Sturdy Pants, boots, hats, etc.

Wildcrow
Founding Member

I've been amazed at the lack of quality in anything anymore. Just when I fall in love with a product, it fails. I am an outdoorsman by choice and trade. I need gear that holds up under stress. Since I've completely destroyed several boots, pants, and coats, I've finally settled on spending up for good craftsmanship and quality guaranteyes.

I haven't put enough pressure on my new boots to recommend them just yet, but I'll say this... if you want a sturdy pair of pants, buy Carhartt. Any other pair of work pants or jeans would have given up on my by now, but these Dungaree work pants refuse to tear. I also suspect I'll blow the knees out way before a single stitch gives up. I dunno what they put in the formula, but I'm pleased.

PS. Don't get them near bleach if you plan on wearing them to Dollar General.

Not affiliated with Carhartt or any outdoor company.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Where are they made?

I typically wear work pants in black or grey with the clergy shirt/collar. I have found that "uniform" style work pants work pretty well for my purposes .
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
9 Iron
Founding Member

I've always worn Carhartt dungarees at work and they've always held up well until recently. Last year I bought 5 pair of relaxed fit duck dungarees (not the double front) and within 2 months I had to return 2 pair to Carhartt for replacement. Both times I put the pants in the wash and they came out with huge holes in the material that looked like the pants just exploded. There were no tears or abrasions where it happened and it wasn't on a seam. The material just came apart. I don't know if it's a new and cheaper process or the outsourcing (made in Mexico I believe) QC isn't working, but now I'm kind of leery. A lot of guys at work switched to Dickies the last few years, I may give that a try next time.

Boots, I'll only ever wear one brand as long as they keep making them the same way - Thorogood Moc toe wedge sole leather boots, made in the USA. I quit on Redwing a long time ago because the quality was inconsistent and the break-in was long. Thorogood boots fit like a glove and are outstanding. Expensive? Kind of, but you get what you pay for. I've spent most of my adult life working in rough environments and these boots last and keep my feet happy. The only knock I'll give em is that they are no good in the dead of winter as they have no insulation (literally just leather and sole) and the wedge sole is bad news on ice.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I love Carhartt everything. Had good luck with both Chippewa and Matterhorn boots.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

The warmer it gets , the less I'll be wearing heavy duty work clothes . It's a drag because as the heat approaches it's difficult to find stuff that's tough and won't have you overheating in a matter of minutes .
I have a walls brand insulated , what I call a one piece zip up . It probably weighs 10 lbs but I can be out in 0 degree weather on a mountain ridge and I'm good . Got a camo duck too . Can't wear any of that in summer
Overalls are where it's at for me. The best were liberty brand , made just down the road in Cleveland Tennessee , but they left the country , as did Levi which was in the town next to me ( blue ridge , ga ) . Yeah , overalls but they get hot in summer . I got a cheap old navy overall that's lightweight and dickies makes a light one too ... for spring they're pretty good.
Summer is the thinnest pair of jeans I can find and a t shirt

Boots , Ariat Sierra

For when you're gonna get paint and crap like that on your boots ... caterpillar second shirt . They're indestructible. I think mi e are on 5 years and they're completely intact . I wear them more often than the airat because I work with chemicals a lot the past 5 years , p,us , I just got the ariat a year ago . These cats are tanks ..

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Back when I had disposal income, I wore Redwing's American made line if boots.
Now that income is less disposable, I wear jeans and shirts from Walmart and boots from Kmart. If I watch the sales, I can get buy one get one Eveready boots at Kmart. Steel toe. Not bad really. I get one pair to wear for good and one to sit in waiting. When the current work boots wear out, the good "dress" boots go into service and the pair in waiting become the new dress boots and so on. I get about a year plus out of them. (The Redwing boots could go 2 or better.) My current employer gives me $50 towards boots and with the buy one get one at Kmart, I walk away spending about 20 bucks of my own money for two pair. I've had good luck with Oscar Schmidt work clothes and boots from Tractor Supply in the past too, if I can find them in sale.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Yeah - today I wore a reasonably new pair of black (Walmart) jeans with fisherman sandals, clergy shirt/collar, and a gray fleece jacket I have had for 20 years. I wore the Homburg.

I am not exactly the snappiest dresser, but it works.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Whalehead King

I like Duluth Trading Company. A lot of what they sell doesn't match my lifestyle and fashion sense nowadays (not that it ever did, but they offer a lot that I can adapt), but I always found the quality better than the usual off-the-rack. I am rough on everything, so I appreciate clothing that can take a licking and keep on ticking.

My only problem with Duluth wear is that it's tailored to a "tradesman's fit." As you can tell from my avatar, I'm not a tradesman.

As for hats, it's generally true that you get what you pay for. I've had inexpensive hats that lasted me a 2-3 years. Most inexpensive hats last less long. I have more expensive hats that still hold their shape and keep me cutting a dashing silhouette under a lamp post when I'm leaning on it for 10+ years.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

@Fr_Tom, Fisherman's sandals... How appropriate! PS) Love the Homburg!!

@Whalehead King, my favorite hat by far is a black and white houndstooth newsboy I picked up in an old time General store in Shelburne VT years ago. I think it cost me ten Washingtons. It's served me well, but is an exception to the rule of getting what one pays for.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Whalehead King

Wildcat wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:53 pm @Fr_Tom, Fisherman's sandals... How appropriate! PS) Love the Homburg!!

@Whalehead King, my favorite hat by far is a black and white houndstooth newsboy I picked up in an old time General store in Shelburne VT years ago. I think it cost me ten Washingtons. It's served me well, but is an exception to the rule of getting what one pays for.
Nothing bad every came out of Vermont, or Connecticut for that matter.