Fighting Cock Bourbon

Whistlebritches

Yea I know..........funny name.This is Heaven Hill's answer to Wild Turkey 101.At 103 proof you'd think FC would be hot........but not at all.I get the heat on the nose but my palate says smooth as a prom queens thighs.Lots of caramel and vanilla with some oak on the finish.In my humble opinion HH has a real winner,under $20,I paid $18 for a 750 ml,better than Turkey 101......yea a winner.I highly recommend The Cock.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Agreed! The cock is good!
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

With Gender fluidity these days , the idea of smooth as a prom queens thighs could be quite sickening , but I get where youre coming from . Heck , its from Heaven Hill .. I dint think they could make a bad bourbon . Ive seen it on the shelf but have yet pulled the trigger on it .... [mention]Mr Beardsley[/mention] .... how does it hang with Virgin 101 ?
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Whistlebritches

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:46 pm With Gender fluidity these days , the idea of smooth as a prom queens thighs could be quite sickening , but I get where youre coming from . Heck , its from Haven Hill .. I dint think they could make a bad bourbon . Ive seen it on the shelf but have yet pulled the trigger on it .... @Mr Beardsley .... how does it hang with Virgin 101 ?
If I could find The Virgin.........I would do comparison testing.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:46 pm With Gender fluidity these days , the idea of smooth as a prom queens thighs could be quite sickening , but I get where youre coming from . Heck , its from Haven Hill .. I dint think they could make a bad bourbon . Ive seen it on the shelf but have yet pulled the trigger on it .... @Mr Beardsley .... how does it hang with Virgin 101 ?
Where virgin has an overall sort of charcoal filtered / barrel sweetness the fighting cock has more individual sweet nuances here & there. At least that's how I remember it. It's been quite a long time since I've had it
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Picked up a fresh bottle of The Cock this evening. Now I will be able to do a better comparison of the two. While I don't have a full on leather tongue, don't expect any ability to pick up every nuance and put it into words either.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

OK so I've now tried both Fighting Cock and Virgin in succession (before I started smoking this bowl of sextant and screw my tasters with latakia) For my tastebuds and money you really can't go wrong with either. Drinking both neat at room temperature if it matters to you

The major difference for me is that virgin has an overall sweet tone that leaves a sweet after taste for a while. The fighting cock has a little more nuance. My palette gives me the oak-y leathery vanilla up front, then I get the burst of caramel sweet, and then it all finishes together. The sweetness doesn't linger as long. Both are smooth as silk, play well above the price point, have the same amount of heat.
Whistlebritches

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:18 am OK so I've now tried both Fighting Cock and Virgin in succession (before I started smoking this bowl of sextant and screw my tasters with latakia) For my tastebuds and money you really can't go wrong with either. Drinking both neat at room temperature if it matters to you

The major difference for me is that virgin has an overall sweet tone that leaves a sweet after taste for a while. The fighting cock has a little more nuance. My palette gives me the oak-y leathery vanilla up front, then I get the burst of caramel sweet, and then it all finishes together. The sweetness doesn't linger as long. Both are smooth as silk, play well above the price point, have the same amount of heat.
I'm going to have to find me a Virgin.......I mean some Virgin..........er uh you know what I mean.
Whalehead King

I've got just the cigar to go with this bourbon. https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/f ... s/1467030/.

I haven't tried them.
Whistlebritches

Whalehead King wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:41 pm Image

I've got just the cigar to go with this bourbon. https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/f ... s/1467030/.

I haven't tried them.
From what I've heard they're not getting the rave reviews the FC bourbon is..........and that's the nicest way I know how to say that.