Told the Cable Co. to Kick Rocks

Whistlebritches

sisyphus wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:01 am Had the same cable tv since 2002. Every couple of years they jack my bill up to something ridiculous. I call, ask them what price they'll offer to keep me as a customer, and I get a new 2 yr contract. Have phone and internet with them too. Great service, no issue there. Especially the internet. I live in a rural area, and I am appreciative to get such good 100mbit cable internet where I live.

This year the price they shot me was too high, so I asked what the price would be if I kept the phone, bumped my internet up to 200mbit, and eliminated tv. It was cheap and I said yes let's do that.

I'd already been looking at Youtube TV, Hulu Live TV and Playstation Vue. We watch 90% of our content off streaming services already and have no issues with quality so internet TV had been of interest to me. Wife mentioned 3 channels she wanted, and none of them had all three. Somehow I ended up at DirecTV Now's site, which I had eliminated because they don't have an Android TV app, which is what our TV is. They had all three channels my wife wanted in their basic service. For a 3 month prepay they were offering a free Apple TV 4k. My thought is, our tv does apps already, it's not optimal to buy a box that does apps and use that instead. But $105 for three months of service and a free $180 Apple TV 4k that's ours to keep, jeez that's too good to pass on.

So I ordered it. I played with DirecTV Now via web browser yesterday. So far the only qualms I have are that I have no locals at this time, a couple of the channels are on demand only with no live tv, and the dvr feature is decidedly beta and not ready for prime time. But the package seems like a good value for $35 a month, and I'm sure the service will only get better over time. I also appreciate that I can still log in to all the internet sites for channels and log in via DirecTV Now and stream live sports right from the web sites like I've always done. I'll comment more after we've had it a while. In the meantime, I shaved $70 off our monthly phone/tv/internet bill.
We got rid of Dish Network and jumped on the Directtv Now deal last year.3 months up front,$105,and got a free Apple TV which is the only thing I found more useless than Directtv Now.We hated it......at the time no DVR at all was offered,constantly buffering.Looked at other streaming cable options and decided on PlayStation Vue and stuck with our Roku 4,heads and tails better than Apple TV.We love it,$45 a month for the mid level package,I Thnk its $40 for the basic package.Plenty of sports,movies.......we only get one local channel live(that was the same with Directtv now due to our boonieville location)CBS,the others are on demand so we really miss nothing.Looking at all streaming options none offered all channels we watch.With Vue we only gave up one....History Channel.Vue coupled with Netflix and Prime is still $50 cheaper a month than what we were paying.......and now we're happy.This past weekend I removed that God awful dish from our home in preparation of a complete paint job.Looks so much better without that damn thing.I also ripped all the coax out that was attached under the eaves and dropped in at various points.Win friggin win friggin win in my opinion.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

yeah so far my only beef is the lack of locals, otherwise it's been a total win
I hope our names are touching on the watch list