Member in Very Good Standing

I will, however, admit to having a flask
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
JTWilliams
Member in Very Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:27 pm
JTWilliams wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:22 pm
houtenziel wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:04 pm I am all for bringing formal dress back into everyday living.. but this, at least to me, seems like late stage hipsteria. Unkempt beards, bottles of Nighttrain, and listening to the Decemberists on vinyl is no longer appropriate at a certain point of adulthood. So, the natural progression for this demographic is to upscale whilst still keeping to their roots of looking to the past for things that will boost their faux-individualism. And BR is right.. social media has become a platform of self gratification for anyone and everyone.. especially those folks who seek attention in this manner. I am generally suspicious of anyone who intentionally tries to stand out from societal norms, and then makes youtube videos about it to self justify.. my suspicions haven't been proven false to date.
I love the Decemberists! In my defense, I don't own any vinyl. Or a vest. Or a tie. And I still love Motorhead.
That's what you get for talkin' smack about percolators. Hipster.. :D
Well played, sir, well played :D
"Yeah, well, y'know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."
-The Big Lebowski
Tsal
Forum Decorum

MikeDennison wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:16 pm I'm too old to appreciate let alone participate in hipsterism or it's variants. I've always chuckled wryly to myself over the various hipsters I've met; adopting the dress and grooming of earlier times, but utterly lacking in the strength, the character, and discipline of the men of those earlier times. I don't mean to generalize, but this is my experience.
I delivered a small load of 300 pallets to a print shop the other day and the hipster in skinny jeans that answered the delivery door said," okay "bring them in". That was the first strike, I told him that's not how it works, your supposed to unload the truck yourself. I backed into the door and I heard rustling going on for about 20 mins inside the truck so I went to look to see what was going on and he was trying to figure out how to use the pallet jack inside the truck without putting the dock plate down. :lol: I was there for about two hours and when he was finished he looked like someone beat him up.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

JTWilliams wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:32 pm I will, however, admit to having a flask
I wear a bowler.
The Troll Whisperer
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:34 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:16 pm I'm too old to appreciate let alone participate in hipsterism or it's variants. I've always chuckled wryly to myself over the various hipsters I've met; adopting the dress and grooming of earlier times, but utterly lacking in the strength, the character, and discipline of the men of those earlier times. I don't mean to generalize, but this is my experience.
I delivered a small load of 300 pallets to a print shop the other day and the hipster in skinny jeans that answered the delivery door said," okay "bring them in". That was the first strike, I told him that's not how it works, your supposed to unload the truck yourself. I backed into the door and I heard rustling going on for about 20 mins inside the truck so I went to look to see what was going on and he was trying to figure out how to use the pallet jack inside the truck without putting the dock plate down. :lol: I was there for about two hours and when he was finished he looked like someone beat him up.
😖
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:39 pm
JTWilliams wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:32 pm I will, however, admit to having a flask
I wear a bowler.
That ain't no hipster. 😂
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Tsal
Forum Decorum

MikeDennison wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:48 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:39 pm
I wear a bowler.
That ain't no hipster. 😂
That was a few years ago, this one was last year.
The Troll Whisperer
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:53 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:39 pm I wear a bowler.
That ain't no hipster. 😂
One tough Jersey SOB, and I mean that in the very best way. 😁
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:53 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:39 pm I wear a bowler.
That ain't no hipster. 😂
If I didn't know better, I'd say you were a gun hand, BAMF from some old western.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I'll also go with poser. And add (in period correct lingo) dweeb to the mix. I try to be a good human being but I'll admit that's the sort of person I make fun of

*not you Mr Royale. You're good people
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin