Keto/Atkins Diets

MikeDennison

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:41 am

racinghoss wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:39 pm
Geeze, being new around here I feel like I am digging up all the old threads.

I started keto in September of 2013. I was 300 lbs and could barely run to the mailbox. Being a former infantry Marine, I hated myself.

I lost 85 lbs in 8 months. Then gained some back the right way...in the gym. I have maintained at about 235 ever since. I am not always full-on keto, but I do drink whiskey...nearly every day I will pour a finger or two. It has never hurt me or knocked me out of ketosis (yes, I check sometimes). Perhaps heavier drinking would...???

At any rate, I stay low carb always. 50 carbs is a binge. I lift weights thrice per week and run twice, anywhere from 3-10 miles every time. It took a long time to get there. But, it isn't the exercise that keeps me lean, it is the diet. You can't out-exercise a poor diet.

Keto works.
Thanks for diggin' up the old thread! Dear Sweetie has been talking to be about doing something for my health...mentioned keto. I'll look into it now. :)
This post by MikeDennison liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomMiddle Earthracinghoss
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:33 am

MikeDennison wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:41 am

Thanks for diggin' up the old thread! Dear Sweetie has been talking to be about doing something for my health...mentioned keto. I'll look into it now. :)
Give it a try. I claim you will like it.
This post by Fr_Tom liked by (total 4):
MaynardMiddle EarthKevin KeithMikeDennison
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Middle Earth

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:46 am

I am on Moo's Slow Carb Diet. It works. I count calories. You can find weight loss calorie calculators online to figure out what amount of calories fits best with your weight loss goals. I could not stand keto, wish I could. But I am determined. Two months in, I am down from 233 to 217. I reversed engineered what I eat to equal the calories, fiber and nutrition I wanted. I take a lot of whole food organic supplements. I have gone up and down and now I am finally determined to make it. Had to change my eating habits and stick to the plan. Personally, I believe Slow Carb is the healthiest diet, but it is not the fastest. But, you can easily lose 8 pounds a month. In the end, a healthy weight is best for body, soul and Spirit. Hope you all get there. Sounds like we have some big, strong, fit members.
This post by Middle Earth liked by:
Kevin Keith
sisyphus
Site Admin

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:00 am

sitting at 210 and feel just a wee bit dough-y yet. Think I'm gonna shoot for a slow loss down to 205 and then stay there.
This post by sisyphus liked by (total 2):
Middle EarthKevin Keith
Longshanks

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:42 pm

I can't find any supportive evidence online, but I think smoking your calories could help men lose weight. Just put a pipe rack on top of the fridge and reach for it every time you feel like opening the fridge door. A pipe in your mouth in lieu of calories - it could work, right?

On a serious note, I've heard of Keto and I think we even have a book on it. Problem is getting the ol' lady to buy anything but junk food when she shops. Being an ol' Army boy, I could eat leather if it dropped pounds and packed on muscle. I used to love working out and eating healthy. Then I met this dear, sweat redneck gal who was clearly brainwashed by Dominos Pizza into believing Dr Pepper and Ultimate Pepperoni make for a good healthy meal three times a day.
This post by Longshanks liked by (total 3):
houtenzielFr_TomPeacock
Longshanks
"He who shall, so shall he... wait, who?" :?