Broken Pipe: Tom Douglas

Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Sorry, everyone... Don't know what to say so copied Joe's post...

It is with great sadness that I post this topic. Our good friend Tom Douglas passed away at 71 years of age, this past Saturday, in Florida. It seems he had an infection in his stomach, but I don't know much more than that, regarding what actually contributed to his death. He did have a history of heart and other health complications. I just spoke very briefly with his wife Joyce; you can imagine how she's doing.

The impact Tom had on the pipe community is huge...beginning with an immense library of pipe knowledge through the pages of the Dr. Grabow Collectors Forum....his 25 years of service at the Grabow / Sparta pipe factory (where he retired in 1991)....his executive leadership over Mastercraft distribution for many years....and the pipe community in general. Tom was a real pipe man, grew up in tobacco country NC, and was simply a wealth of knowledge. He and I have tag-team arranged tours through the Sparta pipe factory many times, and my wife and I have been blessed to spend time with he and Joyce, and their little dog 'Buddy'. Tom also proudly served in the US military, and also served locally as City Manager in Sparta, NC, just to scratch the surface of his contributions far beyond the pipe community.

I am grateful for his friendship, and I will sorely miss my annual visits with him up in Piney Creek and Sparta. Your prayers for his wife Joyce will be much appreciated.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

After reading that I feel like I was kicked in the stomach. What a blow.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I am incredibly sorry to hear this news. He was just a great guy in every way as far as I could tell, and we will all miss him.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Billy Joe

RIP, Tom.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

So sorry to hear it. Rest in peace.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Oh man.. I feel like I just sunk through the floorboards. We corresponded a number of times, and man, he was one of the most genuine and interesting people I've had the opportunity to cross paths with.

Rest in peace Tom.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

My most sincere condolences to his family and friends. This forum was the first place I was able to enjoy his knowledge and interaction. I can only imagine how those of you who knew him well must feel
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Longshanks
Member in Good Standing

Condolences. He was a great contributor to the pipe industry we so enjoy. He was therefore a great loss to us all, regardless of our six degrees of separation.
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

It's coming up on a year since Tom died. I miss his participation on the forums. He had so much pipe history in that noggin of his! Luckily quite a bit of it is chronicled over at the DGCF.

Tom's favorite pipe shapes were the apple and the prince shapes. I think the bulldog came in a close third. I know for a fact that his favorite was the 11, extra large apple. The 19, medium prince was next. Tom had quit smoking when he retired as Grabow president and CEO in 1991 and got rid of all his pipes. He started back up around 2008, starting from zero. Of course, he had the necessary contacts at the factory to build that collection back up! Tom always said his limit was 48 pipes.

Here's a shot of Tom's Grabows from a few years ago.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Middle Earth

I missed this first time around
This says it all:

"Tom was a real pipe man..."