Old Pipe and Tobacco Ads

User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:02 am

xrundog wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:11 am
Granger 1931. The Commodore is pleased!

Image
My grandfather reportedly only smoked Granger. He would have been smoking it in the 30's when this ad was current. He died just before WWII, so I never met him.

He has a pipe in most (maybe all) pictures I have of him. It was a longish medium billiard with a band. It might be the same pipe in all the pictures.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by:
Maynard
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
houtenziel
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:12 am

Granger is something I visited early on and I remember really liking it, but the nic hit was a tad too much for me at that point. I really need to revisit it, as I am sure I would probably love it and the nic hit would be nearly non-existent now.
This post by houtenziel liked by:
Maynard
I like big buttons and I can not lie.
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:33 am

houtenziel wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:12 am
Granger is something I visited early on and I remember really liking it, but the nic hit was a tad too much for me at that point. I really need to revisit it, as I am sure I would probably love it and the nic hit would be nearly non-existent now.
It is only in the tub these days. The pouches are NLA.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by:
Maynard
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
houtenziel
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:36 am

Fr_Tom wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:33 am
houtenziel wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:12 am
Granger is something I visited early on and I remember really liking it, but the nic hit was a tad too much for me at that point. I really need to revisit it, as I am sure I would probably love it and the nic hit would be nearly non-existent now.
It is only in the tub these days. The pouches are NLA.
WVSmokeShop sells 1oz trial samples :thumbs:
This post by houtenziel liked by:
Maynard
I like big buttons and I can not lie.
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 3792
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:48 am

houtenziel wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:36 am
Fr_Tom wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:33 am
houtenziel wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:12 am
Granger is something I visited early on and I remember really liking it, but the nic hit was a tad too much for me at that point. I really need to revisit it, as I am sure I would probably love it and the nic hit would be nearly non-existent now.
It is only in the tub these days. The pouches are NLA.
WVSmokeShop sells 1oz trial samples :thumbs:
You are right!
This post by Fr_Tom liked by:
Maynard
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
xrundog
Active Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:49 pm

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:53 am

Gregory Peck liked Kentucky Club in 1962.

Image
This post by xrundog liked by (total 2):
MaynardLongshanks
User avatar
xrundog
Active Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:49 pm

Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:35 am

I ran across another Granger ad yesterday from 1945 or so. It's a corker! The colors! The graphics! The baseball star! This one has it all.

Image
This post by xrundog liked by (total 2):
Fr_TomMaynard
User avatar
xrundog
Active Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:49 pm

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:01 am

Eva Gabor was hawking Masterpiece in 1965. Seems like a good enough reason to buy it.

Image
This post by xrundog liked by (total 2):
MaynardLongshanks
User avatar
xrundog
Active Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:49 pm

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:44 am

1929 Old Briar. Poor bastards had no idea what was coming.

Image
This post by xrundog liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomKevin KeithMaynard
User avatar
xrundog
Active Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:49 pm

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:01 am

Apparently, room note was a source of contention even long ago!

Image
This post by xrundog liked by (total 3):
Kevin KeithFr_TomMaynard
Post Reply