Mastercraft Meerschaum

xrundog

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:36 pm

I just picked this up as a "Buy it Now" for $25. I know Master Craft isn't a high end pipe, but it looks like a pretty nice restorable meerschaum for that price. The case looks almost perfect and it (the case) is stamped "Genuine Block Meerschaum". Looks like a winner to me.

This post by xrundog liked by (total 8):
MikeDennisonhoutenzielFr_TomKevin KeithncrobbThelonious monkfishWhalehead KingLegion
MikeDennison
Member in Good Standing

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:42 pm

I likee!
This post by MikeDennison liked by (total 2):
Fr_TomLegion
Rusticated

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Looks like it's worth every cent to me...nice find, nice price.
This post by Rusticated liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomMikeDennisonLegion
ted
Old Timer

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:36 pm

xrundog wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:36 pm
I just picked this up as a "Buy it Now" for $25. I know Master Craft isn't a high end pipe, but it looks like a pretty nice restorable meerschaum for that price. The case looks almost perfect and it (the case) is stamped "Genuine Block Meerschaum". Looks like a winner to me.

xrundog, I worked with Grabow from 1966 till 1991 and retired as President and COO. From 1974 till 1982 I was on loan to Mastercraft.
There is no-one left alive that knows more about the history of Mastercraft than I do.
I have little time today to give a lesson on Mastercraft, But I will..

In the meantime.... This is my second one. The first one lasted for 40 years and finally disintegrated from use. It was, without a question, the best pipe I ever owned.... And I gave away 300+ smoked pipes when I retired.

ted
This post by ted liked by (total 8):
MikeDennisonhoutenzielMr BeardsleyThelonious monkfishxrundogKevin KeithncrobbLegion
xrundog

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks for the post Ted. Looks like both pipes definitely have the same pedigree. I've seen some nice Mastercraft pipes over the years. I just never paid a lot of attention to them because I was collecting other pipes at the time. In the first post I should have said "Mastercraft isn't considered a high end pipe." Doesn't mean there aren't good ones out there.
This post by xrundog liked by (total 4):
tedThelonious monkfishLegionMikeDennison
xrundog

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:13 pm

I was preparing to detail my pipe today when I noticed something amiss. Using a magnifying glass I could see a very fine hairline crack on the bottom of the pipe. Easy to miss, no foul. I contacted the seller for a return and he sent me a nice note apologizing, telling me to keep the pipe, and refunded my $$. Good guy! traco007, recommended!
This post by xrundog liked by (total 7):
houtenzielMr BeardsleyKevin KeithtedThelonious monkfishLegionMikeDennison
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:57 pm

xrundog wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:13 pm
I was preparing to detail my pipe today when I noticed something amiss. Using a magnifying glass I could see a very fine hairline crack on the bottom of the pipe. Easy to miss, no foul. I contacted the seller for a return and he sent me a nice note apologizing, telling me to keep the pipe, and refunded my $$. Good guy! traco007, recommended!
Wow, that's above and beyond, huh? He wants to keep those positive marks!
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 2):
LegionMikeDennison
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:06 pm

If it turns into a "smoke it until it can't be smoked" pipe, it might go through the same phases as the Medico meer.

This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 4):
Mr BeardsleyThelonious monkfishLegionMikeDennison
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Whalehead King
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:26 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:06 pm
If it turns into a "smoke it until it can't be smoked" pipe, it might go through the same phases as the Medico meer.

Is that Bondo I see?

I could find a video specifically geared to the pipe smoker.
This post by Whalehead King liked by (total 2):
LegionMikeDennison
----Just some joker in New Orleans who happens to have time on his hands while running a tiny hotel.
xrundog

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:29 pm

I agree Tom. I can't sell it. I'll likely try and run some tobacco through it just for kicks. This pipe has what I believe is a Revelation ghost. Sure hope I can exorcise it.
This post by xrundog liked by (total 2):
LegionMikeDennison