Latest Tobacco Purchase 2019

houtenziel

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:23 am

MikeDennison wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:19 am
Three tins of Macanudo
One each of Stanwell Vanilla, Lane 1Q, and Davidoff Red Mixture.
Haven't had the Red Mixture, but judging by the quality of the Danish Mixture, I bet it's gonna be good!
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 6):
MikeDennisonFr_TomPeacockMrm1775JohnnyThelonious monkfish
"Today is a good day for a good day." - KK
MikeDennison

Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:28 am

houtenziel wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:23 am
MikeDennison wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:19 am
Three tins of Macanudo
One each of Stanwell Vanilla, Lane 1Q, and Davidoff Red Mixture.
Haven't had the Red Mixture, but judging by the quality of the Danish Mixture, I bet it's gonna be good!
When I first started smoking the pipe, I bought a kit from Pipe & Cigars that included a tin of Stanwell Melange and Davidoff Red. Both were really hard to keep lit as a beginner, but the tin notes were incredible! I've got several tins of Melange in my "cellar"...that stuff smells good enough to eat right out of the tin! :D I think I've only had Red Mixture one time since then, it had discouraged me so badly in early days! :lol: Some old timer on the old forum turned me onto codger blends, and that's pretty much where I've stayed since...with occasional forays into VaPers, etc.
This post by MikeDennison liked by (total 8):
houtenzielFr_TomPeacockMrm1775Mr BeardsleyBruyere_RoyaleJohnnyThelonious monkfish
Thelonious monkfish

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:13 pm

Two little packages showed up...

And while I was out running around earlier figured to drop by a store I haven't been in recently. Immediately grabbed both older slim tins of 3P's and scanned the rest, had some SG tins but nothing really of interest to me, did finally pick up some Stonehenge however. That 3P's was a lucky score. Productive day.

This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 8):
JohnnyMr BeardsleyFr_TomhoutenzielPeacockBruyere_RoyaleavidLongshanks
Johnny
Member in Good Standing

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:13 pm
Two little packages showed up...

And while I was out running around earlier figured to drop by a store I haven't been in recently. Immediately grabbed both older slim tins of 3P's and scanned the rest, had some SG tins but nothing really of interest to me, did finally pick up some Stonehenge however. That 3P's was a lucky score. Productive day.

Nice score, man! Is the 3Ps the same as it was when it came in the square tins? Haven't had any in a while and will be picking some up whenever it becomes available again
This post by Johnny liked by (total 5):
Fr_TomThelonious monkfishPeacockBruyere_Royaleavid
Thelonious monkfish

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:53 pm

Have noticed zero change in 3P's, but I do like it with some age and since these aren't the goofy double decker tins they introduced a year or two ago I know it has a little. Can't speak to University or Irish Flake though as I'm still working through the square tins and since they're OOS won't be trying the round tin stuff until it's back on shelves. From people I've asked those two are still the same as well.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 3):
JohnnyPeacockavid
Middle Earth

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:54 pm

I have been on a Stonehenge kick of late
Interested to see what you think about it
This post by Middle Earth liked by (total 4):
Thelonious monkfishJohnnyPeacockavid
Thelonious monkfish

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:07 pm

Middle Earth wrote:
Was expecting a Lakeland, or something reminiscent of one. It's a nice Va/Per but not what I was after. Is this normal? Stores here are a crap shoot, sometimes you get a well aged tin, sometimes one that sat on a shelf 8 feet from the door that opens to the outside x many times per day with temps swinging below zero to over 100 and no humidity at all to air that flows like water. This one seems a little dry and has no topping to speak off.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 4):
JohnnyPeacockavidMaynard
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:13 pm

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:07 pm
Middle Earth wrote:
Was expecting a Lakeland, or something reminiscent of one. It's a nice Va/Per but not what I was after. Is this normal? Stores here are a crap shoot, sometimes you get a well aged tin, sometimes one that sat on a shelf 8 feet from the door that opens to the outside x many times per day with temps swinging below zero to over 100 and no humidity at all to air that flows like water. This one seems a little dry and has no topping to speak off.
Interesting. I've heard a few times that it has a bit of that Lakeland magic going on with it
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 5):
Thelonious monkfishJohnnyPeacockavidMaynard
Not the brightest bulb in the fixture ;)
Thelonious monkfish

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:24 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:13 pm
Interesting. I've heard a few times that it has a bit of that Lakeland magic going on with it
Right?
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 4):
JohnnyMr BeardsleyavidMaynard
Middle Earth

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:36 pm

Some comments/complaints about the Lakeland taste. Not mentioned in the tin description.
The tin note is cocoa.
Gets great reviews, but some really do not like it.
I like it, a lot.
This post by Middle Earth liked by (total 5):
JohnnyThelonious monkfishPeacockavidMaynard