Latest Tobacco Purchase 2019

Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Fr_Tom wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:04 am
Peacock wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 pm
Johnny wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:43 pm Taking advantage of the 15% off C&D bulks, the second of two orders came in....UPS is slow and the first order won't arrive until Wednesday....

1lb Haunted Bookshop
1lb Three Friars
1lb Big N Burley
1lb Old Joe Krantz

I like both Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz even though the cut isn't what it used to be. Those are both just regular stock. Three Friars and Big N Burley are new to me but I figured I'd get a pound of each anyway. I've tried both today after jarring up everything and I love both blends!
Ah the old @Fr_tom approach eh? Leave no tobacco unsmoked, don't give up until you've burned minimally a pound :bow: Happy it worked out for you. Maybe I'm just a picky mf'er but I would be PO'd to grab a lb and then hate it
For the most part, I have a pretty good idea if I will like something or not. It is not that much of a risk. I would claim too that anyone who liked OJK and HB would likeThree Friars and Big-n-Burley. There are just some folks who hate C&D burley or can't abide perique I suppose.

KK is another who sometimes buys a pound to sample something. The theory though is that we are twins separated at birth. There may be a genetic marker for this sort of thing that they find in the genome. Johnny may be kin in some way.
That's kind of funny, Father! I thought when ordering those blends "I like HB and OJK, I should like these!" As far as the kin thing goes, I believe we are all brothers in one way or another.... I've also found that our tastes in tobaccos seem to be pretty similar!

@Peacock I'm pretty good at guessing what I like and have had pretty good luck with it. Sometimes it takes quite a few bowls for it to get good. Always try a tobacco in different pipe sizes and see what works for you. The first try of Three Friars in a group 5 was amazing but might not have suited me in a smaller bowl. Years ago I was sent a sample of OJK to try and I thought the guy was playing a prank on me and let their dog pee on some tobacco :lol: It smelled horrible to me and was afraid to try it. When I got up the nerve to try it, I fell in love!
avid

or can't abide perique I suppose.
or the nic
insufferable filter guy
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

avid wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:45 am
or the nic
That is an issue I was not thinking about.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
avid

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 am
avid wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:45 am
or the nic

That is an issue I was not thinking about.
Mssrs. Cornell & Diehl hit me pretty good, although haven't tried anything lately, and have increased tolerance.
insufferable filter guy
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Well, the first of the two orders arrived today. Most of it is blending tobaccos. I jarred up all the blending tobaccos as well.
All is Cornell & Diehl
8oz Dark Burley
8oz White Burley
8oz Burley Ribbon Cut
8oz Black Cavendish
8oz Latakia
8oz Virginia Ribbon
8oz Virginia Flake
8oz Red Virginia Ribbon
8oz Izmir Turkish
1lb Habana Daydream
1lb Epiphany

Peacock

Johnny wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:59 pm Well, the first of the two orders arrived today. Most of it is blending tobaccos. I jarred up all the blending tobaccos as well.
All is Cornell & Diehl
8oz Dark Burley
8oz White Burley
8oz Burley Ribbon Cut
8oz Black Cavendish
8oz Latakia
8oz Virginia Ribbon
8oz Virginia Flake
8oz Red Virginia Ribbon
8oz Izmir Turkish
1lb Habana Daydream
1lb Epiphany

A 5.5lb order?! You are a monster. Better share summa dat with me :mrgreen: :ugeek: Seriously though, sweet haul and I bet the 15% helped you order a bit more ;)
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Peacock wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:07 pm
Johnny wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:59 pm Well, the first of the two orders arrived today. Most of it is blending tobaccos. I jarred up all the blending tobaccos as well.
All is Cornell & Diehl
8oz Dark Burley
8oz White Burley
8oz Burley Ribbon Cut
8oz Black Cavendish
8oz Latakia
8oz Virginia Ribbon
8oz Virginia Flake
8oz Red Virginia Ribbon
8oz Izmir Turkish
1lb Habana Daydream
1lb Epiphany

A 5.5lb order?! You are a monster. Better share summa dat with me :mrgreen: :ugeek: Seriously though, sweet haul and I bet the 15% helped you order a bit more ;)
Most of the stuff is for experimentation. I want to start coming up with my own blends and imagine it's going to take a lot to get it right.... Already had Perique and cigar leaf in house. If you think about it, you can't have enough tobacco and it's never going to get cheaper!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

All is Cornell & Diehl
8oz Dark Burley
8oz White Burley
8oz Burley Ribbon Cut
8oz Black Cavendish
8oz Latakia
8oz Virginia Ribbon
8oz Virginia Flake
8oz Red Virginia Ribbon
8oz Izmir Turkish
1lb Habana Daydream
1lb Epiphany

Have fun creating something tasty!👍💨💨
The Troll Whisperer
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:13 pm
All is Cornell & Diehl
8oz Dark Burley
8oz White Burley
8oz Burley Ribbon Cut
8oz Black Cavendish
8oz Latakia
8oz Virginia Ribbon
8oz Virginia Flake
8oz Red Virginia Ribbon
8oz Izmir Turkish
1lb Habana Daydream
1lb Epiphany

It's going to be a time intensive venture but should be worth it. Want to try to figure out how to make a small press to make cakes. Thinking some c-clamps and some sort of form to make little 2oz plugs of cake....probably should have got an engineering degree
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Johnny wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:17 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:13 pm
All is Cornell & Diehl
8oz Dark Burley
8oz White Burley
8oz Burley Ribbon Cut
8oz Black Cavendish
8oz Latakia
8oz Virginia Ribbon
8oz Virginia Flake
8oz Red Virginia Ribbon
8oz Izmir Turkish
1lb Habana Daydream
1lb Epiphany

It's going to be a time intensive venture but should be worth it. Want to try to figure out how to make a small press to make cakes. Thinking some c-clamps and some sort of form to make little 2oz plugs of cake....probably should have got an engineering degree
Buy a quart sized caulking gun, and you can fit a 8oz jar in there. Fill jar with tobacco blend, throw a sheet of wax paper on top, and crank the gun plunger down on top of it. You aren't going to make plugs, but you will at least get enough pressure to "marry" the flavors.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt