Latest Pipe Purchase 2019

Locked
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Senior Member
Posts: 1498
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Middle Earth wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:15 pm
rekamepip wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:39 pm
didn't want to get caught short for next months challenge
so.....
Image
That is the top of the line Platinum Edition
You have met and exceeded the challange
Seriously, the best Brylon I have ever seen
Honorary Brylon. The body is plastic but the bowl/liner is pyrolytic graphite.
1 x
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 10719
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Southern Virginia

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:43 pm
Middle Earth wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:15 pm
rekamepip wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:39 pm
didn't want to get caught short for next months challenge
so.....
Image
That is the top of the line Platinum Edition
You have met and exceeded the challange
Seriously, the best Brylon I have ever seen
Honorary Brylon. The body is plastic but the bowl/liner is pyrolytic graphite.
Is this the construction on The Pipe I got? I was going to bore mine out before ABC, but I will probably leave it as is if there is a graphite liner in plastic.
1 x
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Senior Member
Posts: 1498
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:10 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:43 pm
Middle Earth wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:15 pm


That is the top of the line Platinum Edition
You have met and exceeded the challange
Seriously, the best Brylon I have ever seen
Honorary Brylon. The body is plastic but the bowl/liner is pyrolytic graphite.
Is this the construction on The Pipe I got? I was going to bore mine out before ABC, but I will probably leave it as is if there is a graphite liner in plastic.
Yes, The Pipe/Venturi/another one or two have pyrolytic graphite cups for the chamber, there isn't enough material to bore them out and removing the liner will leave you with a strange opening and no real chamber as the body of The Pipe works in conjunction with that liner to create the venturi effect. You can wash them in the dishwasher though! You might want to keep any cake from building to preserve some room in the chamber, also I think it's recommended not to let any build with them but I couldn't say why or where I read that.

Edit to add cutaway picture
Image
4 x
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 10719
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Southern Virginia

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:45 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:10 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:43 pm
Honorary Brylon. The body is plastic but the bowl/liner is pyrolytic graphite.
Is this the construction on The Pipe I got? I was going to bore mine out before ABC, but I will probably leave it as is if there is a graphite liner in plastic.
Yes, The Pipe/Venturi/another one or two have pyrolytic graphite cups for the chamber, there isn't enough material to bore them out and removing the liner will leave you with a strange opening and no real chamber as the body of The Pipe works in conjunction with that liner to create the venturi effect. You can wash them in the dishwasher though! You might want to keep any cake from building to preserve some room in the chamber, also I think it's recommended not to let any build with them but I couldn't say why or where I read that.

Edit to add cutaway picture
Image
This valuable information - thanks...
3 x
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah
Posts: 3474
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Cowtown

Fr_Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:32 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:45 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:10 pm


Is this the construction on The Pipe I got? I was going to bore mine out before ABC, but I will probably leave it as is if there is a graphite liner in plastic.
Yes, The Pipe/Venturi/another one or two have pyrolytic graphite cups for the chamber, there isn't enough material to bore them out and removing the liner will leave you with a strange opening and no real chamber as the body of The Pipe works in conjunction with that liner to create the venturi effect. You can wash them in the dishwasher though! You might want to keep any cake from building to preserve some room in the chamber, also I think it's recommended not to let any build with them but I couldn't say why or where I read that.

Edit to add cutaway picture
Image
This valuable information - thanks...
The Venturi line doesn't have the pyrolytic graphite lining like The Pipe, it is straight "brylon" or phenolic resin. I'll have to dig more on Taylor's site to know about The Smoke.

"Late in 1971 or early 1972, manufacture of a pipe made entirely of phenolic resin without any bowl liner was begun in an effort to reduce the price of the pipes and increase sales volume. These pipes were named the Venturi models and were priced about $5.00. These all-plastic pipes were successful and began to assume an ever increasing percentage of sales. They were offered in three basic shapes (Bent, Billiard, and Pot) of five colors each: Blue, Ebony, Green, Red, and White. Many of these pipes were sold in various promotional packages consisting of a bubble card which included a 2 ounce roll-up pouch of tobacco and a small brochure." http://www.thepipe.info/history/index.html
3 x
User avatar
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah
Posts: 3474
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Cowtown

Ok, THE SMOKE has the pyrolytic graphite lining in the bowl, but it is a cheaper one (whatever that means) than the one in The Pipe. http://www.thepipe.info/history/index.html
4 x
User avatar
rekamepip
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 569
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:34 pm

i think once i burn out the 40+/- years of dust bunnies out of my TheSmoke it should prove to be a viable tobacco burning machine
5 x
BriarPipeNYC
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Seeing the above photo of the cardboard shipping box and the estate pipes........jaded as I am, I still manage to get excited when an ordered Estate-pipe shows up in my mail. Like a kid, I rip the box open, anticipating the first glimpse of some past owner's pipe.

I'm blessed that I'm handy, and I can usually turn some old briar sow's ear into a silk purse. I won't hesitate to Dremel-carve or rusticate a new surface onto a smooth pipe with flaws/fills/dents. It's fun. My kitchen table is my "work shop" and my high-tech tools consist of sandpaper, a Dremel -for carving briar and polishing stems, etc.- and some beeswax. I use SHARPIE markers for staining and touchups. You'll be surprised what some elbow-grease can do for a beat up pipe. If I screw up, I toss the pipe.

Love working on, and, smoking pipes.
4 x
DonniePaul
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:13 pm
Location: Connecticut

I found this little one in the novelty section of a Vermont country store. I had to get it.

I don’t think I can trust the glue that’s holding that shank in or else I would pack it deep and go to town. Like a car with a one gallon gas tank. :lol:

Image
7 x
User avatar
avid
Senior Member
Posts: 1920
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:32 pm
Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:45 pm
Fr_Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:10 pm
Is this the construction on The Pipe I got? I was going to bore mine out before ABC, but I will probably leave it as is if there is a graphite liner in plastic.
Yes, The Pipe/Venturi/another one or two have pyrolytic graphite cups for the chamber, there isn't enough material to bore them out and removing the liner will leave you with a strange opening and no real chamber as the body of The Pipe works in conjunction with that liner to create the venturi effect. You can wash them in the dishwasher though! You might want to keep any cake from building to preserve some room in the chamber, also I think it's recommended not to let any build with them but I couldn't say why or where I read that.

Edit to add cutaway picture
Image
This valuable information - thanks...
i'd like to get one in kryptonite...hold the stalactites and stalagmites
5 x
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
insufferable filter guy
Locked