Pipe smoking AmatEur Radio!

CoreyR
Founding Member

Ok, I checked and I do not believe we have a "pipe smoking amateur radio" thread on here yet.
How many pipe smoking Hams have got out there? Or am I the only one? :clap:

KM4COF
kb7get
Founding Member

I hope to be one when I grow up.
John

I'm one. I went through a period where I owned a lot of old AM transmitters and receivers, but now only have a TS-590 which I love. Just a 40M dipole and 6M j pole up now.

KJ7USA
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I'm not a HAM but I would have liked to have been. My late FIL was one, we spent some time in his "ham shack", me listening, him doing what he did. After he passed the MIL sold off his equipment and the antennas were down before I knew what happened!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
CoreyR
Founding Member

I am just a "technician" right now but am studying to take the general test soon. Of course, If I could manage to keep my mobile radio, or even my base radios, 2 meter/70 cm, I would feel FAR more comfortable!
The mobile is an antennae problem. Got a new one on order. New SWR/power meter also on order. The base? It was working fine until I got a fancy new programing cable/software and tried to reprogram the radio! Now I cannot hit a single repeater!!! :( Sigh. Guess I know what my weekend project is going to be.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

I know [mention]Lucky Duck[/mention] used to HAM it up in Illinois area. Hadn't seen him on since he posted on the new member board, though.

I looked into taking classes on HAM radio when I lived in Cookeville, TN. They offered free testing locally. Honestly, the electronics part is the only thing that throws me off. I know I could learn it, I just didn't do well understanding electronics in high school... most likely due to my greater interest in girls and beer at the time.

Now that I live in Bowling Green, I'd still love to HAM it up. Sadly, I'm in an uppity neighborhood that would frown on a huge antenna in the back yard. I'm close enough to I-65, however, I could probably just plug in the ol' CB I have and reach passers-by with a vehicle antenna.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
CoreyR
Founding Member

Longshanks wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:57 am I know @LuckyDuck used to HAM it up in Illinois area. Hadn't seen him on since he posted on the new member board, though.

I looked into taking classes on HAM radio when I lived in Cookeville, TN. They offered free testing locally. Honestly, the electronics part is the only thing that throws me off. I know I could learn it, I just didn't do well understanding electronics in high school... most likely due to my greater interest in girls and beer at the time.

Now that I live in Bowling Green, I'd still love to HAM it up. Sadly, I'm in an uppity neighborhood that would frown on a huge antenna in the back yard. I'm close enough to I-65, however, I could probably just plug in the ol' CB I have and reach passers-by with a vehicle antenna.
I do not find too much activity on 11 meter (CB) anymore. At least, any civilized activity. As for the electronics questions, I am lousy at that too. The "technician" test is 35 questions and you just have to get a 75% to pass. All of the possible questions and correct answers are available, for study, online. plus, I found, that the predominant, correct answer, is "C." I am NOT kidding. I am working my way through the "general" class study guide right now and it seems to be the same way.
I studied by taking the online practice tests for two months. I then went to take the test. I zipped through it, answering all of the easy questions and ignoring the "electrical" ones. I then did the math ones, on the calculator, which I was allowed to bring. I then answered EVERY electrical question with a "C."
Passed.
Of course, NOW, I am actually having to, ya know, LEARN some of that electrical crap. To, ya know, keep my radios running and all....details details details....
Oh, antennas...you would be amazed what some guys can stick up a tree or in their attic!!
CoreyR
Founding Member

Sooooo, to keep this thread alive....
I am in the process of moving my station into the house. I did have it out in my workshop but we have a study, in the back of the house, which does not get used much. So, I decided to move it in there. Right now the study is also my pipe tobacco cellar and "boozery." LOL The closet in there is divided between the two with shelves on each side. Otherwise it has a lazyboy and lots of bookshelves and a gun cabinet.
I have, thus far, installed one 2 meter, Yaesu FT 2900R with power supply. However, I am getting a LOT of interference on it. I am going to have to start killing circuit breakers until I figure out what is causing it. Try to isolate the culprit. I will be moving in a 440/70cm set in the coming days.
I am hoping to pick up 6 and 10 meter sets at the Raleigh show, in a few weeks. I just cleaned up my 30 foot mast, got rid of some unused junk up there to make room for a couple of new antennas. I really want to move into HF but, I think I need to get the basics nailed down first.
I also need to pick up some good coax at the Raleigh show. LMR400 or similar. I have RG8 running out to the mast right now and I am just losing too much signal on that 130 foot run. I have the feeling that the coax alone is going to break the bank!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

They got this thing called the internet now .. Lol ... only kidding . Yeah , Hamm is killer !! I think every town should be required to have at least two operators
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
CoreyR
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:43 am They got this thing called the internet now .. Lol ... only kidding . Yeah , Hamm is killer !! I think every town should be required to have at least two operators
Hmmm, in my home town that would mean that both my wife and I would have to be licensed!!!
LOL, it is not quite that bad ....but close.