What Machine Made Cigar Are You Smoking Today? WMMCAYST™

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Citizen B wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:04 pm F.X Smith 88 Smokers. Don't ask me why it's called that.

I gave one to a friend last night. "This is an incredibly good cigar," he said.
My friend emailed me to get the website for FX Smith and the name of the cigar I shared with him. He's going to buy a box.

Mission accomplished.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

It's not the original stogie, but it's close and it is a really good, reliable cigar. F.X. Smith.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I'm about 3/4 of my way through a box of Marsh Wheelings, the original pigtail cigar.

Some of them even have pigtails. Not every cigar but enough to make me think these are genuine MWs, real stogies. They're the real deal.

The pigtails aren't prominent, when they appear. They are just a tag of wrapper hanging off the end, but when I go to bite off the tip, cowpoke-style, the ones with the pigtails are a pleasant surprise. "What's that tickling my lips? OH! It's a machine made pigtail!"

Marsh Wheelings are cigars that take me back to the good old days. Buy yourself a box. You'll thank yourself.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

You know these Hamlets were machine made but I'm not sure. I'm going to post this video in both the MM and HM thread because these commercials deserve maximum exposure.

Is that Orson Welles' doing the voiceover in some of these?

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

If you want to put a smile on your face, watch this:

Of course he never lost the clench on his cigar. Bad*ss!
Flyfish Falls

Citizen B wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:40 pm Here's what came in my mail today:

Interior view:

I haven't tried these since the original factory closed. I was hoping for a pigtail. For the first one that I have opened, and am smoking now, there was no pigtail and no shoe peg hole. Minus two points.

I clipped the first cigar to get a draw but these MW Lanceros are rolled tiny enough on their pointy head that they resemble the original cigars' ends and, because the end is so pointy, these can be bit in authentic "Conestoga Style" instead of using some fancy cigar cutter. I used a cutter. It only occurred to me afterward that these ends are meant to be bitten off and spit out like in an old movie.

As I smoke my clipped MW, one tag of loose wrapper keeps dangling off the end. I don't bother to clip it. It's no bother at all. Maybe these new Marsh Wheelings really are pigtail cigars after all. I'll have to see how the others perform.

How's the flavor? As good as the original? This is pure Marsh Wheeling. Plus ten points.

These cigars are firmly rolled but their bodies have some bounce and give to them. There is nothing cheaply made about them. They are 100% natural leaf. No HTL, not that there is anything wrong with HTL. The flavor is old-school stogie, what you should expect from a Marsh Wheeling. No disappointment. The Lanceros are 7" x 34g. Now made in the Dominican Republic, of all places.

I hadn't yet sampled one of these cigars when the mail lady delivered the box, but I thanked her anyway because I suspected these would be good. I was looking forward to it. They're good cigars. I'm going to thank her again the next time I see her. I'm always thanking her. Who doesn't like to get mail?

Interior view:

I haven't tried these since the original factory closed. I was hoping for a pigtail. For the first one that I have opened, and am smoking now, there was no pigtail and no shoe peg hole. Minus two points.

I clipped the first cigar to get a draw but these MW Lanceros are rolled tiny enough on their pointy head that they resemble the original cigars' ends and, because the end is so pointy, these can be bit in authentic "Conestoga Style" instead of using some fancy cigar cutter. I used a cutter. It only occurred to me afterward that these ends are meant to be bitten off and spit out like in an old movie.

As I smoke my clipped MW, one tag of loose wrapper keeps dangling off the end. I don't bother to clip it. It's no bother at all. Maybe these new Marsh Wheelings really are pigtail cigars after all. I'll have to see how the others perform.

How's the flavor? As good as the original? This is pure Marsh Wheeling. Plus ten points.

These cigars are firmly rolled but their bodies have some bounce and give to them. There is nothing cheaply made about them. They are 100% natural leaf. No HTL, not that there is anything wrong with HTL. The flavor is old-school stogie, what you should expect from a Marsh Wheeling. No disappointment. The Lanceros are 7" x 34g. Now made in the Dominican Republic, of all places.

I hadn't yet sampled one of these cigars when the mail lady delivered the box, but I thanked her anyway because I suspected these would be good. I was looking forward to it. They're good cigars. I'm going to thank her again the next time I see her. I'm always thanking her. Who doesn't like to get mail?
Now that is a real blast from the past. Used to buy these at Thrift Drug!
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Flyfish Falls wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:36 pm

Interior view:

Interior view:

Now that is a real blast from the past. Used to buy these at Thrift Drug!
I think of these old-school machine made cigars as "newsstand cigars," but you're right. Drug stores used to have a whole aisle full of classic cigars like these. Those days are long gone. Check out the FX Smith website and relive the past when a decent cigar cost a dime and root beer was a nickel.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Dr Uhaha wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:23 am If you want to put a smile on your face, watch this:

Of course he never lost the clench on his cigar. Bad*ss!
Good man. That's the way to do it.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Al Capone Sweets, the wrapper tastes like candy.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Wildcat
Codger in Training

MMCs call to me at night. Muriel whispers in my ear as I slumber, her warm, moist breath, with it's aroma of cheap Chianti, Connecticut wrapper and possibly the hint of a dead tooth, invade my dreams. Sadly, I've left cigars behind. Sacrilege, I know. Like Muriel's intoxicating exhalations, I could not help but to inhale the breath of a machine made beauty. So for the sake of health I walked away. Yet still she calls... "Kiss me you fool."
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom