Hats

Citizen B
Member in Good Standing

pipelover wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:32 am The hat you see was made in Peshwar, in Northern Pakistan while i was travelling there for 2 months. I was measured and a last was found, to make it. It has a long piece rolled up, as you see at the bottom. For cold weather it rolls over the ears.
Unroll it all the way and it can serve as a bucket to water your horse at a well.

I got lost in the dialect early in your clogs story. Even though I get a couple words farther every time I reread it, I still can't make much heads nor tails of it. No need to explain further. I've got the gist. I am neither a botanist nor a dancer.

We both agree it's a good hat, and it is. Great minds think alike. :king:
This post by Citizen B liked by (total 4):
MikeDennisonBruyere_RoyaleMaynardRonv69
---An angel with a dirty face.
Citizen B
Member in Good Standing

Say what you want about Boy George, but he has always known how to wear a hat.

I don't have a lot of opinions about the rest of his wardrobe but he's a guy who knows how to wear a hat like he owns it.

Sometimes the hat makes the man and sometimes the man makes the hat. Which one are you, all talk and no hat or no talk in a white hat?

If you are going to wear a hat, wear it like it belongs on you. The most attractive thing you put on every day is confidence. Sport a hat like you mean it.

Has anyone ever worn one of those beanies with a propeller on top?
This post by Citizen B liked by (total 3):
MaynardMikeDennisonRonv69
Citizen B
Member in Good Standing

The evolution of Boy George's hat wearing. I don't always agree with his opinions, we all have different opinions, and I don't always agree with his taste in hats, but.......

Boy George has always been a hat man. He prefers oversized hats. I'm sure a number of the hats in his collection are custom made. You can't find hats like that at Meyer the Hatter, the largest and oldest hat store in the south.

Fun fact; a hatter sells hats. A professional haberdasher may sell a line or two of hats but a haberdasher's main line is men's clothing in all its forms. A lot of people don't realize this. They ask me who my haberdasher is, and I tell them, and then they come back and tell me that my haberdashers don't sell hats. Why would they? That's not their business.

I go to a haberdasher for shirts, suits, pocket squares, socks, things like that. If my haberdasher has a hat I like, I may buy a hat there, but I usually go to a hatter to get the widest selection to meet my lifestyle needs, and to get a hat that fits my head like it was made for my head.

There is nothing worse than wearing a hat that is too small for your head. It's a headache and you know the whole time you look like Oliver Hardy. The second worst thing is when a light breeze blows your hat off your head. That's why buying a hat will never be a mail order business----you have to try it on to know that it fits just right.
This post by Citizen B liked by (total 3):
MaynardMikeDennisonRonv69
Longshanks

Gosh, been so long I don't remember the profile name - I think it was WhaleKing out of Louisiana... I think he'd wear this hat in a heartbeat.
Dr Uhaha wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:55 am Have always wanted to be a "hat guy," but nature gave me an unusually large brain case, so the typical one-size-fits-all jobs have never been an option. Have been looking at the one below, but not sure I'd be brave enough to wear it in public. It takes a guy with real pizzazz to wear one of these!

Me personally, I like my Bavarian hat... part of my October stein hoist attire. Got a pheasant feather and a few military pins in it.

Of course, being the 'non-chic' blue collar that I am, I can be seen in a drivers hat every so often.
This post by Longshanks liked by (total 4):
Dr UhahaMikeDennisonRuffinogoldRonv69
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
MikeDennison
Codger in Training

Longshanks wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:03 pm Gosh, been so long I don't remember the profile name - I think it was WhaleKing out of Louisiana... I think he'd wear this hat in a heartbeat.
Dr Uhaha wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:55 am Have always wanted to be a "hat guy," but nature gave me an unusually large brain case, so the typical one-size-fits-all jobs have never been an option. Have been looking at the one below, but not sure I'd be brave enough to wear it in public. It takes a guy with real pizzazz to wear one of these!

Me personally, I like my Bavarian hat... part of my October stein hoist attire. Got a pheasant feather and a few military pins in it.

Of course, being the 'non-chic' blue collar that I am, I can be seen in a drivers hat every so often.
That drivers cap is a good look for ya, brother.
This post by MikeDennison liked by:
Longshanks
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Citizen B
Member in Good Standing

Longshanks wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:03 pm Gosh, been so long I don't remember the profile name - I think it was WhaleKing out of Louisiana... I think he'd wear this hat in a heartbeat.

Firstly, Whalehead King is a bum, even if he does know his way around the battery of hattery. He used to live in Danbury, Connecticut, known as Hat City.

https://hatcitypools.com/the-history-of-hat-city

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with a Bavarian hat if you are living the life style, especially if you are living it in Bavaria, which is like the Texas of Germany. I'd never tell anyone they're being pretentious wearing a cowboy hat in Ohio or Oregon or in Maine, the same way I wouldn't say it if they were wearing a Bavarian-----especially if the Bavarian had all those walking club pins people like to pin on them.

Thirdly, while I, personally, have given up on brimmed caps because I don't think they suit the shape of my face, I still wear berets and zuchettos. I still wear a busted up leather newsboy cap because it was the first cap that I bought, 25 years ago, and it has served me well al these years.

What I don't like is a driving cap, or a newsboy cap, with a snap on the brim. I'll never buy a cap with a snap because you either have to keep it snapped all the time or, otherwise, you look like a moron, and, sometimes, I don't want the body of my cap attached to the brim. Sometimes, my cranium wants some breathing room.

I've had a lot of cloth driving caps over the years but I've gotten rid of them. I find a straw fedora is the perfect summer hat for every situation and a felt fedora is the perfect hat for colder months. YMMV.
This post by Citizen B liked by (total 2):
MikeDennisonRonv69
Longshanks

I'll +1 the dislike for snaps on drivers/newsboy hats. Not a fan of those at all. And for clarification, the Bavarian hat is seasonal attire for me... reserved for Octoberfest only. Sits in a box the rest of the year. :-)
Citizen B wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:13 pm

Firstly, Whalehead King is a bum, even if he does know his way around the battery of hattery. He used to live in Danbury, Connecticut, known as Hat City.

https://hatcitypools.com/the-history-of-hat-city

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with a Bavarian hat if you are living the life style, especially if you are living it in Bavaria, which is like the Texas of Germany. I'd never tell anyone they're being pretentious wearing a cowboy hat in Ohio or Oregon or in Maine, the same way I wouldn't say it if they were wearing a Bavarian-----especially if the Bavarian had all those walking club pins people like to pin on them.

Thirdly, while I, personally, have given up on brimmed caps because I don't think they suit the shape of my face, I still wear berets and zuchettos. I still wear a busted up leather newsboy cap because it was the first cap that I bought, 25 years ago, and it has served me well al these years.

What I don't like is a driving cap, or a newsboy cap, with a snap on the brim. I'll never buy a cap with a snap because you either have to keep it snapped all the time or, otherwise, you look like a moron, and, sometimes, I don't want the body of my cap attached to the brim. Sometimes, my cranium wants some breathing room.

I've had a lot of cloth driving caps over the years but I've gotten rid of them. I find a straw fedora is the perfect summer hat for every situation and a felt fedora is the perfect hat for colder months. YMMV.
This post by Longshanks liked by (total 3):
MikeDennisonCitizen BRonv69
Longshanks
Citizen B
Member in Good Standing

I like a driver's cap that is one piece, no snap. My grandfather used to wear wool caps like that.

As long as there is no snap, I'm more inclined to try out that hat. I won't wear Autrailian bush hats with snaps on the side. It just looks stupid. Crocodile Dundee didn't snap up the sides of his hat. It was bent into shape by long experience in the bush.

-----I thought @Longshanks hadn't responded because when someone quotes, I go to the bottom of the post to see what was written in reply. I thought LS just quoted the OP and left it blank. It's only afterwards, when I went back, that I realized you had added to the conversation, which I haven't directly responded to because I didn't see it and I'm in the editing phase after my post has already been published.

I'll try to remember to look at the top of your quotes from now on. This isn't the first time I thought you were quoting without saying anything. My bad. This is the only forum I participate on so I don't know what the usual format is elsewhere. I'm used to PSF and the usual gang of chuckleheads. Merry Christmas to you, LongShanks!
MikeDennisonRonv69
Longshanks

Citizen B wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:41 pm I like a driver's cap that is one piece, no snap. My grandfather used to wear wool caps like that.

As long as there is no snap, I'm more inclined to try out that hat. I won't wear Autrailian bush hats with snaps on the side. It just looks stupid. Crocodile Dundee didn't snap up the sides of his hat. It was bent into shape by long experience in the bush.

-----I thought @Longshanks hadn't responded because when someone quotes, I go to the bottom of the post to see what was written in reply. I thought LS just quoted the OP and left it blank. It's only afterwards, when I went back, that I realized you had added to the conversation, which I haven't directly responded to because I didn't see it and I'm in the editing phase after my post has already been published.

I'll try to remember to look at the top of your quotes from now on. This isn't the first time I thought you were quoting without saying anything. My bad. This is the only forum I participate on so I don't know what the usual format is elsewhere. I'm used to PSF and the usual gang of chuckleheads. Merry Christmas to you, LongShanks!
I've been away for awhile. Put me on the naughty list. I'll try to follow protocol going forward. I certainly don't want anyone missing my nuggets of wisdom here. LOL
Merry Christmas to you as well. :-)
This post by Longshanks liked by (total 3):
MikeDennisonFr_TomRonv69
Longshanks
Citizen B
Member in Good Standing

Longshanks wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:53 pm
Citizen B wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:41 pm I like a driver's cap that is one piece, no snap. My grandfather used to wear wool caps like that.

I've been away for awhile. Put me on the naughty list. I'll try to follow protocol going forward. I certainly don't want anyone missing my nuggets of wisdom here. LOL
Merry Christmas to you as well. :-)
I don't know what the rules are, if there are any. The last thing we need is more rules---am I right?

Maybe I've been missing all sorts of stuff because I automatically skip what I've written to cut to the chase.

You're a wise man, LongShanks. Don't hide that wisdom at the top of a post, make it the last thing they read and remember!
MikeDennisonRonv69