Let us talk Scotch

Jwb68

And it’s cheap. Like 29-39 bucks.
Jlando19

Jwb68 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:38 pm The 16 is smoky and peaty. But rich also. I like it better than Laphroig. If you like Islay scotch and are ever in a Trader Joe’s that sells liquor they sell a house single malt called Finnlagen. They are quiet about where they get it but taste like really young Lagavulin to me.
Noted. Now I have a reason to go into the Trader Joe's here!

Edit: I live in Texas. They don't sell liquor in grocery stores here......
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Puff nstuff

Enjoying a nightcap of Glenmorangie Astar, 2017 edition.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Now Iver House Green Plaid is a scotch!
The Troll Whisperer
Pepik

Puff nstuff wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:43 am Enjoying a nightcap of Glenmorangie Astar, 2017 edition.
If you're a fan of the Astar, give the Spios a try. In a side-by-side (snagged bottles of each from a liquor store going out of business), I found the Spios to be a richer, "smoof"er experience.

For those with an appreciation of Lats or Lat-bombs - Lagavulin is the nature Whisky for you IMHO.

If you can, the Distiller's Edition is well worth the cash you'll put down for it.

If you can find it - snag the Offerman Edition to the 11 year finished in Guinness kegs - layered, complex, peaty with a nice spice finish.
Puff nstuff

@Pepik , thanks! I initially found Astar to be somewhat off-putting due to the strength of its flavor profile, but cutting with a bit of water really helps to smooth it out and open it up.
Yes, I was a fan of the original Lagavulin for years; Oban and Talisker and Laphroaig as well. But now I find I gravitate much more toward bourbons and Tennessee whiskies. I love a good Irish, too.
Pepik

I agree on the Astar - rather dangerous to the palate.

On the Irish front, consider trying The Tyrconnell Single Malt Irish Whiskey based on what you're gravitating to now. If you like the "base" whiskey, the older Oloroso & Moscatel Cask Finished can be a delightful, layered treat.

I understand the shift to Bourbons and Kentucky whiskeys - sometimes the palate wants what the palate wants.
Puff nstuff

@Pepik , thanks for all the recommendations! I will definitely make note. The guy who bought me the Astar is a big high-dollar Scotch fan. I gifted him a bottle of McKenna 10 year a couple years ago before it went off the hook in popularity, and was floored by it. Keeps buying it now even after it's tripled in price! 😄 Good kind of friend to have! 😉
Puff nstuff

A little Chivas on ice is doing me just fine right now.
Riff89

Vat 69… mic drop. I no longer drink but when I was way underage me and a buddy put a bottle of that stuff down YIKES!