R.I.P. The Cigar Box Museum

Whalehead King

This is a fraction of the collection I put out on the street today:

I couldn't take another photo when I had piled the top of our trashcan with about 60 cigar boxes, most of them American machine-made brands. I was too misty-eyed.

About half the boxes, all the good ones like El Verso and Topper and Muniemaker and Rigoletto---they're all gone by now. I only saved a very few. I chose to not be sentimental about them. If I were sentimental, I'd still have them. We don't have room in the lobby for a cigar box museum. R.I.P.
Ellis You
Member in Good Standing

A sad day, indeed. Another collection of tobacco memorabilia gone, but not forgotten.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Nooooooo
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Whalehead King

It pained me to get rid of these boxes. Many of them collected during the great CVS shutdown that we all remember and took advantage of.

I wrote to a number of small American machine-made companies and bought boxes of cigars from them, maybe, for some of them, their last customer. It's a business expense when you buy a box of cigars to display it in your lobby. All those boxes were empty after I went through them, but you can't buy empty cigar boxes. It was a catch-22. I wanted to make a museum but I had to buy boxes full of cigars. Winner-winner, chicken dinner and I wrote it all off my taxes.

I bought direct from the manufacturers off their rinky-dink 1992-designed website carts when I could. It was for a good cause. They were good cigars. 7 years later, all their phones have been disconnected. They are out of business.

Unfortunately, most people aren't interested in American machine-made cigar boxes. Go figure. I need to turn the Cigar Box Museum into something that makes money.

The museum has been in place for about 7 years. Except for me, nobody has spent much time studying it, and, to tell you the truth, I haven't looked at it often, recently. These are cigar brands from long ago---a whole 7 years! We live in a different world now.

I put the boxes on top of our trash can on the street, not in the trash can. I hoped that people would drive by and take boxes that appealed to them, put them to good use. So far, so good. People are taking the boxes. I trust they will have a nice home wherever they land.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

They make good supply boxes for elementary school kids. Pencils, glue, crayons.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

My Grandfather would have a wooden cigar box under the bench seat of his Galaxie 500 full of candy. Thank you for sharing, your like a memories machine lately.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:39 pm Image
So is this what you have been doing in your off time? Very nice.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:18 pm They make good supply boxes for elementary school kids. Pencils, glue, crayons.
The best!
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017