PSF Song of the Day

User avatar
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:20 am

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Yum, yum, yum, yum, yummity-yum. I do thank you, Preacher Man, but I don't have ten free hours in a day to listen to this song. I prefer to get it sung over and over, wormed into my brain in as short a time as possible. I like 1000x normal speed so that I can listen to 10 hours worth of this song in---well, you do the math. Or, choose the speed that suits your attention span best.



I think we have an unofficial PSF anthem until something better shows up. Why, oh why, hasn't someone written "It's Raining Pipes?!?"

God bless Mother Nature and I hate to bring this up, but, once upon a time there was a song about raining men. It's not as catchy as the taco song:



And then their's this guy:

Image

Ceci n'est pas une pipe. A tip of my fedora to René Magritte, the Weather Girls, Parry Grip and BooneBum, and Preacher 1611 for making the pipe smoking world a little more intriguing and :awesome: .
----Just some joker in New Orleans who happens to have time on his hands while running a tiny hotel.
User avatar
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:20 am

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:06 pm

Preacher1611 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:35 am
Wow! The Sandpipers! The Bee Gees! The Taco Song! What can I post as song of the day the compares!?

I've never seen this video before, except for the time I saw part of it in real life. This is how @Ruffinogold got the jukebox started when he walked into a diner one night, after midnight, off the New Jersey Turnpike. He tossed a quarter across the room and it landed right in the slot. The lady sitting next to the jukebox tossed him her zippo across the room, over everyone's heads, in a perfect arc. He caught it, flicked it open, and lit his pipe all in one smooth Jackson-esque motion. Then, Ruff moonwalked to his table leaving a trail of pipe smoke in his wake---to the beat of the song that started playing after the quarter landed in position:



Some of the other customers murmured amongst their tables that this had been rehearsed. "Where's the hidden camera?" they asked each other, looking around, looking for Alan Funt.

"No," I whispered to the table next to me, a couple of old ladies in red sequined gowns with their tuxedoed goomba escorts. "This is Ruff's world. We only live in it."

I don't think Michael Jackson was at that diner when I was there, but Ruff gets around. Jack-o may have used Ruff as his inspiration for this choreography after another encounter. He's known for tossing loose change in juke joints all up and down the East Coast. Where angels fear to tread, there you will find Ruffino Gold.

That night in the diner, though, after Ruff moonwalked in, we all ate tacos and smoked pipes. We all had a grand time and made friendships that have lasted to this day. Now you know how I met Ruffino Gold. I still haven't mastered that quarter trick, though he's showed me about a twenty times and I've practiced it about a thousand until the manager kicks me out of a place. :facepalm:

Truth is stranger than fiction.
This post by Whalehead King liked by:
Preacher1611
----Just some joker in New Orleans who happens to have time on his hands while running a tiny hotel.
User avatar
Ruffinogold
The Mayor
Posts: 888
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:48 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff , Georgia

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:45 pm

This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 2):
Preacher1611Whalehead King
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
KevinK
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:06 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 am

I still maintain that Rumors is one of the best sounding albums of all time. Oh, and the music is great too. :D

This post by KevinK liked by (total 2):
Whalehead KingMr Beardsley
User avatar
Preacher1611
Active Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 11:32 am
Location: Van Schaick Island, NY

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:37 am

Whalehead King wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:06 pm
Preacher1611 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:35 am
Wow! The Sandpipers! The Bee Gees! The Taco Song! What can I post as song of the day the compares!?

I've never seen this video before, except for the time I saw part of it in real life. This is how @Ruffinogold got the jukebox started when he walked into a diner one night, after midnight, off the New Jersey Turnpike. He tossed a quarter across the room and it landed right in the slot. The lady sitting next to the jukebox tossed him her zippo across the room, over everyone's heads, in a perfect arc. He caught it, flicked it open, and lit his pipe all in one smooth Jackson-esque motion. Then, Ruff moonwalked to his table leaving a trail of pipe smoke in his wake---to the beat of the song that started playing after the quarter landed in position:



Some of the other customers murmured amongst their tables that this had been rehearsed. "Where's the hidden camera?" they asked each other, looking around, looking for Alan Funt.

"No," I whispered to the table next to me, a couple of old ladies in red sequined gowns with their tuxedoed goomba escorts. "This is Ruff's world. We only live in it."

I don't think Michael Jackson was at that diner when I was there, but Ruff gets around. Jack-o may have used Ruff as his inspiration for this choreography after another encounter. He's known for tossing loose change in juke joints all up and down the East Coast. Where angels fear to tread, there you will find Ruffino Gold.

That night in the diner, though, after Ruff moonwalked in, we all ate tacos and smoked pipes. We all had a grand time and made friendships that have lasted to this day. Now you know how I met Ruffino Gold. I still haven't mastered that quarter trick, though he's showed me about a twenty times and I've practiced it about a thousand until the manager kicks me out of a place. :facepalm:

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Best. Post. EVER!!!
User avatar
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:20 am

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Preacher1611 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:37 am
Best. Post. EVER!!!
Awwww! You just have a soft spot for the taco song. Who doesn't?
This post by Whalehead King liked by:
Preacher1611
----Just some joker in New Orleans who happens to have time on his hands while running a tiny hotel.
User avatar
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:20 am

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:25 pm

KevinK wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 am
I still maintain that Rumors is one of the best sounding albums of all time. Oh, and the music is great too. :D

I don't dislike Fleetwood Mac. Rumors better than Tusk? I dunno.

Looking at his ponytail on the Rumors album cover though, I'm thinking this is a sign that the world was going to hell in a hand basket. That's reserved for matadors only. He may as well have tied it into a bun.

I was going through an old notebook and found the notation: "Opening credits for Charade." Apparently I find this snippet of song and video worth remembering. It's a good thing I take notes! Here ya go:

----Just some joker in New Orleans who happens to have time on his hands while running a tiny hotel.
User avatar
Preacher1611
Active Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 11:32 am
Location: Van Schaick Island, NY

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:16 am

Because, Elvis and because, I can:

This post by Preacher1611 liked by:
Whalehead King
User avatar
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:20 am

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:43 pm

Preacher1611 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:16 am
Because, Elvis and because, I can:

I just listened to a very interesting Malcolm Gladwell podcast on this last week. He could never perform this song right. Check it out.

Gladwell's podcast is called 'Revisionist History.' It's very, very interesting in general but this episode was particularly so because it delved into Elvis and a few other things regarding memory and performance---something I often have trouble with---though not for the same reasons.

I think you'll like this one episode, at least. I'm a Gladwell fan, though he and I don't always see eye-to-eye. He's a smart fellow, which I am not.
This post by Whalehead King liked by:
Preacher1611
----Just some joker in New Orleans who happens to have time on his hands while running a tiny hotel.
User avatar
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:20 am

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Our history song of the day:

This post by Whalehead King liked by:
Preacher1611
----Just some joker in New Orleans who happens to have time on his hands while running a tiny hotel.
Post Reply