Evan Williams Black

Whistlebritches

Ok after sippin this all week I thought I'd share my observations.First off I drank this years ago when it wore a 7 year old age statement.It has definitely changed.......not for better nor worse.......just different than I remember it.I get the same flavors as I do in the Bottled in Bond 100 proof just in a lighter profile.The only thing missing is the rye........it's there but I only only get it on the finish which is quite short compared to the 100 proof.EWB is a very good sippin whisky that I would highly recommend to new bourbon enthusiast.I think it's perfect for those just starting experience the world of bourbon.........caramel,tobacco and citrus are the dominant flavors to me.EWB is soft on the palate which makes flavors more easily identifiable.For the more experienced bourbon guy this may be a little hum drum but good non the less.I intend to keep a handle around because it's priced right...........and I do not always have time to really sit down and enjoy a more complex whisky.All that being said I'd stack this up against Jack Daniels Old #8 and Jim Beam White anyday.In it's price range you'll find few of this quality......One that comes to mind is Very Old Barton,I'd say these are as good as it gets for their value.
Whistlebritches

Just poured me a couple fingers with a pipe filled with McLellands 2010.Very nice together........neither overpowering while gently complimenting each other.I love baccy and whisky.
crazyivan779

Whistlebritches wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:28 pm Ok after sippin this all week I thought I'd share my observations.First off I drank this years ago when it wore a 7 year old age statement.It has definitely changed.......not for better nor worse.......just different than I remember it.I get the same flavors as I do in the Bottled in Bond 100 proof just in a lighter profile.The only thing missing is the rye........it's there but I only only get it on the finish which is quite short compared to the 100 proof.EWB is a very good sippin whisky that I would highly recommend to new bourbon enthusiast.I think it's perfect for those just starting experience the world of bourbon.........caramel,tobacco and citrus are the dominant flavors to me.EWB is soft on the palate which makes flavors more easily identifiable.For the more experienced bourbon guy this may be a little hum drum but good non the less.I intend to keep a handle around because it's priced right...........and I do not always have time to really sit down and enjoy a more complex whisky.All that being said I'd stack this up against Jack Daniels Old #8 and Jim Beam White anyday.In it's price range you'll find few of this quality......One that comes to mind is Very Old Barton,I'd say these are as good as it gets for their value.
Looks like I found my next purchase when I'm done with my Teachers.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I agree. Black label isn't the best, isn't the worst. But it's really good and reliable. I always keep a handle in the house for a daily sipper
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Theres something about it that is just very easy to drink the stuff . If there is a go to bourbon for me , its it ! In my mind its what " bourbon is " ... its like MB GE ... simple and damn good and easy . The Henry McKenna 80 proof is in the same realm but " clean " ... uncomplicated and good with no wow factor to distract .. and I mean that in a good way , if that makes sense
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.