harkpuff wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:49 pm
Kevin Keith wrote:
Bacchus
Yes, I could not think of the word, but yes Bacchus. I think the foulage around his head represents the leaves of the grape vine or wine. I think.....
Kevin hit the nail on the head.

A Wiki search refreshed my memory that Bacchus was the Roman God of fertility, agriculture & wine.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:40 am

He's a popular subject of meer carvers.
harkpuff

Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:07 pm

harkpuff wrote:
Kevin Keith wrote:
I presently have a meerschaum pipe up for trade for a tub of Chantham Manor and Kevin asked me if it had a push in or screw-in stem. Another fan of Meerschaum pipes reminded me that there are two kinds of screw-in stems for meerschaum pipe. The first kind, that is not as good, is where a threaded stem tenon screws directly into the meerschaum material itself. This is a poor connection that can cause the shank of the pipe to crack. The second and best kind is a male and female threaded nylon insert that links the stem to the meerschaum bowl. This is by far the best method and consists of a threaded nylon tenon which screws into a threaded nylon female insert that is anchored into the shank of the pipe.
The pipe that you see in the pictures uses the second or best method.