Latest Pipe Purchase 2018

avid

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:38 pm I bought a princely Peterson today.
i don't believe you
insufferable filter guy
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I made a half-hearted play for a Grabow pot today. I didn't notice it was a 3/4" chamber bore until after I bid. Once I was outbid I just let it go. I'm hunting wide chambers to ghost up real nice with deer tongue blends
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

avid wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:09 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:38 pm I bought a princely Peterson today.
i don't believe you
I had a ruff weekend.
The Troll Whisperer
Maynard

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:34 pm I have bought something unusual and reasonably easy to find.

I have never really warmed up to Zippos until a member of the parish gave me an old one that was "not working right." I rerouted the wick, trimmed it and put in a fresh flint, and it works fine. I looked up the symbols on the bottom to see when it was made -'93.

I started using it and then started using an Old Ted Award Zippo pipe lighter at home. I have come around on the Zippos.

So I thought, "How hard would it be to find a 'birthyear' Zippo on Ebay that is cheaper than a new one?" As it turns out, it is pretty easy. I have one coming in the mail.

I know it has some wear on it, but so do I. I think I am going to like it.

I have been using this one since the 70s I put the pipe lighter insert in it in the 90s serial number says from 1952 my Dad gave it to me. They are tough.Image
Rusticated

Maynard wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:46 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:34 pm I have bought something unusual and reasonably easy to find.

I have never really warmed up to Zippos until a member of the parish gave me an old one that was "not working right." I rerouted the wick, trimmed it and put in a fresh flint, and it works fine. I looked up the symbols on the bottom to see when it was made -'93.

I started using it and then started using an Old Ted Award Zippo pipe lighter at home. I have come around on the Zippos.

So I thought, "How hard would it be to find a 'birthyear' Zippo on Ebay that is cheaper than a new one?" As it turns out, it is pretty easy. I have one coming in the mail.

I have been using this one since the 70s I put the pipe lighter insert in it in the 90s serial number says from 1952 my Dad gave it to me. They are tough.Image
Now THATS got character!
whitebriar

Ahhhh--wear just adds character Padre--i like for my stuff to look like me--i've had a hard life<<grin>>

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I got two of these on the 'bay. They're not fancy, just plain ol' unnamed billiards. I really like their lines, though...and they're light enough to clench comfortably.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Rusticated

MikeDennison wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:45 am I got two of these on the 'bay. They're not fancy, just plain ol' unnamed billiards. I really like their lines, though...and they're light enough to clench comfortably.
Speaking of clenching, do any of you EVER use those rubber bit protectors? Or is that like bringing a banana on a fishing boat? :D
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Rusticated wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:19 pm
Speaking of clenching, do any of you EVER use those rubber bit protectors? Or is that like bringing a banana on a fishing boat? :D
I see them in WAYS, so I know some people use them. They make the bit fat and squishy for me. I figure they sell for a reason and preferences are different. I say give them a try.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Rusticated

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:34 pm
Rusticated wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:19 pm
I see them in WAYS, so I know some people use them. They make the bit fat and squishy for me. I figure they sell for a reason and preferences are different. I say give them a try.
Thanks Fr_Tom, I've got several pipes that weigh just enough on the heavy side that they require a heavier clench than I want to exert. Not to protect my teeth, but the bit. Either that or just choose my lighter pipes for activities where the pipe stays in my mouth most of the time. Think I'll just give a couple of those a whirl and see.