Recommendations needed for a new pipe that smokes cool, that either comes with filters or with room to fashion a filter.

Whalehead King

I don't know what kind of filters you have in Australia, but I much prefer paper filters (Medico and Grabow) over balsa filters. They just seem more efficient to me since the smoke goes through the filter vs. around it.

A Falcon is a nice filter pipe if you put a snippet of pipe cleaner in the humidome. It will capture all sorts of unsavory goo. You smoke a Falcon differently than you would a regular pipe, though. Smoke too fast and it will get as hot as the Devil's handshake.

I'm not going to mention the Kirsten. It's too esoteric and I can't imagine what it would cost to ship it from Seattle to the end of the earth.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Whalehead King wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:37 pm
I'm not going to mention the Kirsten. It's too esoteric and I can't imagine what it would cost to ship it from Seattle to the end of the earth.
I'm going to mention a Filto pipe, but good luck finding one Down Under. Actually, they're probably lousy with 'em down there. :king:
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Legion

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:50 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:18 am
arturo7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:47 am Check out Savinellis. Many of them are filtered, either 9 or 6mm. They have some lower priced models that smoke incredibly well, and some higher priced models that smoke incredibly well. They use a balsa wood filter. After 2 or 3 smokes you toss it and grab another.
I saw the thread and was going to recommend Savinelli. I don't use the filters, but I wonder if a Medico filter would fit in a Savinelli?
They fit, being six dolphin squeaks, but you have to cut them down.

Legion, get a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe for a cool, dry smoke. They ain't called Nature's Sweetest for nothing.
Thanks for the rec Kevin.

A look at the Missouri Meerschaum co web site shows they're out of stock of the pipe I'd like (Dwarf Cobbit Corn Pipe)
Thinking I could simply purchase a curved & longer stem piece shows that that's also out of stock (Cobbit Wizard Bit)

They're nice & cheap so it's definitely worth adding one to my collection.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Legion wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:54 pm
Thanks for the rec Kevin.

A look at the Missouri Meerschaum co web site shows they're out of stock of the pipe I'd like (Dwarf Cobbit Corn Pipe)
Thinking I could simply purchase a curved & longer stem piece shows that that's also out of stock (Cobbit Wizard Bit)

It really is hard to go wrong with a cob...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
ted
Broken Pipe

I'll put up a Grabow Royalton bent bulldog #83. Big enough to smoke cool and will accept either Medico or Grabow filters.
I think 'tobaccopipes.com' in Spring Hill, FL has one.

I can get one from the factory, but it might be more expensive because of the shipping and customs fee. ted

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/dr-grabow- ... pe-smooth/
Legion

Whalehead King wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:37 pm I don't know what kind of filters you have in Australia, but I much prefer paper filters (Medico and Grabow) over balsa filters. They just seem more efficient to me since the smoke goes through the filter vs. around it.

A Falcon is a nice filter pipe if you put a snippet of pipe cleaner in the humidome. It will capture all sorts of unsavory goo. You smoke a Falcon differently than you would a regular pipe, though. Smoke too fast and it will get as hot as the Devil's handshake.

Hahaha .. "end of the earth" .... lol. Mate I'm across an ocean, not on the moon. That's hilarious.

I don't smoke a pipe the way they were intended, or at least not in the traditional way. My grandfather could keep a bowl alight for ages.
It's the blast of nicotine that I need. When I ditched the cigs for a pipe I got in the habit of just getting my hit of nicotine & the bowl is extinguished before I reach for another hit. So not sure if the Falcon would suit me or not.

I'm 1-2 hours from Sydney these days & there's no decent tobacconists with a decent range of pipes so most of my purchases are ordered off the net.
The taxes on tobacco is outrageous (thanks to the shrieking vocal minority of self appointed arbiters of social conscience .... you can probably guess to which side they lean) A 50g tin (2oz) of tobacco is now $75.
Recently I bought a 16oz pack of tobacco from 4noggins. The postage cost more than the baccy, lol. (Baccy was $20 - postage $25)
The $AUD is around $0.75 to the $USD so I lose on the exchange rate.
Whalehead King

Legion wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:54 pm A look at the Missouri Meerschaum co web site shows they're out of stock of the pipe I'd like (Dwarf Cobbit Corn Pipe)

No offense intended, but, hold on there, Frodo. I strongly recommend a regular cob, no bells or whistles. You should buy these for the bowls and their practicality, not for their stems. A Legend, a Diplomat, a Country Gentleman. I was going to say anything that costs less than 6 bucks U.S. but I just checked their website....Holy Cow!! $13 for a cob?!??!!

Either way, it's money well spent for a cool smoking pipe that can take a lot of abuse and won't ghost. It's not called Meerschaum for nothing. Really. These are the most reliable and affordable pipes in the world----even at $13. At the exchange rate, it's still worth it.

I complain when a 50g tin costs $14.

Get one or two cobs. Try them out. Put them through the paces. I, and many other MM fans, think you'll like what you find when you do. Then, you can upgrade to the Cobbit.

P.S. I know this scene is set in New Zealand. ;)
Legion

ted wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:25 pm I'll put up a Grabow Royalton bent bulldog #83. Big enough to smoke cool and will accept either Medico or Grabow filters.
I think 'tobaccopipes.com' in Spring Hill, FL has one.

I can get one from the factory, but it might be more expensive because of the shipping and customs fee. ted

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/dr-grabow- ... pe-smooth/
Thanks Ted, I've been reading up on others comments on Grabow pipes. Smokers seem to agree that it's a good pipe at a great price.

Shipping & around a 25% exchange rate of doing business. Our useless govt. has recently changed the rules re; internet sales & wants to charge 10% GST on all orders over a certain amount. Not sure if it's been implemented yet but it puts at risk tobacco orders from OS (Customs duty on my recent 16oz purchase would be at least $400) so I'm ordering up while I still can.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Legion wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:51 pm
Thanks Ted, I've been reading up on others comments on Grabow pipes. Smokers seem to agree that it's a good pipe at a great price.
Grabows are great pipes. You can see from the WAYS thread that I am a fan.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Legion

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:41 pm
Whalehead King wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:37 pm
I'm going to mention a Filto pipe, but good luck finding one Down Under. Actually, they're probably lousy with 'em down there. :king:
Just checked out the Kirsten Pipe Co website. They obviously do things their way re; making pipes.
The model that I like is, naturally, at the dearer end of the range; an X-large Bulldog Meerschaum bowl - #1610 - what a cool looking pipe but at $USD259 it's a bit rich for my blood atm.