A few I never reach for

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:13 pm

I've been meaning to do this for a while now. Need to thin out a few pipes that I just don't reach for.

First up is a Svendborg slight bent billiard? Pot? I don't know, it's stamped Bark, 37, Danish Handmade. Great pipe, super comfy vulcanite bit, sizeable chamber. But for some reason I have come to hate (and I mean hate) filter pipes. It's a 9mm filter and the non-filter adapter is in the stem. Will also include the selection of filters pictured

$60 shipped stateside

Next up is a Savinelli Grezza 320ks. You know the deal on the size of these. Again, another 9mm pipe, adapter is in the stem. Will also include the assortment of filters pictured

$40 shipped stateside
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 4):
MikeDennisonkxgMaynardBruyere_Royale
Not the brightest bulb in the fixture ;)
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:20 pm

This one is a fairly recent purchase. It's tiny, and I have a few other tiny pipes that I use more. Grabow grand duke 6mm filter pipe purchased from Tim West who also did the stem replacement. Will include the pile of 6mm filters in the picture

$20 shipped stateside

Last but not least a falcon hunter with a regular falcon brand wood bowl and a cob bowl from Doug Erwin. Will include the extra o-ring that Doug sent with the bowl and I have some dry rings I made out of pipe cleaners that weren't worth the materials they were made of. They work great as rings though

$40 shipped stateside
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 4):
houtenzielMikeDennisonMaynardBruyere_Royale
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:48 pm

I;m not in the market but I want to comment that I enjoy filter pipes. I rely on Medico filters. I have no patience for European filters. I have a few pipes that take Euro filters and I smoke those without, when I smoke them. The pipes that I have that take the rolled cardboard Medico filters, I like 'em and I smoke them, again, with filters. YMMY. I don't have the Grabow pipe you pictured above, but I have Medico and Yello-Bole variants. They are indestructible pipes. I never like the "rustification" and "hand carved details" on these pipes. It's like someone just took a dremel tool to them and went to town. There is neither art nor craft to the results. That said, when you smoke a Grabow you're smoking a solid pipe.
This post by Whalehead King liked by (total 3):
Mr BeardsleyRonv69MikeDennison
I run a small hotel in New Orleans. It's in Louisiana, in case you're thinking of another New Orleans I've never heard of.
houtenziel

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Whalehead King wrote:
I never like the "rustification" and "hand carved details" on these pipes. It's like someone just took a dremel tool to them and went to town. There is neither art nor craft to the results. That said, when you smoke a Grabow you're smoking a solid pipe.
:shock:
This post by houtenziel liked by:
MikeDennison
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
Longshanks

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Whalehead King wrote:
I never like the "rustification" and "hand carved details" on these pipes. It's like someone just took a dremel tool to them and went to town. There is neither art nor craft to the results. That said, when you smoke a Grabow you're smoking a solid pipe.
I give a +1 on that. Dr G makes good pipes but, if you read a post or two from me on the old PSF site, you'd see me saying the same thing about their rustication techniques. Much of it looks like they brought in someone's fifth grader and gave him a Dremel tool and said, "Have at it." To terrorize a quality pipe with that low quality rustication just doesn't make sense.

That being said, Dr. G did offer a few pipes with an excellent rustication design. For example, the 'new-to-me' rusticated Starfire I posted in the "Recent Pipe Purchases" thread. :thumbs:

Finally, that Svendborg and Save are nice looking pipes. Hope someone nabs them quick.
This post by Longshanks liked by (total 4):
Mr BeardsleyWhalehead KingMikeDennisonMaynard
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:01 am

Mr Beardsley wrote:
This one is a fairly recent purchase. It's tiny, and I have a few other tiny pipes that I use more. Grabow grand duke 6mm filter pipe purchased from Tim West who also did the stem replacement. Will include the pile of 6mm filters in the picture

$20 shipped stateside

Last but not least a falcon hunter with a regular falcon brand wood bowl and a cob bowl from Doug Erwin. Will include the extra o-ring that Doug sent with the bowl and I have some dry rings I made out of pipe cleaners that weren't worth the materials they were made of. They work great as rings though

$40 shipped stateside
I just re-read this and realized I screwed up on the price of the Grabow (guess I shouldn't talk to customers and post at the same time) so the corrected price is $15 for the grabow with the rustication that seems so popular
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by:
MikeDennison
Longshanks

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:30 am

Mr Beardsley wrote:
I just re-read this and realized I screwed up on the price of the Grabow (guess I shouldn't talk to customers and post at the same time) so the corrected price is $15 for the grabow with the rustication that seems so popular
LOL - Don't get us wrong, there is a certain nostalgia to this "quick rustication" method, a process that kept costs down and allowed Dr G to offer a fella an affordable quality pipe. In fact, it reminds me of a pipe I bought my dad when I was about 9 years old.
This post by Longshanks liked by (total 2):
Mr BeardsleyMikeDennison
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Mr Beardsley wrote:

$20 shipped stateside

$40 shipped stateside
Don't lower the price so quickly. You should leave it up for $20 and then take that $20 and run when you get it. If you don't get it after a month, you promote the value sale: $20 value now for $15; quantities limited. Then take the $15 and run. I think $20 is a fair price for that pipe, especially since you're including the filters (I think).

Or, take a tip from WK :king: :

"This famous rusticated Grabow has been the subject of long discussions in numerous posts on PSF. Be the lucky one to own it today. Respected pipe connoisseurs have judged the fine carving on its bowl a priceless example of abstract art. This pipe is a true museum piece. You will admire its details every time you smoke it. You can get a pipe like this for $100 from top shelf dealers on eBay.. I'm just a simple man who wants to share his love of good pipes with the community of pipe smokers. For the next seven days, I'll be offering this pipe for the bargain price of $30.00 including shipping and three boxes of Medico Pipe Filters, the preferred filters for Grabow pipes. Yes, only thirty dollars with free shipping and a month's worth of pipe filters included! This is a BARGAIN you won't see again anytime soon. Jump on this deal today before someone else does! Your wife will think you made a good investment for a pipe that she finally approves of. "

This post by Whalehead King liked by (total 4):
Mr BeardsleyMikeDennisonGrimpeurBruyere_Royale
I run a small hotel in New Orleans. It's in Louisiana, in case you're thinking of another New Orleans I've never heard of.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Whalehead King wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:20 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote:
Mr Beardsley wrote:

$20 shipped stateside

$40 shipped stateside
Don't lower the price so quickly. You should leave it up for $20 and then take that $20 and run when you get it. If you don't get it after a month, you promote the value sale: $20 value now for $15; quantities limited. Then take the $15 and run. I think $20 is a fair price for that pipe, especially since you're including the filters (I think).

Or, take a tip from WK :king: :

"This famous rusticated Grabow has been the subject of long discussions in numerous posts on PSF. Be the lucky one to own it today. Respected pipe connoisseurs have judged the fine carving on its bowl a priceless example of abstract art. This pipe is a true museum piece. You will admire its details every time you smoke it. You can get a pipe like this for $100 from top shelf dealers on eBay.. I'm just a simple man who wants to share his love of good pipes with the community of pipe smokers. For the next seven days, I'll be offering this pipe for the bargain price of $30.00 including shipping and three boxes of Medico Pipe Filters, the preferred filters for Grabow pipes. Yes, only thirty dollars with free shipping and a month's worth of pipe filters included! This is a BARGAIN you won't see again anytime soon. Jump on this deal today before someone else does! Your wife will think you made a good investment for a pipe that she finally approves of. "

$15 was what I paid for it and I never sell pipes (here) for more than I gave. The filters are a bonus / thanks for clearing up some of my clutter :D
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by:
MikeDennison
kxg

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:36 pm

PM Sent
This post by kxg liked by:
Mr Beardsley