Your first cigar

9 Iron
Founding Member

Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:33 pm

I couldn’t possibly recall my first cigar, but it was undoubtedly a cheap srug store smoke either pilfered or illegally obtained from some joint that would sell one to a kid back in the 70’s. I was already sneaking smokes at age 10. Now my first chew I remember well, because I was about 10 and I turned green and got sick as hell.
This post by 9 Iron liked by (total 4):
Mr BeardsleyRuffinogoldKevin KeithEllis You
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:19 pm

9 Iron wrote:
I couldn’t possibly recall my first cigar, but it was undoubtedly a cheap srug store smoke either pilfered or illegally obtained from some joint that would sell one to a kid back in the 70’s. I was already sneaking smokes at age 10. Now my first chew I remember well, because I was about 10 and I turned green and got sick as hell.
Oh man ... first chew :o
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 4):
Kevin Keith9 IronSurlywillIMpipedude
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:02 pm

Ruffinogold wrote:
9 Iron wrote:

This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 4):
9 IronEllis YouIMpipeduderekamepip
9 Iron
Founding Member

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:10 pm

Ruffinogold wrote:
9 Iron wrote:
Oh yeah. Copenhagen. Never have liked that stuff.
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Swisher Sweet bought at a drug store, when drug stores had a tobacco section in the aisles.
This post by Whalehead King liked by (total 4):
Mr BeardsleyEllis YouIMpipeduderekamepip
I run a small hotel in New Orleans. It's in Louisiana, in case you're thinking of another New Orleans I've never heard of.
Ellis You

Wed May 01, 2019 7:01 pm

I can remember buying and smoking my first, but not sure of the brand. Probably a King Edward or a Roi Tan, bought from a country gas station. I had to be 15 because I was allowed to drive a car. I smoked one that night and another one the next day. Seems like the wind was always blowing the smoke back into my eyes and nostrils. Those were some fun times.
This post by Ellis You liked by (total 3):
Mr BeardsleyKevin KeithRuffinogold
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Thu May 02, 2019 11:28 pm

I found a taste for cigars at a pretty young age, when I was about 6 or 7 yrs old I'd sneak one of my Dad's Swisher Sweet butts out of his ash tray but my first taste of a good cigar was from an old guy that lived at the end of my street who used to sit out on the front porch and smoke his pipe or cigars every morning while reading his morning paper and I always made a point to go over and talk to him as he always had interesting stories to tell a young boy.
Well the old man never crushed out his cigars when he was done with them, he'd just flick them out into the street or the yard and when he'd go inside his house I'd help myself to the smoldering stogie before it went out. Not sure what brand they were but they were fat and had nice red and gold bands on them, I'm thinking H. Upman or something. I guess the dentist that my Mom took me to around that time probably thought that the brown stains on my teeth were from drinking too much Coca Cola! :lol:
This post by oldbill liked by (total 5):
Mr BeardsleyKevin KeithhoutenzielSurlywillRuffinogold
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Surlywill

Thu May 30, 2019 2:55 pm

I started off dipping Skoal in the late 70s. I think my first cigar was a backwoods. Stopped dipping and started smoking Connecticut Yankees. It wasn’t until the late 80s when I could afford better cigars. I think my first truly high quality cigar was a Arturo Fuentes.
This post by Surlywill liked by (total 2):
rekamepipRuffinogold
“ If A is a success in life, then A=X+Y+Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut.”
- Albert Einstein
IMpipedude
Founding Member

Thu May 30, 2019 8:47 pm

I smoked my first cigar in 1970. It was a Dino. I have great memories of lounging around with friends, smoking those long thin cigars, and feeling very sophisticated. I tried to find some a few years ago, and found out that they're no longer made.
This post by IMpipedude liked by (total 2):
Kevin KeithRuffinogold
cigrmaster

Fri May 31, 2019 12:55 pm

I started with Tijuana Smalls in 1969 when I was 12. I also smoked Wolf Bros Rum Soaked Crooks, AYC’s(Antonio y Cleopatra), Grenadier's with the Candela wrappers that were actually tobacco back then. I got into good hand made cigars in the early 80's and used JRcigars back then. Lew's catalogues were pretty entertaining back then.
This post by cigrmaster liked by (total 3):
houtenzielKevin KeithRuffinogold
Harris