Mailing Pipe Tobacco Woes?

Flyfish Falls

If that were true, how could Smoking Pipes, Tobacco Pipes, Pipes and Cigars et al ship their tobaccos to their customers?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Flyfish Falls wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:28 pm If that were true, how could Smoking Pipes, Tobacco Pipes, Pipes and Cigars et al ship their tobaccos to their customers?
If you are a licensed tobacco retailer/business, you can fill out a form that authorizes you to mail tobacco to customers.
472.22 Exception for Business/Regulatory Purposes
Eligibility to mail and to receive mail under the business/regulatory purposes exception is limited to federal and state government agencies and legally operating businesses that have all applicable state and federal government licenses or permits and are engaged in tobacco product manufacturing, distribution, wholesale, export, import, testing, investigation, or research under the conditions in 472.221
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:18 pm I've never had a problem. Package it, weigh it, stamp it, drop it in the box.
Ditto on Mr. Keith. I've mailed tobacco all over the country, including AK, with no issue. Probably because I do all of my mailing via the self-service kiosk at my post office in the evenings. The only designations I've been asked to confirm by that machine is if it is liquid, fragile (that's French), perishable, or explosive. I print the label, slap it on, and put it in the outgoing mail box. Never had an issue.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

houtenziel wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:57 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:33 pm Nowhere is pipe tobacco mentioned or referenced . In the state of Georgia we figure words mean things and take it for what is written and not propose " lawyerspeak " as to what it could mean , which is probably why southeners seem to simply speech ... It's because the bullshit is taken out

'Ive not ever had one issue with shipping pipe tobacco in Georgia

Also , they can only ask if its dangerous etc .,, for shipping purposes . They cant ask more than that because it's not their business to
Point is , you don't tell people what you're mailing , unless it could blow up or actually do damage
Regardless of how you feel about it, it's the postal regulation. They define any form of loose tobacco as "Roll-your-own".. and they even further allow their interpretation in by using the phrase "is suitable for use" when talking about loose tobacco. I get that it's total legalese.. but to live in today's day and age you have to pay attention.

Every time I go to the PO they ask me to verify that none of the stuff on the screen is in my package, and sure enough.. Tobacco is on that list. And given the penalty for knowingly mailing restricted items, I'd rather just be honest and get denied on the spot.
(d) Additional Penalties.—
In addition to any other fines and penalties under this title for violations of this section, any person violating this section shall be subject to an additional civil penalty in the amount equal to 10 times the retail value of the nonmailable cigarettes or smokeless tobacco, including all Federal, State, and local taxes.
(e) Criminal Penalty.—
Whoever knowingly deposits for mailing or delivery, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail, according to the direction thereon, or at any place at which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, anything that is nonmailable matter under this section shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
Paying attention to that shit is what gives it validity . Don't encourage it . It's like a squeaky wheel . Giving in isn't the solution is how I see it . Its funny you mention a screen . I've never seen a screen, they just have a placard sticker thing with out a picture of tobacco , but other stuff like chemicals , explosives etc .. skull and crossbones type stuff
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Every time I go to the PO they ask me to verify that none of the stuff on the screen is in my package, and sure enough.. Tobacco is on that list. And given the penalty for knowingly mailing restricted items, I'd rather just be honest and get denied on the spot.
The last time I paid attention, I was clicking about lithium batteries and perfume.

If any of you folks actually get prison time out of this, I can get visiting privileges and make pastoral calls.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Dr Uhaha

Fr_Tom wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:06 am
The last time I paid attention, I was clicking about lithium batteries and perfume.

If any of you folks actually get prison time out of this, I can get visiting privileges and make pastoral calls.
My aunt used to visit her boyfriend in federal prison and smuggle him pipe tobacco stuffed in a thin flexible plastic tube, which she would wrap around her waist on entry, and feed through breathe holes in the visitor plexiglass. True story.

Just saying...
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:02 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:33 pm Nowhere is pipe tobacco mentioned or referenced . In the state of Georgia we figure words mean things and take it for what is written and not propose " lawyerspeak " as to what it could mean , which is probably why southeners seem to simply speech ... It's because the bullshit is taken out

Also , they can only ask if its dangerous etc .,, for shipping purposes . They cant ask more than that because it's not their business to
Point is , you don't tell people what you're mailing , unless it could blow up or actually do damage
Regardless of how you feel about it, it's the postal regulation. They define any form of loose tobacco as "Roll-your-own".. and they even further allow their interpretation in by using the phrase "is suitable for use" when talking about loose tobacco. I get that it's total legalese.. but to live in today's day and age you have to pay attention.

In addition to any other fines and penalties under this title for violations of this section, any person violating this section shall be subject to an additional civil penalty in the amount equal to 10 times the retail value of the nonmailable cigarettes or smokeless tobacco, including all Federal, State, and local taxes.
(e) Criminal Penalty.—
Whoever knowingly deposits for mailing or delivery, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail, according to the direction thereon, or at any place at which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, anything that is nonmailable matter under this section shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
Paying attention to that shit is what gives it validity . Don't encourage it . It's like a squeaky wheel . Giving in isn't the solution is how I see it . Its funny you mention a screen . I've never seen a screen, they just have a placard sticker thing with out a picture of tobacco , but other stuff like chemicals , explosives etc .. skull and crossbones type stuff
There are a lot of laws I would love to just ignore, because I disagree and would love to invalidate..

I appreciate what you are saying, and to a certain point I agree with you. However, postal regulations are mandated and backed by federal laws. Even if I don't agree with them, I think it's important to be an honest person and follow them. I certainly am not going to advocate knowingly breaking a federal law to someone else for something as trivial as sending some tobacco to another person - especially when you can legitimately call it a gift to another person, and use their own regulatory loopholes against them. You sidestep those laws enough times and someone starts taking notice, you could have an ATF agent knocking on your door wondering why taxes aren't being paid on this tobacco moving from state to state. I've personally dealt with the ATF before, and it's not something I would wish on anyone.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

houtenziel wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:46 am

There are a lot of laws I would love to just ignore, because I disagree and would love to invalidate..

I appreciate what you are saying, and to a certain point I agree with you. However, postal regulations are mandated and backed by federal laws. Even if I don't agree with them, I think it's important to be an honest person and follow them. I certainly am not going to advocate knowingly breaking a federal law to someone else for something as trivial as sending some tobacco to another person - especially when you can legitimately call it a gift to another person, and use their own regulatory loopholes against them. You sidestep those laws enough times and someone starts taking notice, you could have an ATF agent knocking on your door wondering why taxes aren't being paid on this tobacco moving from state to state. I've personally dealt with the ATF before, and it's not something I would wish on anyone.
I hear ya brother , i do . I have no faith in law, is what it is . Laws to a point but that's about it for me . Beyond that , I do what I want and I'll deal with whatever if someone ( the " law " ) has an issue with it . Im in a redneck mafia mentality and it's probably no good , lol
JTWilliams

(e) Criminal Penalty.—
But, but, but.... nicotine is and addictive chemical...the pouches and tins say so!! :lol: :roll:
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

JTWilliams wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:42 pm

But, but, but.... nicotine is and addictive chemical...the pouches and tins say so!! :lol: :roll:
Yes , lol , it's says so on the package ....