Cigarettes

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I still smoke them . Generally, they taste bad and exist as a fix for the most part . Without getting into the dangers , like we hadn't heard of it before , and bringing up quitting them etc ... Id like a thread of what are good cigarettes , as far as taste and whatever else might make them good and general memories , without all the horror stories and whatever other negative things can be brought up about them . If ya hate cigarettes etc .., there's plenty of places on the web to go and you can vent your mind out . I'll even provide a link for you to go to and you can wallow in it for as long as you wish ....
https://www.thetruth.com

When I buy a pack , it's generally a Winston Red . I'll buy others sometimes but I guess the red is what I buy most often . They don't taste very good but they arent as horrible as many others for my taste . Rarely , I'll buy a cheap pouch tobacco , which locally I get 4 aces Turkish blend for 2 bucks a pouch . They don't taste better than WINSTONs but they don't taste worse , just different

Over the years I've rolled many a brand . Drum stands out as real good and Jester is pretty good too , Bugler and Top arent as good as the above but I've rolled them most of all because they used to be really cheap before the prior administrations schip tax , which made pouch roll your own as expensive as buying a pack , basically .

The best cheap cigarette ( labeled pipe tobacco) these days is Red Cap regular .. really good for the cheap end and I'm glad it isn't local here cause I'd probably smoke a bit of it

For bougie higher end stuff , Imho , nothing beats Nat Sherman MCDs and Sobranie Black Russians and the silk filtered ones . I won't smoke them because I will not stop if I do . They taste great , especially the MCD

The forgien stuff , there's a ton that are good . During my smoke shop days , other than MCDs, I smoked way too many Export A Green . I got them wholesale ( like everything else in the shop ) and they were a touch painful , which i actually liked because I'm jaded . Craven A was another . Rothman blue were very good , as was Dunhill and Davidoff . I wouldn't turn down an English Benson and Hedges either

As far as brands of regular American stuff , I went through phases ...

Parliament.. I smoked them back in Jersey for a time and it was actually the first pack I ever bought at Allens drug store in Miami when I was 11 , at the cigarette machine by the front door
Kent ... yeah , smoked them for a time
Players
Old Gold
Lucky Strikes .. theyre pretty good actually
Newport Red
Marlboro 100s , when they were in a goodish pack

But mainly WINSTON and Parliments

My grandmother smoked Raleigh and Bel air and I'd Smoke them when I visited her in NY . Ma smoked the American Benson and Hedges and Dad smoked Carlton ... like a billion of them , lol . Everyone smoked something back in the day , be it cigarette , cigar or pipe ... or a combo of

Oh ..... stay away from Marlboro Edge ... they actually taste good
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
9 Iron
Founding Member

I started smoking cigarettes at 15, mostly Camels or Marlboro. Camel unfiltered tasted best. I quit cigarettes for good in my late twenties, that’s when I started smoking pipes and cigars. A good 2 1/2 decades ago. I do have one cigarette I’ll still roll and smoke, but like Bill Clinton, I don’t inhale. Stokkebye Ansterdam Halfzware Shag is so good I’ll still roll a few occasionally and smoke em just for the taste, especially the slow exhale through the nose. My gosh what a fine tobacco! Doesn’t translate to the pipe though, smokes too hot, the cut is too fine. But a better tasting cigarette was never created.
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

When I smoked cigs, Winston and Camel no filter were my friends.

When I felt like getting fancy, I’d pick up some English Ovals.

Chesterfield was a good one too.
Ray Mackessy
Man About Town

Today I smoke Pall Mall Ultra-Light 100's when I get the urge. Their not harsh. If I smoked a full flavored today I'd be hurt'in. Back in the early 60's, when I started, my cig of choice was always Lucky Strike. I could always get them for a nickel apiece at the corner store.
avid

point of order Mr. Mayor, your starting to wander out of the jurisdiction here...LOL
insufferable filter guy
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Islayphile wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:13 am When I smoked cigs, Winston and Camel no filter were my friends.

When I felt like getting fancy, I’d pick up some English Ovals.

Chesterfield was a good one too.
Oh man , Chesterfields were good ... Id forgotten about them . I wonder if they're still made
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I had a friend who used to smoke some unfiltered cigarette. He would say, "My body is a temple - see they are honey-cured." and show me the package. The name of the brand escapes me, and a quick web search came up empty. Does this ring any bells?

I was thinking about this guy the other day and wondering what he was up to.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

My mom smoked Kent III Ultra Lights basically for as long as I can remember, so naturally my first cigarettes were stolen from her. I'd cut the filter off at the perforations for a fuller smoke :lol: After that it was mainly Camel Filters until I learned how to roll. For me - if I am going to smoke it cigarette(I haven't for probably 15 years) it's gonna be Drum. I bought a pouch of it recently and smoked it in my pipe, and surprisingly it tastes somewhere in between Dark Birdseye and PS Amsterdam.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:15 pm I had a friend who used to smoke some unfiltered cigarette. He would say, "My body is a temple - see they are honey-cured." and show me the package. The name of the brand escapes me, and a quick web search came up empty. Does this ring any bells?

I was thinking about this guy the other day and wondering what he was up to.
Nope, the bells are silent. Maybe a foreign brand? Not to brag, but I'm pretty familiar with all the American brands. 8-)
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Whalehead King

I used to be a very heavy cigarette smoker: 3-5 packs a day and all of them after noon. I didn't smoke in the morning. That was some heavy chain-smoking going down when smoking was still allowed in bars in Connecticut. When I was a wee King, I started off with Newport Lights, then Joe Camel got me hooked on Camel Lights. I smoke unfiltered Luckies for years, then Nat Shermans and those flavored Camels in the metal boxes. Camel Izmir Stingers----man, that was a good smoke and the metal boxes were cooler than empty Sucrets boxes for stashing loose change and sewing notions.

I haven't smoked a cigarette in about ten years. I'm not tempted. I smoke a lot of cigars, and pipes, of course. I smoke 3-4 cigars a day. Maybe a pipe or two when the mood catches me---more pipes and less cigars nowadays since I've discovered Panama Jack Key Lime tobacco.

I can't stand the smell of cigarettes anymore. When I smell them, I think "How often did I offend people's nostrils over the years with all the cigarettes I smoked?" Nowadays, I apologize that I've been smoking cigars when I meet people. They say, "We know. No worries. You smell good."

To this day, some people who knew me back in the day, they still call me Whalehead King, as they should; that's my nom-de-guerre.. They also call me my alternate nickname from back in the day when I walk in the room: "Hey, look! The Izmir Stinger's in the house."

'Nuff said.

If you want to listen to a moron talking about cologne, I provide this video:

If you don't have the patience for that, get a pack of machine made cigars or a tin of Panama Jack Key Lime tobacco. Ladies love the room note of SWRA. That's my smellerific tip of the day.