Famous People and What They Smoked

Flyfish Falls

Came across these videos on YouTube by Muttnchop Piper. May not be totally accurate (as he states), but nonetheless quite interesting. Even some of the comments from the viewers are interesting.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

It is interesting.. but watching him is about as exciting as observing glacial motion. :D
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

It's better if you don't play the video and just drool over the pipes and tobacco in the background... :shock:
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Peacock

houtenziel wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 am It is interesting.. but watching him is about as exciting as observing glacial motion. :D
Exciting... ok - I get that, but here's what I like about him:

1. Doesn't monetize his videos. Doing this for the 'greater good', like an open source project to share his experience.

2. No fluff, shorter videos. This is basically the opposite of everything else I see on YTPC - especially 'your good friend Bradley' ;)

3. He actually has some great stories to tell - the life experience stories are pretty interesting.

4. Former Marine of 20 years.

5. "Today's video is entitled..." hahaha this makes me laugh every time. He's so proper (uncomfortable?) sometimes.

It's good background to listen to when you're working on something mundane or need a break - or smoke break!
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

OfPipeAndPen wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:26 am
houtenziel wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 am It is interesting.. but watching him is about as exciting as observing glacial motion. :D

1. Doesn't monetize his videos. Doing this for the 'greater good', like an open source project to share his experience.

2. No fluff, shorter videos. This is basically the opposite of everything else I see on YTPC - especially 'your good friend Bradley' ;)

3. He actually has some great stories to tell - the life experience stories are pretty interesting.

5. "Today's video is entitled..." hahaha this makes me laugh every time. He's so proper (uncomfortable?) sometimes.

It's good background to listen to when you're working on something mundane or need a break - or smoke break!

It's just that this video in particular reminds me of those really awkward meetings in a previous job. We'd all be in some conference room, and since we were a technology company the presenter would be encouraged to use things like tablets and Powerpoint, and all that nonsense. I hated every minute of it. When you've already prepared info ahead of time, you could just as well let me read it and it'd be faster and more coherent than wasting 12 minutes of my life letting me watch you read it. In his case, I feel like a little post-processing of the vid would have made it watchable.. instead I get to sit watching him tap around on his iPad, like I already get to do with every other person I meet anywhere these days.
Not trying to be overly pedantic, but Open Source projects are not always for the greater good. Open Source does not necessarily mean free(gratis). But I get your meaning in this case.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

OfPipeAndPen wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:26 am

I like some of Muttnchop's videos, he is clearly knowledgeable about pipe smoking and does make some good points here and there but he is about as entertaining as a dry fire plug, I usually watch him late at night if I have trouble getting to sleep. Bradly over at Stuff N' Things is long in the tooth on his videos and some object to his hipster persona but at least he's thorough about his assessments (which I agree with more often than not) and when he does a review or gives his opinion on something I'm not left wondering what he thinks about the subject that he's speaking on. Not to say that Muttnchop isn't thorough but it's good not to have to get wired on espresso to stay awake for the information he has for me. ;)
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Flyfish Falls

I posted this thread hoping to stimulate some interest in the subject of Famous People and What They Smoke(d). I thought that perhaps others might contribute to the thread with some other famous pipe smokers that they were aware of. It seems to have turned into an evaluation of Muttnchop, which is not what was intended. Here's hoping that maybe we can get back on track!
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Peacock

Ah, yes, sorry Flyfish Falls, good redirection - my filter at work is blocking these videos so I can't comment on his thoughts currently. I did see a post devolve rather quickly on a Facebook group where someone posted a picture of Stalin lighting a pipe and wondered what he was smoking...
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Flyfish Falls wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:12 pm I posted this thread hoping to stimulate some interest in the subject of Famous People and What They Smoke(d). I thought that perhaps others might contribute to the thread with some other famous pipe smokers that they were aware of. It seems to have turned into an evaluation of Muttnchop, which is not what was intended. Here's hoping that maybe we can get back on track!
Hear, hear!!! We can be some opinionated SOB's sometimes and can get carried away into a different direction than the OP intended, my apologies for the part that I took in it. ;)
As for famous people and what they smoked, the first person who came to mind for me was one of my favorite characters Mark Twain and while there wasn't anything that I could find about a specific blend or brand of tobacco that he preferred I did find this writing where he gives his opinion on tobaccos and cigars. Here's a snippet of the article but I would highly recommend reading the whole thing with the link below,... it's hilarious. :D

"It is a brand used by the Italian peasants. It is loose
and dry and black, and looks like tea-grounds. When the fire is
applied it expands, and climbs up and towers above the pipe, and
presently tumbles off inside of one's vest. The tobacco itself
is cheap, but it raises the insurance. It is as I remarked in
the beginning--the taste for tobacco is a matter of superstition.
There are no standards--no real standards. Each man's preference
is the only standard for him, the only one which he can accept,
the only one which can command him". Mark Twain
http://www.online-literature.com/twain/1315/
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Flyfish Falls