Boiled Peanuts...and Tinned Fish

Whalehead King

For a thread about boiled peanuts, this has taken an unexpected turn. Why start a new one?

I wasn't even thinking about pickled herring but, man, I love that. I don't think I've seen it since I moved to New Orleans. I used to eat if for breakfast in Boston all the time --- we lived near a Polish neighborhood and every store had it. Pickled in that wine sauce. Mmmmmm.... I'm daydreaming.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Whalehead King wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:57 am For a thread about boiled peanuts, this has taken an unexpected turn. Why start a new one?

I wasn't even thinking about pickled herring but, man, I love that. I don't think I've seen it since I moved to New Orleans. I used to eat if for breakfast in Boston all the time --- we lived near a Polish neighborhood and every store had it. Pickled in that wine sauce. Mmmmmm.... I'm daydreaming.
Being part Pollock, I grew in a Polish neighborhood, went to a Polish catholic school and frequently ate picked herring with the oldy's back when everyone was still around. Good times! We were surrounded by bakeries and butchers
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I like the wine sauce pickled herring but the creamed herring, not so much. I can eat the sour cream herring on a bagel or challah, with the herring sliced real thin, not the big chunks. Tinned smoked kippers...mahvelous.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I am having a tin of the Beach Cliff sardine steaks this afternoon.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Bamarick

Kevin Keith wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:49 pm
Bamarick wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:34 pm I recently bought 2 cans of Sardines to have on hand in case of an emergency. Saturday I felt an emergency coming on so I opened a tin. Now guys I've had sardines before, but for some reason I simply could not get past the smell. I tossed the whole tin out in the back yard where they could be scarfed up by the neighbor's cat.
Rookie!
I'll admit to that although I used to keep a tin of sardines and spam spread along with a sleeve of crackers in my work truck just in case I was stuck in the middle of nowhere at lunch time. (We were only allowed 2 miles of travel to eat). I guess my tastes have changed over the years or something as it's been 20 years or so since I had eaten any sardines. The Sardines I bought were King Oscar "Skinless & Boneless canned in Olive Oil. I thought the would be better than the Great Value brand.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Bamarick

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:20 pm
Bamarick wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:34 pm I recently bought 2 cans of Sardines to have on hand in case of an emergency. Saturday I felt an emergency coming on so I opened a tin. Now guys I've had sardines before, but for some reason I simply could not get past the smell. I tossed the whole tin out in the back yard where they could be scarfed up by the neighbor's cat.
So the pickled or creamed Herring is a no go? Next time by a tin of sardines in tomato sauce.
I don't know a thing about Herring so I can't really answer the question. I've seen the pickled variety at the grocery, but the thought of buying a jar has never crossed my mind. If they're anything like the Sardines I had I'll probably pass on buying any.

IF I buy Sardines again I'll go with the cheaper Beach Cliff brand, again canned in Olive Oil as that's the way I like the smoked Oysters I sometimes buy. I like Oysters just about any way they can be prepared although I no longer eat them raw due to my Diabetes Doc suggesting that I shouldn't.
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!
Ellis You
Member in Good Standing

I can't handle the sardines, never could enjoy them when I tried.
Boiled peanuts are always great in the fall when they are picked fresh and boiled with plenty of salt. Fresh boiled peanuts mean it's time for some football in my part of the world! This time of the year it's always a treat to pull a bag of those fall peanuts from the freezer and heat them up.
I was at a minor league baseball game years ago and they were selling fried peanuts. Deep fried in the shell, probably dried and maybe roasted before being fried. What a greasy mess. They tasted ok, pretty much like roasted, but were not worth the trouble of getting your hands so oily.
Whalehead King

Ellis You wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:48 am I can't handle the sardines, never could enjoy them when I tried.
Boiled peanuts are always great in the fall when they are picked fresh and boiled with plenty of salt. Fresh boiled peanuts mean it's time for some football in my part of the world! This time of the year it's always a treat to pull a bag of those fall peanuts from the freezer and heat them up.
I was at a minor league baseball game years ago and they were selling fried peanuts. Deep fried in the shell, probably dried and maybe roasted before being fried. What a greasy mess. They tasted ok, pretty much like roasted, but were not worth the trouble of getting your hands so oily.
I'm not a big fan of Trader Joe's but, on the occasional times I am dragged there, I buy TJ's smoked sardines in olive oil. They are delicious.

The other day, Mrs. King made rice and served it with a can of Apfel smoked trout on top.

Apfel is a German brand. The name means, "Apple" but their logo is a picture of a lobster. Go figure. If you have a World Market near you, that's where I usually find them, though, sometimes, there is Apfel smoked fish products in the supermarket (not the supermarkets I usually go to). Hot rice and cold smoked trout in oil out of a can. Mrs. King can tell you what I said: "This is the best meal we've had in a long time." That didn't exactly win me any affection, but it was really delicious.

Apfel smoked herring in oil is one of my favorite things in the world. The cans are packed tight and the filets are very savory. It's like a taste of heaven.

As for boiled peanuts, they would go well with canned fish. I love canned fish. Anchovies, sardines, herring, even chubs. I'm not a fan of canned salmon. I like it, and my grandfather loved it, but I don't really enjoy the backbones that are in the can. They are soft enough to eat and perfectly safe, but it's a texture thing with me. I'll eat it, though. I'll eat it like steak.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Whalehead King wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:47 pm
I'm not a fan of canned salmon. I like it, and my grandfather loved it, but I don't really enjoy the backbones that are in the can. They are soft enough to eat and perfectly safe, but it's a texture thing with me. I'll eat it, though. I'll eat it like steak.
We had salmon patties just two nights ago. We love 'em. Sometimes I fry, sometimes I bake. Ok, usually I bake. I dump the fishy contents of the special tapered salmon can into the bowl. I leave in the skin and the bones. I take care not to mash up the bones because I like the light crunch. When we had a dog I gave him the skin but he's gone and willful waste makes woeful want. After cooking they get a dousing with ReaLemon, the kind in the lemon shaped squeezie thing, a little ketchup and good to go.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

My wife bakes salmon patties too, but she bakes them with a schmear of mayo on top. I tease her about them and I call them redneck crabcakes. Lol
The Troll Whisperer