Question for glasses wearers

sisyphus
Person of Interest

Ok I am wearing my very first pair of real eyeglasses after leaning on readers the last 7 or so years. I've got progressive lenses, because my eyes finally need a minor distance correction. I was really looking forward to seeing better than I had for a while, and looking forward to ditching inconvenient readers.

I hate them. I know I need to give them a chance before giving up on them, but to me they seem like a bad compromise for both distance and reading. The field for reading is miniscule and the clarity is greatly affected by angle, and in distance I am very happy with how I see with them, except for all the blurriness caused by the progression if I tilt my head off the optimal angle for what I'm looking at.

So I am happy with my new prescription, but I also want to put these new progressive lenses in the drawer and order one set of glasses for near and another for distance. Now I'm back to the inconvenient part of it, because I really wanted to put glasses on and be done, and instead I'd be going from one inconvenient pair to two of them. But for perfect vision it might be worth the inconvenience.

I'm going to wear these progressives 2-3 days before I commit to hating them and order a near and a distance pair, but in the meantime I figured there'd be some experience here on this subject. Thanks guys.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I couldn't do progressive lenses no matter how hard I tried to adjust. I don't know if I am just particularly picky about distortions in my field of view or what, but I just felt hindered by them. My far sight was interrupted, and so was my near.. so I eventually just gave up. Also, driving with progressives made me wanna hurl.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I'm a two pair kinda guy as well.
ever forward
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I have two pair too.. in my opinion, the all in one lenses just do not work if your not sitting still.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I have the progressives and they have never given me a problem. There is a slight tendency with users new to the progressives to move the head up and down slightly to find the "sweet spot." I caught myself doing it when I first got them. I have seen other people doing it.

They have seemed to work pretty well for me.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Maynard

It took me about two weeks but now they do very well , I just got another pair and no issues.
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Stop thinking about them . . .

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Booooo, hiissssssssss.... I hate glasses... need them, wear them, hate them. :(

I've only had ONE pair in my lifetime that actually worked properly, meaning both lenses were correct and gave me great sight in both eyes at the same time. Sadly, it was a pair of the ugliest Army-issue birth control glasses you've ever seen. I hated wearing them because they were so dang ugly. And I have yet to find an optometrist who can send a prescription to the manufacturer that returns a pair of glasses in which BOTH lenses work properly. I don't know if it's the optometrist' prescription or the manufacturer, but one of the lenses is always off... usually distance related, but sometimes just plain out of focus.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Middle Earth

I like wearing glasses
Countless times they have saved me from eye injury
I tried progessive lens not for me
I am near sighted
So I wear them when I need distance
Otherwise
I take them off for reading and close up stuff or meetings
I can see more than enough across a table at a business meeting
Everyone will have different desires and needs
I had way above average vision until I was in my mid 20s
Way above average
I came to terms with my long vision glasses 30 years ago
I like having the protection
Zenni Optical has been a blessing for me
Do not order progressives from Zenni
Do that in person locally
For single vesion, Thank God for Zenni Optical
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Longshanks wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:06 am Booooo, hiissssssssss.... I hate glasses... need them, wear them, hate them. :(

I've only had ONE pair in my lifetime that actually worked properly, meaning both lenses were correct and gave me great sight in both eyes at the same time. Sadly, it was a pair of the ugliest Army-issue birth control glasses you've ever seen. I hated wearing them because they were so dang ugly. And I have yet to find an optometrist who can send a prescription to the manufacturer that returns a pair of glasses in which BOTH lenses work properly. I don't know if it's the optometrist' prescription or the manufacturer, but one of the lenses is always off... usually distance related, but sometimes just plain out of focus.
Ha! I totally forgot about BCGs.. lol!
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt