The PSF White Bread Thread

Whalehead King

A short documentary about the company that you probably know better for their tasty and addictive Goldfish crackers:

Me, I like to make a sandwich with some nutritious and wholesome Pepperidge Farm bread and then follow it up with a fragrant pipe on my back porch. Mmmm-mmm. That's a satisfying Saturday lunch break.

In New Orleans, we have Bunny Bread. What is the local soft white bread you have near you to construct a tasty sandwich to pair with a nice pipe?
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

My stock may fall in the eyes of the forum members, but I don't eat bread. On a technicality, I receive Communion 7 or 8 times a week between services and pastoral calls.

I think it was in Schmemann's For the Life of the World https://www.amazon.com/Life-World-Sacra ... 0913836087 that Mrs. Murphy has no trouble with the theology of real presence. It is a stretch of her faith to call those wafers "bread" though.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Wooda
Founding Member

Being Vermont, it's Pepperidge Farms.

I haven't had bread in 5 years, though.

Some nights I have a vivid dream of toasting Pepperidge Farms sourdough rye bread, piling it with hot pastrami and drizzling with deli mustard.

I still remember.
Underwater Basketweaver.
Baskets of basket pipes.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

We don't buy white bread anymore, but I love it. Growing up I wasn't involved with the bread choices made at the grocery store, but I remember three brands my mom always bought. First was the brand she bought least often, Mead's Fine Bread. We lived in Midland, Texas, 150 miles from the home of Mead's Fine Bread's first bakery in Abilene, Texas. Mead's Fine Bread was regional, West Texas, Western Oklahoma, and Eastern New Mexico. A large region admittedly. But home base was Abilene. I haven't seen a loaf of Mead's Fine Bread in probably 40 years, so I suppose they have been gobbled up by larger bakeries and phased out. I looked for a commercial but couldn't find one.

I don't know if mom bought bread based on advertising or not but she bought a lot of Wonder Bread. I remember Captain Kangaroo (Bob Keeshan) had Wonder Bread as one of his sponsors. He always advised us to look for the package with the "red, yellow, and blue balloons." I don't remember begging mom to buy Wonder Bread but I might have. The Captain told us that Wonder Bread built strong bodies 12 ways. I couldn't find a commercial of the Captain and Wonder Bread either, but I did find a lot of ads with Howdy Doody selling kids (and moms) on it. Just as a 6 Degrees of separation, Bob Keeshan played Clarabell the Clown on the Howdy Doody Show for the first few seasons.

I'll tell you about the most popular bread in our house in another post. And I'll share with you some of my favorite sandwich recipes. They're not all on white bread though...one of them calls for pumpernickel. Same bread time, same bread channel!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

"That's what I said" is the Bunny Bread slogan too.

We need the "National Joy" white bread.

Old Ted Award - 2017
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:45 pm "That's what I said" is the Bunny Bread slogan too.

I hadn't heard of Bunny Bread until WK mentioned it. Was/is it a regional bread? I'm guessing yes.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:51 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:45 pm "That's what I said" is the Bunny Bread slogan too.

I haven't heard of Bunny Bread. Was it a regional bread?
I think it is a Southern thang. I thought they made it in Nashville. WHK says they make it in Louisiana.

Old Ted Award - 2017
ncrobb
Founding Member

I grew up with Bunny and Sunbeam as the white loaf bread in the house. We always had either cat head biscuits or yeast rolls (both made from scratch) on the table. Funny how that store bought sliced stuff seemed high end back then. I will tell you that it don’t get any better that home grown tomatoes, white bread and Duke’s.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I eat very little bread and when I do it's whole wheat. Growing up there was always a loaf of wonder bread in the house and once wonder bread changed (you know, new and improved) I stopped eating white bread
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Whalehead King

It is:

There is a giant Bunny Bread bakery in New Orleans. I haven't tried it. I eat the bread we serve at our small hotel and nobody comes to New Orleans to eat super-soft supermarket white bread. As I've gotten older, I've grown to prefer bread with a crust that offers some resistance.

I did go to the outlet at the bakery once (I almost typed factory) and bought a loaf, but I only bought it to feed to the ducks in City Park at the end of our street.