Sometimes You Gotta Say it

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

This post is probably inspired by @Rusticated's circumstances and probable departure from the forum...

I'm not an old timer here...wasn't one on the old PSF, either. I'm just a guy that that enjoys the pipe, and has found this forum to be an enjoyable & pleasant respite. Of course, that's because of the members who come together to make this place the place it is. While I don't know any of you personally outside the forum and likely never will, you've become part of me...because you're part of this. When I read your posts, I chuckle. Sometimes I'm moved emotionally. Sometimes I have "aha!" moments when someone shares a helpful tip or bit of info. Sometimes I order tobaccos to try because your descriptions sound so good!

I dunno...maybe I'm out to lunch...but PSF strikes me as a favorite, comfortable cafe. You know the kind of place; if you sit there long enough, sooner or later everyone you know is going to rotate in and out. Greetings are exchanged, bits of news, gossip, all in an atmosphere of acceptance and brotherly-kindness. When someone stops coming in, you miss'em. You wonder where they're at, and how they're doing. And when you hear that hard times have happened, you feel it somewhere inside...and maybe say a prayer or two.

So, I guess I'm trying to say that, as foolish as it may seem to some, you guys matter. I read your posts, enjoy'em, and when you're not around, you're missed. Sure, I'm just a very ordinary, not very memorable guy usually sitting alone having coffee in that cafe. And maybe the entirety of our interaction is no more than a mutual nod and smile...but that nod and smile matters. To me, anyway.

Thanks for being here. And thanks for allowing me to be here, too.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:47 am I dunno...maybe I'm out to lunch..
Pretty sure this is a prerequisite of membership somewhere in the forum by-laws :D

I agree wholeheartedly. I quickly grew tired of the intellectual knife-fight that always presented itself at other forums. I really just wanted to have a normal conversation with my fellow pipers. Turns out that every thread here seems to progress in exactly that way.. and it means that we've gotten to know each other better due the more natural situation we have going on here.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

It's a nice place, this little corner cafe. I'm glad we can all come and go, visit and have a laugh. Thanks for the post Mike. :king:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

Well said, and those are the reasons that I sought out the forum again.

While I’ve noticed that many members from the old PSF don’t seem to be here, I’m glad that I’ve been able to read posts from some of my favorites from the old forum.

Pipe smoking is how we found each other, but the comraderie is what keeps us all coming back.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Why does it have to be a cafe?
The Troll Whisperer
ncrobb
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:05 pm Why does it have to be a cafe?
Because if our wives thought we were going to a “Gentleman’s Club” we’d never get our phones back. Geez.

Great post, Mike.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Last edited by Tsal on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

ncrobb wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:18 pm
Because if our wives thought we were going to a “Gentleman’s Club” we’d never get our phones back. Geez.

Great post, Mike.
My phone would be in pieces. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

How about a Bowling alley?
The Troll Whisperer
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

MikeDennison wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:47 am This post is probably inspired by @Rusticated's circumstances and probable departure from the forum...

I'm not an old timer here...wasn't one on the old PSF, either. I'm just a guy that that enjoys the pipe, and has found this forum to be an enjoyable & pleasant respite. Of course, that's because of the members who come together to make this place the place it is. While I don't know any of you personally outside the forum and likely never will, you've become part of me...because you're part of this. When I read your posts, I chuckle. Sometimes I'm moved emotionally. Sometimes I have "aha!" moments when someone shares a helpful tip or bit of info. Sometimes I order tobaccos to try because your descriptions sound so good!

I dunno...maybe I'm out to lunch...but PSF strikes me as a favorite, comfortable cafe. You know the kind of place; if you sit there long enough, sooner or later everyone you know is going to rotate in and out. Greetings are exchanged, bits of news, gossip, all in an atmosphere of acceptance and brotherly-kindness. When someone stops coming in, you miss'em. You wonder where they're at, and how they're doing. And when you hear that hard times have happened, you feel it somewhere inside...and maybe say a prayer or two.

So, I guess I'm trying to say that, as foolish as it may seem to some, you guys matter. I read your posts, enjoy'em, and when you're not around, you're missed. Sure, I'm just a very ordinary, not very memorable guy usually sitting alone having coffee in that cafe. And maybe the entirety of our interaction is no more than a mutual nod and smile...but that nod and smile matters. To me, anyway.

Thanks for being here. And thanks for allowing me to be here, too.
well , for an " ordinary .. Not memorable guy " .. That was an incredible post
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.