Latest Pipe Purchase 2020

Thelonious monkfish

MikeDennison wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:44 pm
I don't know what that is, doubtful the factory had a hand in it. Only known Grabow to do little tobacco leaves over blemishes on the bowl and daisy chain style on rims.

This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 7):
Fr_TomMiddle EarthCitizen BBruyere_RoyalesimplepipesMikeDennisonMaynard
Bruyere_Royale
Jersey Devil

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:40 pm
MikeDennison wrote:
I don't know what that is, doubtful the factory had a hand in it. Only known Grabow to do little tobacco leaves over blemishes on the bowl and daisy chain style on rims.

Thatsa tobacco leaf too.
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 5):
Citizen BFr_TomsimplepipesMikeDennisonThelonious monkfish
.................🎳
Citizen B

MikeDennison wrote:

That would have to be a very tiny blemish to begin with to hide it one of those little lines.

Dr. Grabow isn't as notorious for rough rustification as Medico, but they still are more likely to use a Dremel tool to buff out a blemish in the briar than a scrimshaw needle.

I think this is a doctored photo. The pipe even has two other leaves etched on its other side. Nothing against Dr. Grabow's craftsmen, but, I don't see this being a part of the line, without even an up-charge. THey're charging $35.84, right mid-range of the Grabow price range of between 30-40 dollars/pipe.

"Ah, the Savoy. It's a brilliant thinking persons pipe that commands the respect of American smokers all over the country. Its smooth curved shank and vulcanite stem allow it to be held and smoked thoughtfully as well as comfortably. It's light weight, so it is easy to hold in your teeth, and smokes cool."

There's no mention of this special carving in the description. Why is this photo on TobaccoPipes.com? Bait and switch?

Does anyone own a Savoy to testify that it really does have leaves carved into it? It's a handsome pipe. Of course it is, it's a Grabow.
This post by Citizen B liked by (total 4):
Fr_TomsimplepipesMikeDennisonThelonious monkfish
Thelonious monkfish

Citizen B wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:30 pm
MikeDennison wrote:

That would have to be a very tiny blemish to begin with to hide it one of those little lines.

Dr. Grabow isn't as notorious for rough rustification as Medico, but they still are more likely to use a Dremel tool to buff out a blemish in the briar than a scrimshaw needle.

I think this is a doctored photo. The pipe even has two other leaves etched on its other side. Nothing against Dr. Grabow's craftsmen, but, I don't see this being a part of the line, without even an up-charge. THey're charging $35.84, right mid-range of the Grabow price range of between 30-40 dollars/pipe.

"Ah, the Savoy. It's a brilliant thinking persons pipe that commands the respect of American smokers all over the country. Its smooth curved shank and vulcanite stem allow it to be held and smoked thoughtfully as well as comfortably. It's light weight, so it is easy to hold in your teeth, and smokes cool."

There's no mention of this special carving in the description. Why is this photo on TobaccoPipes.com? Bait and switch?

Does anyone own a Savoy to testify that it really does have leaves carved into it? It's a handsome pipe. Of course it is, it's a Grabow.
It's not part of any line. They do this on random pipes to obfuscate blemishes/washed out grain/defects etc. No upcharge, just one of their ways to cover defects. Here's a quote from Dave Whitney from one his factory tours

"I watched a woman carve tobacco leaves with a Dremel-type tool to remove defects in the briar. She was so fast she could carve a leaf in a millisecond."
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 6):
Middle EarthFr_TomMikeDennisonBruyere_RoyaleCitizen BMaynard
MikeDennison
Codger in Training

Another 'bay purchase- a no-name basket pot stamped "Italy" on the stummel. While sterilizing it, I got sloppy with the isopropyl and raised this oxidation on the stem. I'll hafta dig out the Soft Scrub.
This post by MikeDennison liked by (total 8):
Middle EarthrekamepipDr UhahaBruyere_RoyaleMaynardMr BeardsleyBamarickThelonious monkfish
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Citizen B

I bought one of those Nording pipes that are made of plastic and use the pipe stones instead of filters. It's not the regular sized one, it's the smaller one. Hold on a minute----one side says, 'Made in Denmark." Let me look at the other side. The other side says, "Shorty."

I guess my latest pipe smoking purchase is a Nording Shorty.

It's lime green. It is four and a half inches long. There are better short pipes than this.
This post by Citizen B liked by (total 6):
Middle EarthMikeDennisonBruyere_RoyaleMaynardMr BeardsleyThelonious monkfish
Citizen B

MikeDennison wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:09 pm
Another 'bay purchase- a no-name basket pot stamped "Italy" on the stummel. While sterilizing it, I got sloppy with the isopropyl and raised this oxidation on the stem. I'll hafta dig out the Soft Scrub.
Why are you sterilizing it? You don't trust the seller?
This post by Citizen B liked by (total 5):
Middle EarthMikeDennisonBruyere_RoyaleMaynardThelonious monkfish
MikeDennison
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:30 pm
MikeDennison wrote:
Nope. Not when it comes that. 😆
This post by MikeDennison liked by (total 5):
Middle EarthBruyere_RoyaleFr_TomMaynardThelonious monkfish
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
rekamepip
Member in Good Standing

MikeDennison wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:23 pm
Citizen B wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:30 pm
MikeDennison wrote:
Nope. Not when it comes that. 😆
I don’t blame ya !
I still have a few eBay pipes in quarantine
This post by rekamepip liked by (total 7):
Middle EarthBruyere_RoyaleFr_TomMikeDennisonMaynardCitizen BThelonious monkfish
Bruyere_Royale
Jersey Devil

MikeDennison wrote:
Upon futher inspection, that stem appears to be upside down according to how it lines up with the shank. I could be wrong. Nice grain on that one!
This post by Bruyere_Royale liked by (total 4):
Fr_TomMikeDennisonMaynardThelonious monkfish
.................🎳