Sonny's 1974 Kenworth W-950
No votes

Total votes: 6
RDPipes

Bruyere_Royale wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:47 pm
RDPipes wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:28 pm
Drove for 20+ years local and OTR, last truck was a 2000 Kenworth 3 axle conventional. Before that they weren't always pretty.
Drove an old Mack 6 speed 2 axle and an even older Freight shaker cabin over 3 axle with a tag that use to beat me to death regularly.
Then I went lease driver for a company and drove a 75 Freight shaker 3 axle cabin over sleeper. Not a bad truck as far as cab over's go
which is good cause I spent most my time in it leased to Coke running tanker's to Tucson. Drove a 60 Kenworth conv. for C&H for a time too.
Really can't remember all the trucks I drove just the ones that stuck out, like an old 65 Frieght shaker 3 axle cabin over sleeper the company got
from Transcon, a 10 speed (as most of the trucks I drove except the Mack 6spd and the Pete 13spd) with the splitter on the dash. Yep, they used
the same switch type used to slide the 5th wheel. Real fun having to slap the dash every time I split gears but, ya got use to it. I was told Transcon
did that to slow there drivers down shifting, yeah I know, how fast can ya shift a 10 speed anyway, these trucks weren't hot rods.
Slow and steady! I've driven a dash slapper before, not for work but for fun. Love the trucks πŸ‘
Really? I've mentioned it to several other drivers and they'd look at me like a had a 3rd eye. Good to know I'm not the only one.
This post by RDPipes liked by:
Bruyere_Royale
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:51 pm
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:28 pm
Drove for 20+ years local and OTR, last truck was a 2000 Kenworth 3 axle conventional. Before that they weren't always pretty.
Drove an old Mack 6 speed 2 axle and an even older Freight shaker cabin over 3 axle with a tag that use to beat me to death regularly.
Then I went lease driver for a company and drove a 75 Freight shaker 3 axle cabin over sleeper. Not a bad truck as far as cab over's go
which is good cause I spent most my time in it leased to Coke running tanker's to Tucson. Drove a 60 Kenworth conv. for C&H for a time too.
Really can't remember all the trucks I drove just the ones that stuck out, like an old 65 Frieght shaker 3 axle cabin over sleeper the company got
from Transcon, a 10 speed (as most of the trucks I drove except the Mack 6spd and the Pete 13spd) with the splitter on the dash. Yep, they used
the same switch type used to slide the 5th wheel. Real fun having to slap the dash every time I split gears but, ya got use to it. I was told Transcon
did that to slow there drivers down shifting, yeah I know, how fast can ya shift a 10 speed anyway, these trucks weren't hot rods.
Slow and steady! I've driven a dash slapper before, not for work but for fun. Love the trucks πŸ‘
Really? I've mentioned it to several other drivers and they'd look at me like a had a 3rd eye. Good to know I'm not the only one.
Yep, I forgot the year but a few Pete's had a 15 spd, basically an overdrive button on the dash.
Tsal...Mover' of things... 🎳
RDPipes

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:54 pm
Yep, I forgot the year but a few Pete's had a 15 spd, basically an overdrive button on the dash.
Now that I haven't seen but, there's still plenty of places I haven't been.
This post by RDPipes liked by:
Bruyere_Royale
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:06 pm
Yessir, the super heavy dolly guys ran with the deep reduction button.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 2):
RDPipesKevin Keith
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:22 am
We called those dollys "stingers." lol
This post by Kevin Keith liked by:
Bruyere_Royale
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member

Kevin Keith wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:17 pm
Why? Lol
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by:
Kevin Keith
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:08 pm
Why? Lol
'Cause we were morons, and we liked it! lol Really, just because they were stuck on the rear, like a wasp stinger. Nothing official, just me and a few other guys I worked with called them that AFAIK.
This post by Kevin Keith liked by:
Bruyere_Royale
Bruyere_Royale
Founding Member

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:46 pm

Why? Lol
'Cause we were morons, and we liked it! lol Really, just because they were stuck on the rear, like a wasp stinger. Nothing official, just me and a few other guys I worked with called them that AFAIK.
:lol: That makes sense...but that little double dragger is nothin'. When I say dolly I mean dolly. Lol
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 2):
Kevin KeithMr Beardsley
RDPipes

Now that's a DOLLY! The little 2 axle one is more like what we called a congear.
Never drug anything that big behind me, closes I got was a 48' drop deck container chassis with a tank.
Not to mention a 53' dry van and that small next to that sir.
This post by RDPipes liked by (total 2):
Kevin KeithBruyere_Royale
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:33 pm
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:46 pm
Why? Lol
:lol: That makes sense...but that little double dragger is nothin'. When I say dolly I mean dolly. Lol
LOL We'd just watch those monsters roll on down the road. Anything that massive and expensive def most likely already had anything we'd be asking to look at, not to mention brakes, lights, whatnot. That and there was never a good spot to stop anyway.

And...swamper. It's still funny.
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 2):
Bruyere_RoyaleRDPipes