Missouri Meerschaum, 1955

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:39 am I'm holding out for a corndog too, they stick to the excuse that they don't have cobs large enough, that's BS considering all the new stuff they have put out.
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:07 pm I've never had one of the corn dogs nor seen one in person but they look like a pretty small pipe to me. Certainly not one of the huge mummert Rhodesian bulldog saucer things. I also call BS on the "we don't have cobs large enough" excuse
They are small, no bigger than Legend sized. They could make it easy on themselves and use diamond/square shaped wood shanks instead of cobs. Whatever the reason, they sure don't want to make any.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:37 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:39 am I'm holding out for a corndog too, they stick to the excuse that they don't have cobs large enough, that's BS considering all the new stuff they have put out.
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:07 pm I've never had one of the corn dogs nor seen one in person but they look like a pretty small pipe to me. Certainly not one of the huge mummert Rhodesian bulldog saucer things. I also call BS on the "we don't have cobs large enough" excuse
They are small, no bigger than Legend sized. They could make it easy on themselves and use diamond/square shaped wood shanks instead of cobs. Whatever the reason, they sure don't want to make any.
It has to be dollars and cents. They're willing to pay for the labor on their silly reverse calabash things as a one off (per year) deal but don't want to bring in any additional bodies or machines to churn out the dogs
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:50 pm
It has to be dollars and cents. They're willing to pay for the labor on their silly reverse calabash things as a one off (per year) deal but don't want to bring in any additional bodies or machines to churn out the dogs
That is the most likely answer. I bet they still have the machines though. Who in the world would need or want them besides the only corn cob pipe maker in the world! I think it comes down to they just don't want to do it.

And besides corn dogs, they should still make all those great pipes in that catalog. Those hickory pipes are awesome. Reed stemmed cobs. So many choices back then.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:08 pm

That is the most likely answer. I bet they still have the machines though. Who in the world would need or want them besides the only corn cob pipe maker in the world! I think it comes down to they just don't want to do it.

And besides corn dogs, they should still make all those great pipes in that catalog. Those hickory pipes are awesome. Reed stemmed cobs. So many choices back then.
I'd really like them to start making some bamboo shanked jobbies again. And I would pay a significant amount extra for some factory vulcanite.. just sayin.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

It has to be the shank and the fitment to the bowl. A lathe with a duplicator for the bowls would make that a stupid easy piece to produce but the shank would be on the more labor intensive side
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:25 pm

It has to be the shank and the fitment to the bowl. A lathe with a duplicator for the bowls would make that a stupid easy piece to produce but the shank would be on the more labor intensive side
I was just going to say they already have the lathe's/machines, all they would need to do is change the angle to finish the cut of the bowl. The shank wouldn't be difficult either to cut. Perhaps a higher up is not making them for personal reasons. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:29 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:25 pm

I was just going to say they already have the lathe's/machines, all they would need to do is change the angle to finish the cut of the bowl. The shank wouldn't be difficult either to cut. Perhaps a higher up is not making them for personal reasons. Lol
After typing that and then giving it a minute of thought I realized they could just use a chunk of stainless tube (like a lot of bamboo pipes) from shank to bowl. Slap on some of their trademark plaster to clean up the transition and it's a done deal
Tsal
Forum Decorum

In today's news.
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:53 pm In today's news.
I saw that. Well done :lol:
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:19 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:53 pm In today's news.
I saw that. Well done :lol:
What's your handle on IG?
The Troll Whisperer