Latest Pipe Purchase 2019

9 Iron
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:06 pm
9 Iron wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm

Props for going full on codger and getting the one with the leaf carvings. :thumbs:
Turns out I am amazingly surprised at how wonderful this pipe smokes. Folded and stuffed a single flake of Mac Baren Mixture flake and slow smoldered it for upwards of two hours. I wish I’d stumbled onto one of these early on in my pipe smoking journey. Would have saved myself a lot of money and heartache.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Longshanks wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:10 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:58 pm

We will see. I am a man who has a tube of superglue and is not afraid to use it.
I just went back and scanned the photos on full brightness and couldn't see anything that looks like a crack. :?:
Awesome, so you're telling me I missed out on a great deal. LOL Hey, at least Fr. Tom got it. I'm okay with that. ;)
Here's an illustration of what I thought I saw... arrow heads point to the bottom of what I thought was a hairline crack. I wear glasses for near-sightedness, so pardon the mistake. :bang:

There were no cracks on this bad boy. There was not much evidence of use. It was pretty clean and had been sitting in a drawer for a while. Each smoke has gotten better, and the first one was good. I did OK on this one.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

9 Iron wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:23 pm
houtenziel wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:06 pm
9 Iron wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm

Props for going full on codger and getting the one with the leaf carvings. :thumbs:
Turns out I am amazingly surprised at how wonderful this pipe smokes. Folded and stuffed a single flake of Mac Baren Mixture flake and slow smoldered it for upwards of two hours. I wish I’d stumbled onto one of these early on in my pipe smoking journey. Would have saved myself a lot of money and heartache.
I had no doubts that it would smoke well, as I have never had a bad pipe from S.M. Frank. I also think the leaf carvings probably give it some kind of special property, sort of like a codger equivalent of putting blood on the doorposts, so that the swamp spirit will pass over and do no harm.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:32 pm
Longshanks wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 pm
houtenziel wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:10 pm

I just went back and scanned the photos on full brightness and couldn't see anything that looks like a crack. :?:
Awesome, so you're telling me I missed out on a great deal. LOL Hey, at least Fr. Tom got it. I'm okay with that. ;)
Here's an illustration of what I thought I saw... arrow heads point to the bottom of what I thought was a hairline crack. I wear glasses for near-sightedness, so pardon the mistake. :bang:

There were no cracks on this bad boy. There was not much evidence of use. It was pretty clean and had been sitting in a drawer for a while. Each smoke has gotten better, and the first one was good. I did OK on this one.
Awesome! Grats on the win! :thumbs:
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Tsal
Forum Decorum

This is the last time I visit the bay on a Sunday. I snagged an older xl999 with a fancy silver band, Donegal Rocky.
The Troll Whisperer
Islayphile
Member in Good Standing

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:52 pm This is the last time I visit the bay on a Sunday. I snagged an older xl999 with a fancy silver band, Donegal Rocky.
Till the next time that is.

;)
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:52 pm This is the last time I visit the bay on a Sunday. I snagged an older xl999 with a fancy silver band, Donegal Rocky.
Nice pipe!
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Islayphile wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:12 pm
Till the next time that is.

;)
Nope, this was my last visit. I also picked up an old Grousemoor tin as well.
The Troll Whisperer
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

It was bound to happen. I kept looking at them, some checked every box, and I had house money to play with. Let a few slip away but after Tom noted the taste argument is possibly due to where the wood was sourced more than anything, and considering the makers history with the material coupled with the fact that their pieces almost never seem to land in the estate market it gave me enough to make a decision. Hope I like Morta as this Il Duca is mine now.

Tsal
Forum Decorum

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:53 pm It was bound to happen. I kept looking at them, some checked every box, and I had house money to play with. Let a few slip away but after Tom noted the taste argument is possibly due to where the wood was sourced more than anything, and considering the makers history with the material coupled with the fact that their pieces almost never seem to land in the estate market it gave me enough to make a decision. Hope I like Morta as this Il Duca is mine now.

That's a beauty! I hope it works out for you :thumbs:
The Troll Whisperer