Ammo Can Humidor

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:32 pm Looks excellent !! Is that red cedar aromatic ? I hope not because it will impart that aroma on the cigars and its not the same as Spanish cedar . Dont mean to be a downer , but if its the kind Im thinking , though Im not familiar with cedars so much , it will make the cigars taste bad . If its very little or no aromatic , itll probably be fine
I went into a cigar joint in the 90's in Maine . The guy just opened and built a walk in humidor but lined it with a cedar other than spanish .. my eyes burned a bit walking in it . I hated telling him . He was new and didnt know the difference . The cigars almost tasted like turpentine
I hate being a downer and I hope Im wrong
I was wondering the same thing but was hoping he just wrote the wrong type of cedar
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:00 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:32 pm Looks excellent !! Is that red cedar aromatic ? I hope not because it will impart that aroma on the cigars and its not the same as Spanish cedar . Dont mean to be a downer , but if its the kind Im thinking , though Im not familiar with cedars so much , it will make the cigars taste bad . If its very little or no aromatic , itll probably be fine
I went into a cigar joint in the 90's in Maine . The guy just opened and built a walk in humidor but lined it with a cedar other than spanish .. my eyes burned a bit walking in it . I hated telling him . He was new and didnt know the difference . The cigars almost tasted like turpentine
I was wondering the same thing but was hoping he just wrote the wrong type of cedar
Im not much into cedar , so Im a bit ignorant on that wood . I know there are some that are aromatic as hell and others not ... but I wouldnt know which . I could look it up as I have a number of books about wood .. the tree kind :o
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:20 pm
Im not much into cedar , so Im a bit ignorant on that wood . I know there are some that are aromatic as hell and others not ... but I wouldnt know which . I could look it up as I have a number of books about wood .. the tree kind :o
No need to crack a book when the internet is available. Eastern red cedar is an aromatic
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:44 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:20 pm

No need to crack a book when the internet is available. Eastern red cedar is an aromatic
Yeah ... took me longer than you to see its an aromatic . Im old school :lol: ... Im having a hard time reading the print of books for a while now . I just like them so much
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Yes, it’s Eastern Red Cedar but it’s very old and you can barely smell it. Even when I planed and cut it the level of smell didn’t change. Like I mentioned, it was one of the three woods I saw used in humidor linings: Spanish Cedar, Red Cedar and Honduran Mahogahony. I know how “loud” it can smell fresh and even a little aged. I bet these strips were sawn 30 yrs ago. I’ll let you know how it works out.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

ncrobb wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:00 pm Yes, it’s Eastern Red Cedar but it’s very old and you can barely smell it. Even when I planed and cut it the level of smell didn’t change. Like I mentioned, it was one of the three woods I saw used in humidor linings: Spanish Cedar, Red Cedar and Honduran Mahogahony. I know how “loud” it can smell fresh and even a little aged. I bet these strips were sawn 30 yrs ago. I’ll let you know how it works out.
I didn't know that eastern red cedar and Honduran mahogany were on the okay list. Learn something new every day!
ncrobb
Founding Member

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:03 pm
ncrobb wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:00 pm Yes, it’s Eastern Red Cedar but it’s very old and you can barely smell it. Even when I planed and cut it the level of smell didn’t change. Like I mentioned, it was one of the three woods I saw used in humidor linings: Spanish Cedar, Red Cedar and Honduran Mahogahony. I know how “loud” it can smell fresh and even a little aged. I bet these strips were sawn 30 yrs ago. I’ll let you know how it works out.
I didn't know that eastern red cedar and Honduran mahogany were on the okay list. Learn something new every day!
Lol. Based on past failures and wasted efforts I make an attempt to do a little digging before jumping in. Well, at least some of the time anyway. 🙄 😂
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

ncrobb wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:11 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:03 pm
Lol. Based on past failures and wasted efforts I make an attempt to do a little digging before jumping in. Well, at least some of the time anyway. 🙄 😂
I should probably learn to do the same
CoreyR
Founding Member

Whatever wood you used, you did a fine job. Very nice.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Well, since the crud has me feeling like crap and I don’t feel like lighting a pipe or a cigar, I thought I’d let everyone know the ammo can humidor couldn’t be better. It seals up so tightly that after the initial seasoning a single Boveda packet has maintained an average RH of 70 since my first post last December. It’s still has most of its life left in it. The second pack just arrived a week or so ago with some cigars that @Ruffinogold sent in a swap. The cedar I used was old and has not imparted any smell or taste into the cigars, there are a couple of Romeo y Juliet Bullies that have been in it since day one and I burned one a couple weeks ago and it was fantastic as always. The swap with Ruff put it almost at its volumetric limit, so far the only detraction I can find. I bought a fancy smancy proper wood humidor and while it looks better than the ammo can, for performance it cannot come close to the ammo can. It uses up a Boveda pack at the rate of about one a month. As a matter of fact, I’m thinking to “disassemble” the wood humidor and use it’s spanish cedar to line a second ammo can humidor. Cigars are here to stay at the ncrobb abode.