Latest Tobacco Purchase 2020

Jlando19

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:57 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:52 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:47 pm Those are awesome! I really like that spalted Avocado and Iron wood. Can you make a skinner?
I could. I recently experienced a little set back with my knife making business and have to recoup. I had a partner and we shared the expenses of some of the more expensive equipment and he took off recently with some of the more critical pieces. So I'm having to rely on some buddies of mine to go over to their shops and get grinding done there.
That's a bummer...at least you have a spot to go to until you get back up and running.
This is true! Knifemakers are a bunch of solid dudes and the community in my experience comes together when one of us needs a hand. I'm in the process of converting one of them to a pipe from cigarettes. Going to gift him a little cob next time I go over.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:38 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:27 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:48 pm Nice! Let's see your handy work.. I did not get a PM from you but you can ask me here if it's easier.
So my dad taught me about some etiquette pertaining to being passed by a big rig involving briefly turning your lights on and off when they are trying to merge back in front of you. I also briefly tap my brakes twice as an acknowledgement of one making space and signaling for me to merge in front of them.

My experience the other night was while passing a big rig on the left he flashed this rearward facing bright exterior cab light at me. Wondering if it was just a fluke or if it meant something?

I'll post a couple photos of knives here. Hope it doesn't distract too much from the topic.
That meant either one of two things. He seen you and wanted you to know that because some people get really nervous passing trucks for some reason or there's a bear up ahead and was signaling you to slow down cause knows they are waiting to hand out coupons. Lol
I always flash my lights to oncoming traffic after I pass a bear/county mountie/local yokel taking pictures...y'all stay loaded, keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down, I'll catch ya on the flip flop. 40 roger, we gone.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Jlando19 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:06 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:57 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:52 pm
I could. I recently experienced a little set back with my knife making business and have to recoup. I had a partner and we shared the expenses of some of the more expensive equipment and he took off recently with some of the more critical pieces. So I'm having to rely on some buddies of mine to go over to their shops and get grinding done there.
That's a bummer...at least you have a spot to go to until you get back up and running.
This is true! Knifemakers are a bunch of solid dudes and the community in my experience comes together when one of us needs a hand. I'm in the process of converting one of them to a pipe from cigarettes. Going to gift him a little cob next time I go over.
That's cool, and cob for some grind time. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:11 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:38 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:27 pm
So my dad taught me about some etiquette pertaining to being passed by a big rig involving briefly turning your lights on and off when they are trying to merge back in front of you. I also briefly tap my brakes twice as an acknowledgement of one making space and signaling for me to merge in front of them.

My experience the other night was while passing a big rig on the left he flashed this rearward facing bright exterior cab light at me. Wondering if it was just a fluke or if it meant something?

I'll post a couple photos of knives here. Hope it doesn't distract too much from the topic.
That meant either one of two things. He seen you and wanted you to know that because some people get really nervous passing trucks for some reason or there's a bear up ahead and was signaling you to slow down cause knows they are waiting to hand out coupons. Lol
I always flash my lights to oncoming traffic after I pass a bear/county mountie/local yokel taking pictures...y'all stay loaded, keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down, I'll catch ya on the flip flop. 40 roger, we gone.
Copy copy...
The oncoming rule applies everywhere I think, but the work light flash on the same side is a "we got you covered".
The Troll Whisperer
Jlando19

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:11 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:06 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:57 pm That's a bummer...at least you have a spot to go to until you get back up and running.
That's cool, and cob for some grind time. Lol
I make sure and go on days when he's not grinding so it doesn't interfere with his work flow. Plus we have the added benefit of bouncing ideas off of one another and trouble shooting things together. I think he'll be stoked on the cob, it's right up his alley. He's a cheap bastard. Hahaha.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:14 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:38 pm That meant either one of two things. He seen you and wanted you to know that because some people get really nervous passing trucks for some reason or there's a bear up ahead and was signaling you to slow down cause knows they are waiting to hand out coupons. Lol
Copy copy...
The oncoming rule applies everywhere I think, but the work light flash on the same side is a "we got you covered".
"Texas Highway Patrol. The reason I stopped you this evening is because you had a white light shining to the rear. Your driver license, registration, log book, and bill of lading please." lol
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Kevin Keith wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:18 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:14 pm
Copy copy...
"Texas Highway Patrol. The reason I stopped you this evening is because you had a white light shining to the rear. Your driver license, registration, log book, and bill of lading please." lol
Sorry about that officer, I must have flashed it with my knee. Let.me get my ppwrk, sorry about the mess I just bought a bunch of Dr Grabow pipes, do you smoke?
The Troll Whisperer
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Jlando19 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:41 pm I'm posting these as a response to see some of my handy work from Bruyere_Royale. Hope it doesn't distract too much from the thread and I hope you guys enjoy the photos!
This first one is stainless steel with brown micarta scales and is the one I used to cut my 3P's with.
This second one is a Santoku with maple burl and black resin scales.
This third one is my take on a hunter in stainless steel and dessert iron wood scales.
This fourth image is all stainless steel. Same hunter as the one above but with a smaller version also.. First one has spalted avocado wood on the handle, the other two have dyed leapord wood handles.

Thanks for looking! Now back to your regularly programmed Latest Tobacco Purchases!
Beautiful!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Dr Uhaha wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:17 pm Image
That's a pretty big tin.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt