Ideas on getting destroyed lug nut off tire?

Hitzy

Was trying to put the winter tires on the Mrs car, one nut snapped the aluminum cap off, and the remaining bit of steel was already round...good times.
25 years ago my grandpa helped me with the same situation, and we used a cold chisel and it took a while, but it worked.
2 hours tonight with a cold chisel and it's still on there, it's a tapered self centering nut, frustration has set in and I'm out of ideas... considered shooting it off, but that won't work...will it?
slowroll
Founding Member

Tough situation. Doubtless part of the problem is these days garages put lug nuts on with about 50 yard tons of torque. One suggestion would be to drill it (a miserable job in its own right) then squirt wd40 or the like into it, let it sit a bit and go at again with The chisel. Could also heat it with a propane torch before the chisel work. Sometimes heat breaks corrosion free. If you have an angle grinder you may be able grind 2 flats on it to grab with a wrench, if the nut isn't recessed.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Cappadoc

Heat should loosen it. It expands the hole diameter, but if you apply too liberally it will also expand the lug bolt.
Middle Earth

Large Vice Grip pliars. Lock it tight. Use cheater bar or hammer it.
No way it will not work
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Middle Earth wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:56 pm Large Vice Grip pliars. Lock it tight. Use cheater bar or hammer it.
No way it will not work
I gots to go with you on this answer ME. Been there, and it works.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
xrundog

I have a couple ideas. First, heat the nut with a propane torch. Then try the vise grips or some similar device. There is a tool that mounts to a socket drive that is called a stud puller. As you crank it CCW it gets tighter. Don't know if it would fit over the lug, but it would be ideal. The vise grips can slip and bust your knuckles.

Stud puller is something like this:

A search shows various other tools on that theme. Maybe there is something in the size you need.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I would ask at the NAPA store if the vice grips and cheater bar don't work.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Hitzy

It's completely recessed... nothing will fit in it. Tried the torch but the rims have a plastic "chrome" finish (Dodge Journey with 19" rims) so can't get much heat to it.
Chiseled everything I could get at off, broke a dozen drill bits trying to drill through the last bit of the taper on the nut.
I was about to give up and take it to the garage, then I asked Jesus what he would do...
He said "FFS man, give up and take it to the garage! It ain't coming off!"
So it's at the garage now...and I'm smoking a bowl.
Middle Earth

If it is completely recessed, then that was a tall order.
I used to work on our cars and trucks.
Not so much any more.
For sure not going to pull engine, trasfer case, and transmission, put new engine back in along with rebuilt transfer case and rebuilt trasmisson and new clutch. Seemed like fun at the time.
No Mas
Hitzy

Figured I'd post the outcome.
Garage had to torch it off...which is okay, since I don't have a torch, now I don't feel completely useless lol.