What Machine Made Cigar Are You Smoking Today? WMMCAYST™

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

mrpipster wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:59 pm I read somewhere that the Tampas have more of a vanilla flavour than the Swishers.
Now thats a flavour I can enjoy!
That was me in the original WMMCAYST™! I'm published! :lol:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ok , Ive gone upper crust ..but its my birthday weekend .I just finished a Fuente Spanish Lonsdale that was quite aged in spanish cedar ... it was so good , I absolutely loved it
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
9 Iron
Founding Member

The one and only (to my knowledge) all machine made cigars catalog for spring 2018 has arrived!

Did anyone else just hear angels singing? :bow:
Whalehead King

I'm a big fan of what Famous offers. I'm not that big fan of their catalogues. I like to see a little more original writing when I get a catalogue, like getting a magazine in the mail. If they had some original write-ups about the cigars, some more personalized viewpoints than what the producers supply, I'd be more inclined to read the catalog. It's one house ad after another.

Plus---Famous' deals are famous for not being all that great. I understand the profit margin is pretty slim on machine made cigars but if they put a little more thought into it, this could be the machine-made cigar go-to supplier. As it is, I got my catalogue yesterday and I tossed it without bringing it into the house to read.

Maybe Famous is the go-to machine made cigar mail-order retailer. I don't think anyone is keeping any statistics on that. They are certainly cornering the market but I don't get the impression they are trying to SELL machine mades so much as they are just OFFERING them to the public. As someone who spends a lot of time thinking about marketing, I may be biased.

I always thumb through the CI and the Finck catalogues when the mailman delivers them. The content is often the same issue after issue, but they provide a more unique look from the seller's viewpoint of what they are selling. Famous just reproduces what the makers supply them with. YMMV. I'd be interested in how many Famous fans there are out there. I buy from Famous, but they are my supplier of last resort and I don't feel any loyalty to them. If I can't find the machine mades I want elsewhere, then I go to Famous.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

The only "loyalty" I have is to Finck. Maybe it's more of an irrational emotion I have for Finck. Or maybe it's imprinting, like a baby duck following the first thing it sees as its mama...hopefully it's a duck. Travis Club is the first cigar I ever remember seeing. Luckies were the first cigarette I remember, but I don't smoke cigarettes. If I did, I'd smoke Luckies.

The Finck catalog was more fun to read, to me at least, before they moved their cigar making ops to the Dominican Republic. There was more copy dedicated to great machine made cigars than you could shake a stick at. The HWF, Havana Blend (each cigar had a little Havana leaf rolled in it), Little Joe, Texas Sweets, Sam Houston, WF Mild Naturals and Maduro and of course Travis Club cigars. There were many others that I can't remember right now. A cigar catalog with good ad copy is hard to beat.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
9 Iron
Founding Member

I order from Famous when they have the free shipping promos, this makes their deals a deal. Last couple of times I ordered from them I got 100 Parodi Economy cigars for $59.99 and 55 Principe Masters Chocolates for $34.99, no shipping. Those were pretty good deals.

I think I still have the Pipes and Cigars catalog laying around, I'll have to go take a look at the MM cigars.

Anyone here ever see the J Peterman catalogs? My wife gets them all the time. Clothing mostly, and great descriptions and made-up stories. Wasn't this the same J Peterman from the Seinfeld show? If only cigar catalogs put this kind of entertainment into their advertising, we might be in for another cigar boom era.Image
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

9 Iron wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:38 am I order from Famous when they have the free shipping promos, this makes their deals a deal. Last couple of times I ordered from them I got 100 Parodi Economy cigars for $59.99 and 55 Principe Masters Chocolates for $34.99, no shipping. Those were pretty good deals.

I think I still have the Pipes and Cigars catalog laying around, I'll have to go take a look at the MM cigars.

Anyone here ever see the J Peterman catalogs? My wife gets them all the time. Clothing mostly, and great descriptions and made-up stories. Wasn't this the same J Peterman from the Seinfeld show? If only cigar catalogs put this kind of entertainment into their advertising, we might be in for another cigar boom era.Image
That's pretty entertaining for sure. I still wouldn't buy that jacket, but I'd keep the catalog and they'd probably reel me in on something less pricey. You know who used to put out a tobacco catalog kinda like that? JR Cigars back when Lew Rothman was running it. I remember one story he printed in a catalog about what cigars he was smoking as he was climbing Mt Kilimanjaro. Whether he really did it or not, who knows? It was fun and probably helped sell some cigars. I haven't received a JR catalog in years.

Free shipping is a good deal, no matter who is doing it. Some guys never do free shipping, like www.wvsmokeshop.com. Who, by the way, doesn't really do sales either. I'd like to see them have a sale on some of the bulk tobaccos they have and throw in free shipping. They'd sell a bunch of tobacco I bet, but then again they probably do anyway. smokingpipes.com has good sales on pipes and tobaccos and usually does free shipping as a matter of course if you buy over $100 of stuff. I wonder if SP has a catalog. If they do I've never seen it.

I have always liked Finck's catalog, www.finckcigarcompany.com, and always read it when it comes. It's not Shakespeare, which is good because I don't read Shakespeare, but the pictures and descriptions are fun to look at and read. Bill Jr is doing a great job keeping Finck Cigars going. It's sad what the government has done to Finck and a dozen other small cigar makers, but I'm glad Bill Jr found a way to keep rolling his cigars. This is a good article. I was glad to read that as of Fall 2017 Bill Sr was still alive at age 86. Here's the link https://www.expressnews.com/sa300/artic ... 213417.php

I get the CI and P&C catalogs and always read them. I like CI better though for cigars. By the way, CI is opening two or three warehouses here in Texas, so there goes the "you-know-what" savings for us Texans. Scoot over Pennsylvanians and make room for us on that bench. CI is the source for some great machine mades, whether automated or Lieberman. Country Man and Magellan Dominicans are two I get from CI. I haven't bought anything from P&C since that IPSD fiasco a year and a half ago. Well, that's not completely true, I bought two of those Brushed Brown Stanwells for $19.99. I'm a sucker for a good deal, even if I have to pay the freight.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Headed to the church picnic here in a bit and now enjoying a WLC and sweet tea.
I will take another with me to listen to the music and drink beer in the beer garden or maybe do some gambling at that roulette type thing they have every year. Wish me luck fellas.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
colorduke

Smoking a Kentucky cheroot,been pretty busy of lately working my regular job and started mowing 4 cemeteries in the evenings after work.Still burning up lots of machinemades ,next weekend the boys and I are heading to Dundee NY for a rendezvous.
9 Iron
Founding Member

mrpipster wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:19 pm Headed to the church picnic here in a bit and now enjoying a WLC and sweet tea.
I will take another with me to listen to the music and drink beer in the beer garden or maybe do some gambling at that roulette type thing they have every year. Wish me luck fellas.
They sure don't have church picnics like that here. Cigars beer and gambling? That's what they make us go to church to repent of :lol: I'm just an occasional casual attendant at my family's Wesleyan Methodist church, and even though I'm a pretty clean living fellow, I'm still greeted at the church door by the pastor with "Well, hello heathen!" If I suggested cigars and roulette after service I'd probably be struck dead by the Almighty right there in my pew.