What Hand Made Cigar Are You Smoking Today? WHMCAYST™

User avatar
MikeDennison
Senior Member
Posts: 1592
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm

An HC White.
Image
This post by MikeDennison liked by:
houtenziel
User avatar
Islayphile
Active Member
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:52 pm

Crowned Heads Buckeye Land
Joya Antaño 1970
This post by Islayphile liked by:
MikeDennison
User avatar
MikeDennison
Senior Member
Posts: 1592
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm

MikeDennison wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm
An HC White.
Image
Being new to cigars, the milder sticks are more appealing to me at this point. That HC White was really enjoyable, and even Dear Sweetie found it "unobjectionable". :D
This post by MikeDennison liked by (total 2):
houtenzielIslayphile
User avatar
houtenziel
Senior Member
Posts: 1784
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:20 pm

MikeDennison wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm
MikeDennison wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm
An HC White.
Image
Being new to cigars, the milder sticks are more appealing to me at this point. That HC White was really enjoyable, and even Dear Sweetie found it "unobjectionable". :D
Here are some mild ones to consider, if you haven't already tried them.
Macanudo Cafe
5 Vegas Gold
Oliva Connecticut
Flor de Oliva
Davidoff Dominican
And if you are willing to drop the change on them, I find Cohiba Red Dots to be quite mild.
This post by houtenziel liked by:
MikeDennison
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
User avatar
MikeDennison
Senior Member
Posts: 1592
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:23 pm

houtenziel wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:20 pm
MikeDennison wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm
MikeDennison wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm
An HC White.
Image
Being new to cigars, the milder sticks are more appealing to me at this point. That HC White was really enjoyable, and even Dear Sweetie found it "unobjectionable". :D
Here are some mild ones to consider, if you haven't already tried them.
Macanudo Cafe
5 Vegas Gold
Oliva Connecticut
Flor de Oliva
Davidoff Dominican
And if you are willing to drop the change on them, I find Cohiba Red Dots to be quite mild.
Thanks, brother! Hey... question for ya. Last night I tried a Brocatus that I could barely draw. Wound up tossing it. Is there something to do for that?
This post by MikeDennison liked by (total 2):
houtenzielKevin Keith
User avatar
houtenziel
Senior Member
Posts: 1784
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:15 pm

MikeDennison wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:23 pm
houtenziel wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:20 pm
MikeDennison wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm

Being new to cigars, the milder sticks are more appealing to me at this point. That HC White was really enjoyable, and even Dear Sweetie found it "unobjectionable". :D
Here are some mild ones to consider, if you haven't already tried them.
Macanudo Cafe
5 Vegas Gold
Oliva Connecticut
Flor de Oliva
Davidoff Dominican
And if you are willing to drop the change on them, I find Cohiba Red Dots to be quite mild.
Thanks, brother! Hey... question for ya. Last night I tried a Brocatus that I could barely draw. Wound up tossing it. Is there something to do for that?
Could be for a few reasons, but usually for me it's because the cigar is too dry. When handmades dry, the wrapper and binders tend to contract around the filler and the result is what you call a plugged cigar. Now, it's entirely possible for a cigar to just be rolled too tight - that has happened to me more than once - but in most cases it's a humidity issue.
So I guess my first question should be: How are you storing them?

I have seen some attempts at salvaging a plugged cigar by sticking a thin pointy object an inch or two in through the cut end.. this is risky though, and could cause the cigar to split down the side, and I have yet to have it save a cigar for me.
This post by houtenziel liked by:
MikeDennison
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
User avatar
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Port Isabel

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:40 pm

MikeDennison wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:23 pm
houtenziel wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:20 pm
MikeDennison wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm

Being new to cigars, the milder sticks are more appealing to me at this point. That HC White was really enjoyable, and even Dear Sweetie found it "unobjectionable". :D
Here are some mild ones to consider, if you haven't already tried them.
Macanudo Cafe
5 Vegas Gold
Oliva Connecticut
Flor de Oliva
Davidoff Dominican
And if you are willing to drop the change on them, I find Cohiba Red Dots to be quite mild.
Thanks, brother! Hey... question for ya. Last night I tried a Brocatus that I could barely draw. Wound up tossing it. Is there something to do for that?
Yeah, switch to machine made!
This post by Kevin Keith liked by:
MikeDennison
User avatar
houtenziel
Senior Member
Posts: 1784
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:56 pm

Kevin Keith wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:40 pm
MikeDennison wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:23 pm
houtenziel wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:20 pm


Here are some mild ones to consider, if you haven't already tried them.
Macanudo Cafe
5 Vegas Gold
Oliva Connecticut
Flor de Oliva
Davidoff Dominican
And if you are willing to drop the change on them, I find Cohiba Red Dots to be quite mild.
Thanks, brother! Hey... question for ya. Last night I tried a Brocatus that I could barely draw. Wound up tossing it. Is there something to do for that?
Yeah, switch to machine made!
On the one hand yes, this probably would be less likely with a machine made. But then on the other hand, most machine made cigars are psuedo-tobacco dog rockets, made out of the ground up floor sweepings from hand mades. :lol:
This post by houtenziel liked by:
MikeDennison
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Senior Member
Posts: 1246
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:21 pm

MikeDennison wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm
MikeDennison wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm
An HC White.
Image
Being new to cigars, the milder sticks are more appealing to me at this point. That HC White was really enjoyable, and even Dear Sweetie found it "unobjectionable". :D
I haven't really smoked but the occasional cigar since the 90's when they were cheap enough to pick up regularly, and it was generally something robust, but I did have a thing for the Ashton Corona with shade grown Connecticut leaf. Can imagine you would quite enjoy it but I couldn't say what they cost now.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 2):
houtenzielMikeDennison
User avatar
houtenziel
Senior Member
Posts: 1784
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:46 pm

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:21 pm
MikeDennison wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm
MikeDennison wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm
An HC White.
Image
Being new to cigars, the milder sticks are more appealing to me at this point. That HC White was really enjoyable, and even Dear Sweetie found it "unobjectionable". :D
I haven't really smoked but the occasional cigar since the 90's when they were cheap enough to pick up regularly, and it was generally something robust, but I did have a thing for the Ashton Corona with shade grown Connecticut leaf. Can imagine you would quite enjoy it but I couldn't say what they cost now.
Most of Ashton's stuff is about $9-10 a stick. Not exactly economical anymore.

I generally go for the more full flavored varieties myself, especially if I am dropping that sort of coin. My favorites being Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu, Leaf by Oscar Maduro, Don Pepin Blue, and Oliva Serie O Maduro.
To me, Maduro wrapper has flavor that reminds me of a cross between rich burley and strong espresso.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 2):
Thelonious monkfishMikeDennison
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
Post Reply