Let us talk Scotch

oubobcat

Laphroig all the way. I have been to the distillery. It is an adventure if you want to try it. A ferry ride from the mainland, then a tour and tasting and finally planting your country flag in their peat bog.
Charming little island, Islay, with B&Bs and very nice restaurants.
I find Laphroig a nice accompaniment to a pipe with Father Dempsey...peaty Scotch and smokey Latakia!

OUB
Big fan for Kramer's Father Dempsey
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

Lagavulin 16 is truly the water of life...sadly it has like many things that I enjoy, become terribly expensive.
unregistered1

I do not indulge in alcohol anymore but when I did, I sure did have a preference for Balvenie 12 Years Single Malt when it came to scotch. Bushmills 10 Years Single Malt was a close second.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
racinghoss

I'm a whiskey/whisky enthusiast. Actually getting a whiskey education and tasting company off the ground. There are professional certifications for bourbon, etc. It's fun.

I prefer Islay Scotch. Laphroaig, Ardbeg, and Lagavulin, although Lagavulin is overpriced, imo. Bowmore, Talisker, and Oban are less peated, and not Islay.

Don't disregard blended scotch. Monkey Shoulder is pretty good.

I can talk hooch all day long.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Lord Guyrox wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:44 pm I do not indulge in alcohol anymore but when I did, I sure did have a preference for Balvenie 12 Years Single Malt when it came to scotch. Bushmills 10 Years Single Malt was a close second.
I'll +1 on Bushmills.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
racinghoss

Bushmills is Irish whiskey.

If you like Irish whiskey and want to dabble in scotch whisky, look for lowland scotch. It is lighter bodied and similar. Auchentoshan is a popular brand that is fairly easy to find, and is triple distilled like Irish whiskey.
Whistlebritches

Longshanks wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:46 am
JBRiner wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 pm I dipped my toes into scotch today. I have a bottle of Monkey Shoulder that I am in love with. I still prefer Bourbon, but the world of scotch is really big and interesting. I’ll be expanding my whiskey cabinet that’s for sure.
I looked at Monkey Shoulder last night, but then stumbled upon a bottle of John Barr. I've had the toughest time finding John Barr since about 2001. I enjoyed it regularly down in Georgia, mainly because of great flavor and the price point, but hadn't seen it much since then. It was the only bottle they had, so I snapped it up quick.

Now I do like peaty scotch, but John Barr (to me) tastes less peaty and more smooth than the other Scotch flavors I normally enjoy. It might be something bourbon drinkers could get their toes wet with.
I generally go for J&B and Dewars. John Barr is what I might call a "dessert" scotch. Tastes great in coffee, too. 8-)
I have to ask.......why would anyone living in the land of God's nectar even bother with Scotch?You have access to juice most of us only dream of.Your bottom shelf,Heaven Hill BIB 6YO for instance is better than most bourbons I pay $30+ for here in Texas.Last time I shopped Kentucky it was readily available at $12 a fifth.I found Weller 12,Ol Rip Van Winkle and lots of KY only stuff readily available and priced at or below MSRP.
racinghoss

I love bourbon, alot. But I also live scotch, American single malts, Japanese single malts, Irish whiskey, etc.

Your comment is like saying that it's silly to smoke latakia or VaPers because aros are good.
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Whistlebritches wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:11 pm
JBRiner wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 pm I dipped my toes into scotch today. I have a bottle of Monkey Shoulder that I am in love with. I still prefer Bourbon, but the world of scotch is really big and interesting. I’ll be expanding my whiskey cabinet that’s for sure.
I looked at Monkey Shoulder last night, but then stumbled upon a bottle of John Barr. I've had the toughest time finding John Barr since about 2001. I enjoyed it regularly down in Georgia, mainly because of great flavor and the price point, but hadn't seen it much since then. It was the only bottle they had, so I snapped it up quick.

Now I do like peaty scotch, but John Barr (to me) tastes less peaty and more smooth than the other Scotch flavors I normally enjoy. It might be something bourbon drinkers could get their toes wet with.
I generally go for J&B and Dewars. John Barr is what I might call a "dessert" scotch. Tastes great in coffee, too. 8-)
I have to ask.......why would anyone living in the land of God's nectar even bother with Scotch?You have access to juice most of us only dream of.Your bottom shelf,Heaven Hill BIB 6YO for instance is better than most bourbons I pay $30+ for here in Texas.Last time I shopped Kentucky it was readily available at $12 a fifth.I found Weller 12,Ol Rip Van Winkle and lots of KY only stuff readily available and priced at or below MSRP.
I blame it on taste buds and experience. My dad always drank stuff like Yukon Jack, Lord Calvert (with honey mixed in), Dandelion Wine (that he made), beer and blackberry brandy. When I was in high school, everyone mixed whiskey with Coke or Pepsi and it tasted like sh*t. From the bottle, whiskey always smelled great but tasted like straight alcohol - likely because I was a beer drinker at the time, and possibly because kids were getting 80 proof for a quick drunk. I only started bothering with Scotch in college after reading about it, and prior to stepping foot in Whiskey Country, though I remained mainly a beer and wine drinker the entire time.

That being said, as I read and experience new things, I'm gaining more interest in whiskey. It's not because I'd know a good whiskey if it bit me in the a$$, but because exploring whiskey is so interesting. Thanks for the referral to Heaven Hill, Weller and Rip... hadn't tried those, yet. I've tried several brands out of curiosity, but only really liked Evan Williams (Green Label) and Early Times so far. Old Crow was absolutely not a favorite. LOL :mrgreen:
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Whistlebritches

Longshanks wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:46 am
Whistlebritches wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:11 pm

I blame it on taste buds and experience. My dad always drank stuff like Yukon Jack, Lord Calvert (with honey mixed in), Dandelion Wine (that he made), beer and blackberry brandy. When I was in high school, everyone mixed whiskey with Coke or Pepsi and it tasted like sh*t. From the bottle, whiskey always smelled great but tasted like straight alcohol - likely because I was a beer drinker at the time, and possibly because kids were getting 80 proof for a quick drunk. I only started bothering with Scotch in college after reading about it, and prior to stepping foot in Whiskey Country, though I remained mainly a beer and wine drinker the entire time.

That being said, as I read and experience new things, I'm gaining more interest in whiskey. It's not because I'd know a good whiskey if it bit me in the a$$, but because exploring whiskey is so interesting. Thanks for the referral to Heaven Hill, Weller and Rip... hadn't tried those, yet. I've tried several brands out of curiosity, but only really liked Evan Williams (Green Label) and Early Times so far. Old Crow was absolutely not a favorite. LOL :mrgreen:
Don't stop there........the world of rye is also quite interesting.I'm trying a new product tonite.....Old Forester 100 proof rye.Damn fine rye thats priced right.The high dollar (Hollywood Rye's as I call them)have not impressed.Sazerac is the rye by which all others should be judged,this OF 100 proof is making the grade and then some.

Make this whiskey ride of yours an enjoyable whiskey journey.Try em all.......I tried,found what I liked and these days I stay in my own little ballpark.Have fun