Need to finish your Dunhill collection?

User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:52 pm

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this set. It will be interesting to see if it actually sells


https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE ... 56b8a0ea22
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by:
Rusticated
May contain lead paint
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 3466
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:19 am

Matching numbers? That is quite the set o' pipes.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 2):
Mr BeardsleyRusticated
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: San Benito

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:18 am

All I need to finish my Dunhill collection is to start collecting Dunhills, but that ain't gonna happen. Dr Grabow has got me spoiled to great smoking pipes.
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 3):
Mr BeardsleyRusticatedThelonious monkfish
Image
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Kevin Keith wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:18 am
All I need to finish my Dunhill collection is to start collecting Dunhills, but that ain't gonna happen. Dr Grabow has got me spoiled to great smoking pipes.
Same here. Between all of my handmades and various brands that have been great smokers, I don't see a need to start trying to buy vintage Dunhill stuff. I'd much rather keep hunting down "the" grabow that catches my eye or another sasieni second etc etc. That 15k starting bid would buy a whole lot of tobacco :lol:
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 3):
Kevin KeithRusticatedThelonious monkfish
May contain lead paint
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 3466
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:49 pm
That 15k starting bid would buy a whole lot of tobacco :lol:
Or Grabows

Or cobs with Forever stems

I'll stop now.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 3):
Mr BeardsleyThelonious monkfishRusticated
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:26 pm

My own topic piqued my curiosity and so I searched the bay for Dunhill Christmas pipes and found a second set all numbers matching but 1 (says his dealer screwed up) For pipes that were supposedly limited to a production of 500 per year there sure seems to be a lot of them for sale
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 2):
Fr_TomRusticated
May contain lead paint
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:23 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:49 pm
That 15k starting bid would buy a whole lot of tobacco :lol:
Or Grabows

Or cobs with Forever stems

I'll stop now.
Since I've pretty much been smoking only briars and meers let's split the difference and go with Grabow's and tobacco :lol:
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomThelonious monkfishRusticated
May contain lead paint
User avatar
Fr_Tom
Chaplain
Posts: 3466
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Diocese of Northern Indiana

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:26 pm
My own topic piqued my curiosity and so I searched the bay for Dunhill Christmas pipes and found a second set all numbers matching but 1 (says his dealer screwed up) For pipes that were supposedly limited to a production of 500 per year there sure seems to be a lot of them for sale
I have seen another complete set with matching numbers too. Maybe they could be pre-ordered that way?
This post by Fr_Tom liked by:
Rusticated
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:44 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:26 pm
My own topic piqued my curiosity and so I searched the bay for Dunhill Christmas pipes and found a second set all numbers matching but 1 (says his dealer screwed up) For pipes that were supposedly limited to a production of 500 per year there sure seems to be a lot of them for sale
I have seen another complete set with matching numbers too. Maybe they could be pre-ordered that way?
Possibly. Maybe back then if you were spending Dunhill money at your local b&m they'd make sure you got what you wanted too
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by:
Rusticated
May contain lead paint
User avatar
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member
Posts: 917
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 am

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:14 pm

I noticed that this set didn't sell and is now relisted with an opening bid of 12,500 or best offer. Still crazy money for some pipes in my opinion
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by:
Rusticated
May contain lead paint
Post Reply