Latest Tobacco Purchase 2020

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:10 pm
Citizen B wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:48 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:05 am I don't know who was so kind as to gift me this package of LJ Peretti Thanksgiving Day, but I'm very thankful and appreciative. It arrived today with the mail directly from LJP, and there's nothing to indicate who gifted it. But whomever you are, thanks so much!
I have never tried this blend. I'm looking forward to reading what you think of it.
Sadly, neither my tastebuds or my vocabulary are sophisticated enough to provide any sort of review. So, I'll just say that I like it. It's got a bit of a floral note...something I typically don't care for, but it's not overpowering and works. Seems like a quality burley blend. Slow burning. Nice room note. Sorry I can't give ya any better than that, sir. Maybe [mention]Bruyere_Royale[/mention] can provide a better idea of the taste profile.
Here is my review. I am not saying it is a good one or anything, and I am open to [mention]Bruyere_Royale[/mention]'s correction.

https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/27 ... giving-day
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Fr_Tom wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:29 pm

I have never tried this blend. I'm looking forward to reading what you think of it.
Sadly, neither my tastebuds or my vocabulary are sophisticated enough to provide any sort of review. So, I'll just say that I like it. It's got a bit of a floral note...something I typically don't care for, but it's not overpowering and works. Seems like a quality burley blend. Slow burning. Nice room note. Sorry I can't give ya any better than that, sir. Maybe [mention]Bruyere_Royale[/mention] can provide a better idea of the taste profile.
Here is my review. I am not saying it is a good one or anything, and I am open to [mention]Bruyere_Royale[/mention]'s correction.

I can't review tobacco to save my life. Earth? I agree that it is a very Codgerly blend. It's good for once a year. I like it. I taste Burley and maybe some flower but not the 35 different flavors that people find in TR... I don't get how people can detect that stuff...
The Troll Whisperer
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:03 pm

I can't review tobacco to save my life. Earth? I agree that it is a very Codgerly blend. It's good for once a year. I like it. I taste Burley and maybe some flower but not the 35 different flavors that people find in TR... I don't get how people can detect that stuff...
What's TR? I know you don't mean the guy on Mount Rushmore.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

What's not to like. 10 people found this review helpful:

"This blend comes in a rectangular cake. It is mostly dark and medium brown with a few strands of tan. The cut is wide short ribbon and cube cut tobacco. The cake is pressed to a degree that stays together in the plastic bag, but it is easy to pinch off a piece and crumble in your fingers to load. It came at a good level of hydration for me, and I smoked it as delivered.

"On first light, there is a brief floral note that makes me think there is a little deer tongue in it. The floral does not persist. It is burley forward, and is a little reminiscent of a C&D blend. It is earthy and slightly sweet. It has a cocoa note or two with a bitter edge when puffed. The topping presents as a mild fruit at about the same level of strength as you find in Epiphany. It is a very pleasant combination of flavors - a mild aromatic that really tasted like good burley tobacco. I am not getting much in the way of Virginia flavor, so it is in a support role and may add to the sweet.

"The smoking did not require an unusual number of relights, and it did not leave a damp heel. Back-to-back bowls in the same pipe were satisfying. This is a codger blend that others aspire to.

"This one really falls into the "everyone should try" rating. It is very good and it is available. I think it is a solid standard in the "codger" category.

Pipe Used: Various Grabow pots

Age When Smoked: fresh from the press

Purchased From: Peretti

9 people found this review helpful
."

------It is very good and it is available". Being available is a big plus. It could be just okay and available and I'd smoke it.

Nice review. Thanks!
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I'd say that was a good review, Padre! 😊
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Jlando19

I just bought the last 16oz bag of Picayune from Tobaccopipes.com. A purchase based off of one man's commitment to the product.

Thank you Fr_Tom, for the inspiration. I know it seemed ill received by a few here but I was feeling adventurous, with a little fear of missing out on it as well.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Jlando19 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:55 am I know it seemed ill received by a few here
Not many have the intestinal fortitude that Father Tom does. Nicotine has a Father Tom Tolerance, not the other way around. :D
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Jlando19 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:55 am I just bought the last 16oz bag of Picayune from Tobaccopipes.com. A purchase based off of one man's commitment to the product.

Thank you Fr_Tom, for the inspiration. I know it seemed ill received by a few here but I was feeling adventurous, with a little fear of missing out on it as well.
I enjoy Picayune, but recommend that you start with half a bowl and take it slow and easy until you get to know it.
Jlando19

Houtenziel wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:06 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:55 am I know it seemed ill received by a few here
Not many have the intestinal fortitude that Father Tom does. Nicotine has a Father Tom Tolerance, not the other way around. :D
Well a worst/ best case scenario is that I hate it and ask him for his mailing address. Haha.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Jlando19 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:55 am I just bought the last 16oz bag of Picayune from Tobaccopipes.com. A purchase based off of one man's commitment to the product.

If it does not work out for you... I really am a fan.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017