Hard to explain

Wooda
Founding Member

Jazzy, you are describing that moment on stage when you cease to be an individual soul. Where your body is a conduit of God level energy passing between the audience and eternity.

It's even better with a pipe. Trust me.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
AngraMelo

Wooda wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:14 pm Jazzy, you are describing that moment on stage when you cease to be an individual soul. Where your body is a conduit of God level energy passing between the audience and eternity.

It's even better with a pipe. Trust me.
You described it so much better than me!
I totally feel like I'm not an individual anymore and something else is in control of the whole ensemble.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

I usually get my IT when I’m outside and alone, preferably in the woods with a rifle in my hands. If it’s rainy or cold, it’s even more enjoyable. No words to be spoken because there are no ears to hear them. It’s just me, God, the critters, the plants, Earth, and a rifle (preferably). It only takes an hour or so for the world and it’s problems to fade into obscurity. After that I feel IT again. Deep IT. Every single time.

A pipe can add to the overall ITness, but isn’t a prerequisite. Archery, Hikes, camping, canoeing, gardening, stargazing - they all do it too, but hunting game is the gold standard.
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Wildcrow wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:26 pm I usually get my IT when I’m outside and alone, preferably in the woods with a rifle in my hands. If it’s rainy or cold, it’s even more enjoyable. No words to be spoken because there are no ears to hear them. It’s just me, God, the critters, the plants, Earth, and a rifle (preferably). It only takes an hour or so for the world and it’s problems to fade into obscurity. After that I feel IT again. Deep IT. Every single time.

A pipe can add to the overall ITness, but isn’t a prerequisite. Archery, Hikes, camping, canoeing, gardening, stargazing - they all do it too, but hunting game is the gold standard.
Amen Brother! ;)
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I've experienced IT a couple of times when enjoying a pipe, but only a couple. Mostly other environments inspire that sense of transcendence; worship, music, the written and/or spoken word, nature...even the company of dear friends. It's not often for me...way too much of a cynic...but IT happens. For a moment, all of the world changes...and me with it. And I'm grateful.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

As a musician I know where you're coming from, those are THE moments while performing. I also find those IT moments when I'm in the woods, doesn't matter what I'm doing; hunting, fishing, hiking, whatever: but when it's just me alone with God and nature and everything else just falls away... it's like you just became one with all that is good in the universe.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I dig it . I very much relate . I've been playing a guitar over 40 years this year . At some point , i didnt want to play songs anymore .... just jam . I got a tro together , this sometime in the early 80's , and we improvised during rehearsal and would discover a " piece " . We'd give the piece a name , so we'd remember it , and practise the shit out of it u til we could play it and improvise within it with no issues . We came up with a number of pieces over a 3 year period
Since then , I've never been able to escape improvising . Even these days when I sit in with a band or jam with one for a time , I always improvise the solos . Around these parts, I'm kinda known for being the guy that will back up a band and change their sound
You'll appreciate this ... one night I was backing up some guys and there was a popular band at the time that played the circuit in the audience . For somecreason thst night I was in a rockabilly mode . The band approached me after the gig and asked if I'd be interested in touring with them . I kinda was and the money was ok but this is whatbi told them , pretty much ..... " look , man ... tonight it came out the way it did , tomorrow .. it will come out differently and I make it up as I go along , its just the way I play . They thought that was a little out there
I'm at the point now where I've forgotten everything ive learned , for the most part , and just " play by sound "

Jeez , I just typed s lot ... in a nutshell, it's a freeing experience and as long as I'm still with it and able to play , it's how it will go down

I imagine that if God plays guitar ( and you know he does ) , its a living thing he's playing and it's awesome . Its about being alive at the moment . When i get off course a litle , i use the off notes as steppung notes and just keep moving ... thats my trick for pulling it off , more than anything else

God , I love guitar ! I rarely write about it or post anything about it . But when I read your op ... I'm there and I get it

Smoke a pipe and jam guitar
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:18 pm I dig it . I very much relate . I've been playing a guitar over 40 years this year . At some point , i didnt want to play songs anymore .... just jam . I got a tro together , this sometime in the early 80's , and we improvised during rehearsal and would discover a " piece " . We'd give the piece a name , so we'd remember it , and practise the shit out of it u til we could play it and improvise within it with no issues . We came up with a number of pieces over a 3 year period
Since then , I've never been able to escape improvising . Even these days when I sit in with a band or jam with one for a time , I always improvise the solos . Around these parts, I'm kinda known for being the guy that will back up a band and change their sound
You'll appreciate this ... one night I was backing up some guys and there was a popular band at the time that played the circuit in the audience . For somecreason thst night I was in a rockabilly mode . The band approached me after the gig and asked if I'd be interested in touring with them . I kinda was and the money was ok but this is whatbi told them , pretty much ..... " look , man ... tonight it came out the way it did , tomorrow .. it will come out differently and I make it up as I go along , its just the way I play . They thought that was a little out there
I'm at the point now where I've forgotten everything ive learned , for the most part , and just " play by sound "

Jeez , I just typed s lot ... in a nutshell, it's a freeing experience and as long as I'm still with it and able to play , it's how it will go down

I imagine that if God plays guitar ( and you know he does ) , its a living thing he's playing and it's awesome . Its about being alive at the moment . When i get off course a litle , i used off notes as steppung notes and just keep moving ... thats my trick for pulling it off , more than anything else

God , I love guitar ! I rarely write about it or post anything about it . But when I read your op ... I'm there and I get it

Smoke a pipe and jam guitar
Stevie Ray Vaughan in an interview said that he finds that when he starts thinking about the correct ways of doing things, where he should be on the neck, etc.. that is when he gets into the most trouble.. but when he plays from the heart and not the mind, it just flows out of him. You are listening to his emotions conveyed through sound. What you said kind of reminds me of that interview.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt