Gardening

Billy Joe

Sun May 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:15 pm
We go the lazy route. I have a few pots with Beefsteak tomatoes and a few cherry. We love tomatoes and only eat them when they are in season. NJ produces a great tomato.
So true, we go to Jersey in late August and get bushels of Roma tomatoes and bring them home and process them into a puree that we make sauce with throughout the year. It is a full family all day event.
I couldn't grow enough to satisfy this need, so we get the great Jersey tomato.

Ruff, your method sounds great, good luck with the crop.
This post by Billy Joe liked by (total 2):
RuffinogoldBruyere_Royale
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sun May 20, 2018 10:30 pm

The Rutgers tomato is a great New Freakin Jersey tomato . Its one Ive grown ... it rocks
This post by Ruffinogold liked by:
Billy Joe
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sun May 20, 2018 11:02 pm

Billy Joe wrote:
Bruyere_Royale wrote:
We go the lazy route. I have a few pots with Beefsteak tomatoes and a few cherry. We love tomatoes and only eat them when they are in season. NJ produces a great tomato.
So true, we go to Jersey in late August and get bushels of Roma tomatoes and bring them home and process them into a puree that we make sauce with throughout the year. It is a full family all day event.

They'll be good to go !! I didnt take pictures today and I was right next to them . I had to put my ac units in ... during a thunder storm .. lol . Theyre looking real good . I can tell the roots have taken off by the way the plant stalks have thickened and the height of the plants growth . All but one has taken real well . Dont know whats up with the Early Girl plant ... it looked wilted and sad , we'll she how she does in the next couple days . I really want that one to grow because , I've never grown it before , and mostly because if its early .. I'm in the mood for some tomatoes early
I di want to find a Mortgage Lifter plant ... those are bad ass eating and I've had the best luck with them . I just havent seen them around this year

The Mortgage Lifter .. a real tomato , imo

The Early Girl ... real , but with a big seed cavity area, not very large and I'm hoping not too acidic ... maybe not my thing so much , but if early ... I dig it

This post by Ruffinogold liked by:
Billy Joe
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Sun May 20, 2018 11:04 pm

Billy Joe wrote:
Bruyere_Royale wrote:

They'll be good to go !! I didnt take pictures today and I was right next to them . I had to put my ac units in ... during a thunder storm .. lol . Theyre looking real good . I can tell the roots have taken off by the way the plant stalks have thickened and the height of the plants growth . All but one has taken real well . Dont know whats up with the Early Girl plant ... it looked wilted and sad , we'll she how she does in the next couple days . I really want that one to grow because , I've never grown it before , and mostly because if its early .. I'm in the mood for some tomatoes early
I di want to find a Mortgage Lifter plant ... those are bad ass eating and I've had the best luck with them . I just havent seen them around this year

The Early Girl ... real , but with a big seed cavity area and I'm hoping not too acidic ... maybe not my thing so much , but if early ... I dig it

For me , the Mortgage Lifter is :awesome:

Make a tomato sandwich with them and you'll go out of your freakin mind
Wooda
Founding Member

Mon May 21, 2018 7:36 am

Corn has popped!

Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mon May 21, 2018 6:20 pm

Lol .... pop corn !
Whistlebritches

Mon May 21, 2018 7:22 pm

Ruffinogold wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:02 pm
Billy Joe wrote:
Bruyere_Royale wrote:

The Early Girl ... real , but with a big seed cavity area, not very large and I'm hoping not too acidic ... maybe not my thing so much , but if early ... I dig it

I used to grow early girls.......great tomato and usually first ones ripe in under 60 days.The reason I stopped growing them is because by late July early August they'd be 6-8 feet tall.I found it hard to keep that monster plant caged.If I ever build any wide 8' cages I'll plant a few again.Like I said the maters were delicious.......almost as good as my Celebrity's that will always have a spot in my garden.
avid

Mon May 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Ruffinogold wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:04 pm
Billy Joe wrote:
Bruyere_Royale wrote:

The Early Girl ... real , but with a big seed cavity area and I'm hoping not too acidic ... maybe not my thing so much , but if early ... I dig it

For me , the Mortgage Lifter is :awesome:

Make a tomato sandwich with them and you'll go out of your freakin mind
if you're saying those are this season's i call BS...! LOL

I'll be putting in herbs, tomatoes, peppers, beans next weekend. no cukes or anything that spreads all over. Hopefully the rhubarb will be ready soon
avid

Mon May 21, 2018 9:11 pm

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mon May 21, 2018 9:16 pm

The cage things . After I planted the plants , they were about 5 inches off the dirt .. not look at the lovelys .... It's only been a bit . I'll take another picture when they're 2 or 3 get, then 5 or 6 , then 7 and 8 .... and then their peak end die modes . It's justvthe start now ..

A German Johnson ..

A San marzano

Purty !!!