Latest Tobacco Purchase 2019

Johnny
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:29 pm
Johnny wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:17 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:13 pm Have fun creating something tasty!👍💨💨
It's going to be a time intensive venture but should be worth it. Want to try to figure out how to make a small press to make cakes. Thinking some c-clamps and some sort of form to make little 2oz plugs of cake....probably should have got an engineering degree
Buy a quart sized caulking gun, and you can fit a 8oz jar in there. Fill jar with tobacco blend, throw a sheet of wax paper on top, and crank the gun plunger down on top of it. You aren't going to make plugs, but you will at least get enough pressure to "marry" the flavors.
That's a sweet idea, Hout! Never would have thought of that and it's way less work than building a form! Thanks man!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Johnny wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:32 pm

It's going to be a time intensive venture but should be worth it. Want to try to figure out how to make a small press to make cakes. Thinking some c-clamps and some sort of form to make little 2oz plugs of cake....probably should have got an engineering degree
Buy a quart sized caulking gun, and you can fit a 8oz jar in there. Fill jar with tobacco blend, throw a sheet of wax paper on top, and crank the gun plunger down on top of it. You aren't going to make plugs, but you will at least get enough pressure to "marry" the flavors.
That's a sweet idea, Hout! Never would have thought of that and it's way less work than building a form! Thanks man!
I can't take complete credit for that.. I saw someone do something similar years ago with a modified regular sized gun and a piece of PVC pipe. I had one of the quart size caulking guns for vulkem sealant doing exterior caulking.. I was in my garage one day and noticed that the jar fit perfectly in there :)

Edit - oh and by the way.. they sometimes call them "13"" or "29oz" caulking guns, if you are looking around for them.
Example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-29-oz-H ... /203788475
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

houtenziel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:45 pm

I can't take complete credit for that.. I saw someone do something similar years ago with a modified regular sized gun and a piece of PVC pipe. I had one of the quart size caulking guns for vulkem sealant doing exterior caulking.. I was in my garage one day and noticed that the jar fit perfectly in there :)

Edit - oh and by the way.. they sometimes call them "13"" or "29oz" caulking guns, if you are looking around for them.
I'll have to keep a look out. We have Lowe's in our town. A quick look at their website and I'm not seeing any 29oz. A couple 30s but...
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:13 pm
Johnny wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:59 pm Well, the first of the two orders arrived today. Most of it is blending tobaccos. I jarred up all the blending tobaccos as well.
All is Cornell & Diehl
8oz Dark Burley
8oz White Burley
8oz Burley Ribbon Cut
8oz Black Cavendish
8oz Latakia
8oz Virginia Ribbon
8oz Virginia Flake
8oz Red Virginia Ribbon
8oz Izmir Turkish
1lb Habana Daydream
1lb Epiphany

Have fun creating something tasty!👍💨💨
[media]
The Troll Whisperer
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Johnny wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:42 pm

I'll have to keep a look out. We have Lowe's in our town. A quick look at their website and I'm not seeing any 29oz. A couple 30s but...
30oz should work too. If you have an 8oz jar, take it with you to lowes to make sure the jar fits in the gun, and that the plunger fits inside the jar.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

PVC pipe, c clamps, hockey pucks. Done.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:21 pm

That sounds easy enough!
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:10 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:21 pm

That sounds easy enough!
I can't take credit for it. One of the guys in the LA pipe club did it. If you really want to wrench down on it I'd recommend a plywood backer between the puck and the clamp pad
Ellis You
Member in Good Standing

Another Watch City order. Seems like they've gotten me hooked on their blends.
Second pound of Meshugaas to stash and a half pound of Simply Red, a new all red Virginia blend. They threw in a sample of Flake #558 and dang it's fantastic, so no doubt I'll have to order a pound of that soon.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ellis You wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 pm Another Watch City order. Seems like they've gotten me hooked on their blends.
Second pound of Meshugaas to stash and a half pound of Simply Red, a new all red Virginia blend. They threw in a sample of Flake #558 and dang it's fantastic, so no doubt I'll have to order a pound of that soon.
I need to get my ducks in a row and order some more pounds from watch city too. Add to my 558 stash, nor'easter, slices, crumb cut, 4th nun returns (when it's available again). I could go on and on