New pipes ......

Legion

This 1960's Masta Patent Standard by GBD I won for $10.50usd. Again, didn't really need it but who could go past that price?

It's got a large bowl & is a really good smoker. Firmly in my rotation.

Legion

This Bruyere Garantie Prince Rhodesian Shag Briar is a bit on the dainty side. $19usd.
It's got a small/medium bowl & I've dedicated it to English blends.
(What does 'shag' briar mean?)

In the 2nd pic you can see an aluminium tube protruding into the chamber. What a stupid idea. It blocked up within several puffs so I removed it.
The draught hole needs to be opened just a touch because it gums up near the end of a bowl.

Oops ... pictures coming ........
Last edited by Legion on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Legion

Legion

The draught hole probably blocks on the Rhodesian ^^^^ because it's too low in the chamber to accommodate that stupid inner tube.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Some really excellent pipes !! Hey , if youre gonna dive into estates , its way enjoyable to own a buffer . It makes laborious work light
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Nice bunch of pipes. The inner tubes definitely need to be done right or it's a pain in the hind parts. I have an old england with one and I'll normally run a pipe cleaner through it while packing. Seems like it helps but it's such a great smoker that it may not matter at all
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Legion

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:33 pm Some really excellent pipes !! Hey , if youre gonna dive into estates , its way enjoyable to own a buffer . It makes laborious work light
Thanks Ruff. I've got quite a few more to show off.

I've been just a tad exuberant bidding on these ebay pipes that I really don't need any more.
But as all pipe smokers who are suffering from PAD, need & want are two different things entirely.

I'm intending to get a variable speed dremel with a stand in the new year & hope that that will do the job.
Legion

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:43 pm Nice bunch of pipes. The inner tubes definitely need to be done right or it's a pain in the hind parts. I have an old england with one and I'll normally run a pipe cleaner through it while packing. Seems like it helps but it's such a great smoker that it may not matter at all
In theory, I like the idea of inner tubes & stingers but the few pipes that have had them, have been removed because they block the draw &/or clog quickly. I'm now in the habit of cleaning a pipe after each bowl but needing to run a pipe cleaner through mid-bowl is ridiculous.

The normal practice to widen a draught hole, from what I've read, is to move a drill piece through by hand.
The draught hole on the Rhodesian is too low in the chamber (thanks to the dumb tube) so if I use a drill bit it runs the risk of it going deeper into the chamber. So I'm thinking of using a small file to file the top of the hole. (If that makes sense)
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Legion wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:43 pm Nice bunch of pipes. The inner tubes definitely need to be done right or it's a pain in the hind parts. I have an old england with one and I'll normally run a pipe cleaner through it while packing. Seems like it helps but it's such a great smoker that it may not matter at all
In theory, I like the idea of inner tubes & stingers but the few pipes that have had them, have been removed because they block the draw &/or clog quickly. I'm now in the habit of cleaning a pipe after each bowl but needing to run a pipe cleaner through mid-bowl is ridiculous.

The normal practice to widen a draught hole, from what I've read, is to move a drill piece through by hand.
The draught hole on the Rhodesian is too low in the chamber (thanks to the dumb tube) so if I use a drill bit it runs the risk of it going deeper into the chamber. So I'm thinking of using a small file to file the top of the hole. (If that makes sense)
Yeah, file the top side of the hole only so it's more of an oval. I've never met a stinger I liked, so I store them all in a little parts container so that I can include them if I ever decide to sell the pipe they were in. I only have the one inner tube and it works well on that particular pipe. I can see why a low drilling would really screw it up
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Legion

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:31 am
Legion wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 am

Yeah, file the top side of the hole only so it's more of an oval. I've never met a stinger I liked, so I store them all in a little parts container so that I can include them if I ever decide to sell the pipe they were in. I only have the one inner tube and it works well on that particular pipe. I can see why a low drilling would really screw it up
Ok, thanks. File top side it is.

It's fortunate that it has a smallish bowl. If it was large & drilled like that, it wouldn't be worth smoking I wouldn't think.