Bogus Craft Whiskey

arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Ran across this article today. It seems many purveyors of craft whiskey don't do any distilling. A commercial distillery in Indiana, MGP, makes a lot of it, especially the ryes. My current go to, Bulleit, is made there. As is Templeton, George Dickle, Redemption, and a host of others. In most instances, it's the exact same whiskey. The "craft distiller" merely fills bottles and slaps on their labels. All told, MGP's whiskey is sold by about 50 different brands.

"Templeton Rye, has built its successful brand on being a product of Templeton, Iowa. They tell an elaborate story about how their recipe was used by the owner’s family to make illicit whiskey in Iowa during Prohibition, and how that rye had become Al Capone’s favorite hooch. They publish a description of their “Production Process” so detailed it lists the temperature (124 degrees) at which the “rye grain is added to the mash tank.” They brag that they focus their “complete attention on executing each step of the distillation process.” And yet, for all this detail, the official “Production Process” somehow fails to mention that Templeton doesn’t actually do the distilling."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/your-craf ... in-indiana

Now the search is on to determine if any sells my favored rye cheaper than Bulleit.
ever forward
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

arturo7 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:34 pm Ran across this article today. It seems many purveyors of craft whiskey don't do any distilling. A commercial distillery in Indiana, MGP, makes a lot of it, especially the ryes. My current go to, Bulleit, is made there. As is Templeton, George Dickle, Redemption, and a host of others. In most instances, it's the exact same whiskey. The "craft distiller" merely fills bottles and slaps on their labels. All told, MGP's whiskey is sold by about 50 different brands.

"Templeton Rye, has built its successful brand on being a product of Templeton, Iowa. They tell an elaborate story about how their recipe was used by the owner’s family to make illicit whiskey in Iowa during Prohibition, and how that rye had become Al Capone’s favorite hooch. They publish a description of their “Production Process” so detailed it lists the temperature (124 degrees) at which the “rye grain is added to the mash tank.” They brag that they focus their “complete attention on executing each step of the distillation process.” And yet, for all this detail, the official “Production Process” somehow fails to mention that Templeton doesn’t actually do the distilling."

Now the search is on to determine if any sells my favored rye cheaper than Bulleit.
School House Rock used to say :
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Whistlebritches

arturo7 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:34 pm Ran across this article today. It seems many purveyors of craft whiskey don't do any distilling. A commercial distillery in Indiana, MGP, makes a lot of it, especially the ryes. My current go to, Bulleit, is made there. As is Templeton, George Dickle, Redemption, and a host of others. In most instances, it's the exact same whiskey. The "craft distiller" merely fills bottles and slaps on their labels. All told, MGP's whiskey is sold by about 50 different brands.

That's exactly why I don't chase the new stuff.I stick with what I know........Brown & Forman,Heaven Hill,Four Roses and even Jim Beam.......none of these have ever let me down,some are just better than others.Sipping Old Forester Signature 100 proof as we speak.
Wooda
Founding Member

I know for a fact my local distillers make their own because:
1. I seen it come straight off the shotgun.
2. They barely made a heads cut, and it shows in the taste.
3. Their white dog tasted like wet cardboard.
4. This crap would get dumped down the drain by any self respecting contract distiller.

They're green, but honest.
They're also not hipsters.

Now vinyards, they all truck in juice from Napa. Vermont's terroir is granite, schist and cow sh!t.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Wooda wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:02 pm I know for a fact my local distillers make their own because:
4. This crap would get dumped down the drain by any self respecting contract distiller.

Now vinyards, they all truck in juice from Napa. Vermont's terroir is granite, schist and cow sh!t.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Yeah. There's a LOT of people who sell / distribute but don't know the first thing about the actual distillation. Google is my friend when it comes to what swill I drink & knowing it's real pedigree
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Yeah , that joint in Indiana has been at it a while . Ive had a brand that was sourced from there and then they added their own water to it from Colorado .. its called tin cup whisky and its pretty good stuff . I'm a Heaven Hill and Beam distillery guy all the way and it didnt happen because of a love for them or anything . It happened because Iv tried different bourbons and the ones I really dig happen to be from them l . I guess its a flavor profile thing , kinda the way I dig Mac Baren and certain other blending houses Products .
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Wooda wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:02 pm
There are wineries all over California, ye even in Napa, that neither grow, harvest, nor ever crush grapes.
ever forward
Wooda
Founding Member

Friends, I was (partly) wrong.
One of my locals is specifically mentioned in the article.
In their defense, smuggs notch distillers does mention that it sources the "finest distillates"for their bourbon in the first line of the product description.
Also, they are not the still referenced in my roast.
Additionally, their vodka and gin are tolerable, so they get a pass.
I'm still hungry for a white dog that's half as good as my "friend of a friend's"
Wooda wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:02 pm I know for a fact my local distillers make their own because:

Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I'm very much looking forward to the demise of the bourbon/whiskey popularity boom . It was better when things were cheaper , easy to get and the shelves weren't over filled with shit you never heard of while the stuff you were looking for isn't around
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.