Concrete Leveling

mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Anyone ever had this done?
The patio we had poured 5 years ago is settling weird and we get water running thru the garage when it rains heavily.
The first quote came in at $2550.
This post by mrpipster liked by (total 3):
Middle EarthFr_TomRonv69
Middle Earth
Member in Good Standing

I did enormous and smaller jobs in hardscape
You probably need to demo the patio and repour/replace
Don't know where you live, but concrete pavers make nice patios
This job with pavers would be more money but look real good
We charged $1.25 per square foot for demo and removal on small jobs
Then $3 plus dollars per square foot for materials
Get fiber-crete and plenty of rebar
If you have clay soil you need adequate road base compacted to 97 +/-
It must drain the right way
You can do the demo with a long bar and a sledge hammer if it does not have rebar
Otherwise you need a saw with a diamond blade
How many square feet are you talking about ?????
Last edited by Middle Earth on Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post by Middle Earth liked by (total 2):
Fr_TomRonv69
9 Iron
Founding Member

I’m in concrete, been driving a mixer Truck in a union shop for 20 years, seen and done a lot, including doing side jobs on weekends for cash working on homeowner jobs like your patio.

A lot of people will tell you what they think or what they want you to believe so you’ll pay them. I’ll tell you what I know, and you can take it from there.

Your patio sank and now water is not draining away from the main slab as it should. Why is this? Labor is expensive. The easiest way to put in a lower quote to secure the job and get the contract to pour your patio is to cut corners. When the ground was prepped before pouring was it compacted, rocked in and was wire placed on dobie support blocks? Probably not. Compaction settles the underlying ground base, the rock (gravel base layer) provides a solid foundation for the new readymix to tie into and the supported wire sits mid level inside the fresh concrete tying it all together as one piece. This keeps your patio slab from sinking, shifting and breaking. But, this is far more expensive than just leveling the dirt and pouring fresh concrete on top.

Concrete weighs about 2 tons per cubic yard. It’s frikkin heavy. If a spot of ground under that slab settles, the concrete WILL sink there, and bad things will happen eventually.

People will tell you that they can float that slab in the bad/low spots and you’ll be able to walk on it right away, and the water will once again drain away from the house. Yeah, but for how long? Remember the part where I told you that concrete weighs 2 tons a cubic yard? Gravity and mass will eventually win out, and your expensive leveling job will fail. Don’t throw good money after bad. A good contractor will identify where and how large the sinking area is and cut the area out with a saw, remove it, compact and level that low spot and re-pour new concrete there. This is the only real long term fix, everything else is just short term smoke and mirrors, on your dime.

If you’re lucky that will be the only area that isn’t sinking back in towards the slab. If they identify multiple areas I’d rip it out and start over, and do it right.
This post by 9 Iron liked by (total 3):
Middle EarthFr_TomRonv69
Middle Earth
Member in Good Standing

@9 Iron
"Loved" prevail wage, paying $35 plus an hour for a guy and a shovel
Did a lot of work for cities/counties
Millions and millions of feet of hardscape
Much harder to bid those jobs and do the accounting

Mrpipster's job seems really basic
I believe there was inadequare road based added and poorely compacted or a water leak compromising the base
Fr_TomRonv69
9 Iron
Founding Member

I can’t comment on the prevailing wage thing without coming across as an ass to someone somewhere, but I will say that I’m in a prevailing wage job, every day, all day, and it used to be about learning it and earning it. I know I did, and do every day. Too often this isn’t the case.
Middle EarthFr_TomRonv69
Middle Earth
Member in Good Standing

It is seriously good money but just way harder to estimate
At least that was my experience
Whatever you earn you deserve

Now back to the patio
Fr_TomRonv69
9 Iron
Founding Member

Middle Earth wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:51 pm
Now back to the patio
It’s leaning the wrong way and it’s kinda heavy....
Middle EarthFr_TomRonv69
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Well the patio is 14x10.
This post by mrpipster liked by (total 3):
Middle Earth9 IronRonv69
Middle Earth
Member in Good Standing

140 square feet
That bid is high
Even at $5 a square foot a high end price where I am
That is $700
Demo at $5 a square foot (really high price )$700
Small size job you pay more, but even then that is $1,400
If everything has to be done with small backyard access and 100% wheelbarrow
Still a sub $2k deal
Get more bids
In the end you will have to pay whatever the local cost is
Just seems really high to me
This post by Middle Earth liked by:
Fr_Tom
9 Iron
Founding Member

mrpipster wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:49 pm
Well the patio is 14x10.
14’x10’x4” thick is a 2 yard pour. That’s $250 worth of concrete, $50 for a half yard of rock base. If it was me I’d take my time this summer and break it up, pay a dump-run guy to haul it off, clean up the area and find a couple of finishers to come set forms, lay the rock and re-pour the patio. You should be able to hire two finishers for the day for $300 each, have the lumber on hand for the forms and a pile of rock at the ready, and order the concrete yourself as a COD on a Saturday. Probably do the whole thing for $1200. I would NOT pay someone twice that amount to try to level a bad concrete pad that will have to be replaced anyhow.
This post by 9 Iron liked by (total 4):
Fr_TomMiddle EarthRonv69RDPipes