Henry McKenna Straight Bourbon Whiskey . First impression

Ronv69
Founding Member

mrpipster wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:48 pm Oh. So your just not really being of any help at all. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.
Maybe I misunderstood, but at least I stopped you from adding syrup to bourbon.
Bourbon cocktails like an old fashioned will achieve the desired result.
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Pip ... I have a mixed drink that is off the chart . I think its a drink that pre dates the 1920's ... its one of my favorit things to drink and ni doubt my favorite mixed drink of all time , bar none ... the Jack Rose .

Its contents are thus

The simple way ....... 2 parts Applejack, 1 part Lemon juice, 1/2 part Grenadine or ...

The traditional way ..
2 oz. Laird’s Applejack
3/4 oz. Fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz. Pomegranate grenadine

Grenadine is a syrup and its frakin awesome . Apple Jack is what country jersey folks drink/drank .

Now , theres apple brandy which is super awesome . Apple jack is " thinned down " apple brandy . So , whichever you get will work . Apple Jack is cheaper and a bit mor common , I think .

Whatever the hell ya do , dont use a freakin Lime instead of a lemon !!! I’ve seen n the internet where some folk say they use a Lime ... they are mutants , half human half demonic or worse ... pay them no attention , seriously ... the drink is with a Lemon and its a huge difference
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Mrpipster, I have been reading your posts on the old forum, and one thing is clear. You will never like straight bourbon whiskey, no matter how much you want to. It's OK. A lot of people don't like it. There's tons of drinks out there. Ouzo is a favorite of mine, as is Lemoncello.
I think your next best bet would be a rested tequila, or some gold rum. Good luck.
God and Texas!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

That Apple Jack cocktail sounds good John!!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ronv69
Founding Member

I had a Sazerac cocktail for the first time a couple of months ago. When I finally finish my back porch, I am going to have a dedicated Sazerac mixing station.
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Wildcat wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:45 am That Apple Jack cocktail sounds good John!!
My friend , it is fabulous :)
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ok , so I know I whined about being sick for a couple three nights ... man , I was a wreck and could not breath through my nose no matter what .. major head pressure , intense stuff man . One night I had one shot ... next morning felt like hell stlll . The following night I had two shots .. plus a little shot [ that was last night ] .. today , Im good to go . Not 100 percent but went to work again and fel much much better ...... Henry McKenna ... cures what ails ya
MarineDad
Founding Member

Was in my local store today picking up some EW Black. They had the Henry McKenna 10 yr. in stock. Will go back tomorrow to pick up some since TN now allows liquor sales on Sunday.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Man , I wish the shops that arent even near me sold on Sundays . Heres what usually happens .. saturday is chock of of stuff to do , like today was . By the time I chill out , I'm not wanting to do the drive .... like I dont want to right now ..... but , now is the time to make a run . Yeah , that HM 10 year is one I’m wanting and I’m sitting here balancing whether to make the trip
Wildcat
Codger in Training

I've been staying away from beer and the hard stuff, but the Mayor's corrupting influence got me curious. I needed to pick up some red wine anyway, as we've been having it with dinner. So anyway, I ran into about the best liquor store we have here but couldn't find any Henry McKenna. That said, a bottle of LTD did find it's way home with me. You're a bad man Mr Mayor, a bad man indeed.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom